Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Settling on Front Jacks, Hydraulic

This is a continuation of a discussion which began (off-topic) at Glenn & Jan's thread " Initial Experiences With Our New 2011 33RSE Limited (VERY Long)"

Several of us owners (at least me and Tom) have experienced settling of the roadside front hydraulic jack a few days after setup. My coach is a 2008 35FLR and Tom's is a much newer, and more modern, 2010 33RSO. Tom and I had both been handling the problem by going out every few days and jogging the subject jack to bring the coach back to level. I spoke with Jack at the PI Service Center on the matter and he advised me as follows: There's a solenoid valve at the top of the jack. Sometimes a piece of debris/FOD gets into this valve to prevent a complete closure. Use a 5/32" Allen wrench to turn the screw at the "top" of the valve (my valve lies horizontally so the screw is in a horixontal axis) clockwise approximately 1/4 turn. Cycle the jack to flush out the valve and return the screw to it's original position.

I found the solenoid valve just as Jack had described it, behind a very well caulked access cover. With the trailer sitting on the truck hitch I followed Jack's directions cycling the jack about 6" in each direction before I returned the screw to its original position. Within two days settling had recurred. Time for another try. On the second try I turned the screw approximately 140* (3/8 turn) and cycled the jack until it almost touched the ground and within 1" of the top - two cycles each way. Now, four days later, no more settling in the front roadside jack. Seems the problem is resolved.

Hope this helps someone. Note that janieD has reported that her 2010 Owners Manual states that settling of up to 1/4" per day is normal. I don't know what to think about this, other than I wouldn't want to have to relevel my coach ever day, or two, forever.

Jim

(How'd I do, Tom?)
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2010, 02:35 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
"I found the solenoid valve just as Jack had described it, behind a very well caulked access cover."

You done good, Jim!! My only question is what's all this about "a very well caulked access cover"? Are your solenoids mounted at the top of the jack like mine? Mine are wide open.....look at the pix below. rockin'

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Tom,

If I was successful following the directions I found elsewhere, photos of my setup are below. My valve is not out in the open (see cover) and the valve body/manifold hangs off to the side of the ram. Looks to me like we have different valves. A call to Jack might be in order for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Jack Solenoid Valve 001.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	4991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Jack Solenoid Valve 006.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	4992  

Old 08-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #4

Mine are out in the open similar to yours, Rockin'. BTW - you've also note that those are the valves to move (turn?) should you ever loose electrical power and have to resort to an electric drill to turn the hydraulic motor to raise/lower the front legs. Those solenoids are the ones to turn to get the legs to move in the needed direction. David
Old 08-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Bona View Post
Tom,

If I was successful following the directions I found elsewhere, photos of my setup are below. My valve is not out in the open (see cover) and the valve body/manifold hangs off to the side of the ram. Looks to me like we have different valves. A call to Jack might be in order for you.

Jim, is your front basement framed for a generator?
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookIIRoadtrash View Post
Jim, is your front basement framed for a generator?
Yes, we opted for the Generator Box as a method of subdividing the basement. Do you think that's why the top of my jack isn't out in the open? I noticed in Tom's photos that his valve seems to be mounted to the end of the hydraulic cylinder, whereas my cylinder looks to sit inside the square tube to which the solenoid valve is mounted. Having said all that, I'd guess that Jack will tell Tom that this same fix will work in his case.

I am still wondering about janieD's information which states that settling of up to 1/4" per day is normal. Is anyone really experiencing, and living with, this situation?

Jim
Old 08-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:

I am still wondering about janieD's information which states that settling of up to 1/4" per day is normal. Is anyone really experiencing, and living with, this situation?

Jim

No, but a couple of weeks ago when I was road tripping I stopped at a CG for over night. I dollied down and ruffly leveled. The next morn when I was re-hooking I notice that I had one of the front jacks off of the ground, I must have been in too big a hurry to get that shower and some rest! So my rig stood all night three legged.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Three years now and my hydraulic jacks don't "settle" after one day or three or 60.

I have a generator box in my 33RSE. The solenoid also sits behind a "very well caulked access cover." I removed that cover with effort only a few days ago because my front passenger jack would not retract. Turned out to be a short in the master control box.
For about one year, I would notice my road side slide had moved out while towing. Jack said that there was a leak in the valve for the return valve for that slide at the motor. He sent me a new valve and solenoid assembly. Just before I was ready to install it, the problem stopped. So I keep it as a spare.

I believe the solenoids at the jacks and the solenoids at the motor are the same.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Tom,

Did you go after your jack settling issue, or .............

I doubt that SKIA will tolerate this relevelling business much longer.

Jim
Old 08-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Tom,

Did you go after your jack settling issue, or .............

I doubt that SKIA will tolerate this relevelling business much longer.

Jim
Jim,

I haven't done a thing on it.....to me it's not that bad... I've been busy with other issues. It not that big a problem....but the wine and Valium seems to takes the edge off!!!! Just kidding.
I may fool with it sometime soon. RockinsMellowingOutInHisOldAge
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 08-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #11

Actually Rockin if you would shift the Oak Poop storage over to the other side you might have better luck staying level. Those jacks can only handle so much.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:27 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Moto,

Another great one liner......reminds me of the 132 bottle wine cooler I saw at Costco the other day.....Mama be sayin' NO!!! If I did get it.....I would take your wonderful advise and put it on the curbside! rockin'
Old 08-19-2010, 12:38 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Moto,

Another great one liner......reminds me of the 132 bottle wine cooler I saw at Costco the other day.....Mama be sayin' NO!!! If I did get it.....I would take your wonderful advise and put it on the curbside! rockin'
Personally, I'd recommend that the 132 bottle cooler be located at the curbside rear quadrant to get maximum benefit as regards offloading the roadside front jack.

Jim
Old 08-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Moto,

I don't think a 132 bottle wine cooler is big enough for Rockin. You need to do like us Rednecks and get a horse tank and ice your wine down. Then you will have more then enough supply. If not, just get a bigger horse tank and put it on the HDT your going to buy.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote