Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
JDT

Shocking

After researching what you experts said about changing shocks I ordered a set of Monroe Gas Magnum's for the Winslow. Amazon had them for $28 and change and free shipping. Everything I read said the correct part number was 555001. The part number on my China shocks was the same as some others who did the change.

For those who have done this can you get the old ones off and new ones on without removing the wheel? Looks tight under there.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Jim:

I am interested in your installation and the effects on your ride.

Keep me posted,

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Hey guys,

Here's the poop on the shocks.......Here rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Thanks, Tom.

I have not plowed back through 5 years of posts!

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 09-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Thanks, Tom.

I have not plowed back through 5 years of posts!
You are makin' it too darn hard. Just go the main Excel forum page and click on search this forum and put in a key word, etc.

There alot of history BS here!!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 09-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
You are makin' it too darn hard. Just go the main Excel forum page and click on search this forum and put in a key word, etc.

There alot of history BS here!!!! rockin'
That's what I do, search the Excel Forum.

But there is a lot of BS to wade through.

I was a moderator on the now extinct Sunnybrook Talk Forum. The sponsor (not Sunnybrook) decided to pull their support and shut down the forum without notice. Years of posts and technical info lost . It was sad to see everything vanish.

Many of the members migrated over to My RV Talk. I've been a regular participant there since 2007.

Many years ago I was quite active on iRV2. Somehow a couple of thousand of my posts got lost in an upgrade. Also sad.

Since I'm the new Excel kid on the block, I'll offer what little info I can share. My recent Winslow order was an experience. It's hard to know what to order when there are no Excels in your area to look at. That will change, the new Excel dealer in North Texas plans to order and keep several Excel models on the lot .

Bryan was very patient. He answered my (many) questions. They made the 34IKE just like I wanted. Thanks, Bryan.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 09-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If you can twist a wrench and ratchet and sockets, you can do the change. Did mine on my 05 SKW almost a year ago. Hardest part was crawling under the trailer and yes you can do the change without removing the wheels. Nothing to base this on, but, the trailer does SEEM to ride smoother.
RET FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
So easy to do.......I did mine in a Walmart parking lot early one Sunday morning. Then went up to Tug and did a LOF. No wise cracks.......not a drop hit the ground.......I can remember when we put our old used oil along the fence line to keep the weeds down.........when you know better you do better. Almost OT....rockin'
Old 09-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
After researching what you experts said about changing shocks I ordered a set of Monroe Gas Magnum's for the Winslow. Amazon had them for $28 and change and free shipping. Everything I read said the correct part number was 555001. The part number on my China shocks was the same as some others who did the change.

For those who have done this can you get the old ones off and new ones on without removing the wheel? Looks tight under there.
JDT
Just did mine with the Monroe 555001 shocks a couple of months ago on my 2007 35 FLR. Piece of cake like rockin said. Nuts came off easy and you don't have to remove the wheels. Have the slides in when you do it and it's easier.
ride seems better but really hard to check. The old POS china shocks should be outlawd. Good luck, and safe travels.
cwo4mstumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
JDT

Thanks for the replies. Our next trip is to Branson on the 4th. Got some nice rough roads up US 69 to catch I44 so may be able to do a comparison with before and after. May not help all that much but it can't hurt. At least the cost is reasonable. When I upgraded the shocks on the motorhome to Koni's they were $145 each and I needed 8 of them.

One of the reasons I wanted to try this is we were having problems keeping our tv in place. We have the swing out arm and almost every time the latch would work loose with the bouncing and the tv would extend out until it hit the side of the slide. We have the rear kitchen model and the tv is just forward of the roadside slide in an angled cabinet. Our dealer did some modifications and made it much more solid when latched so hopefully that and the new shocks will resolve that issue.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #11

take some old foam rubber packing material, fold in half and wedge it behind each side of the tv to make it firm during travel. never had a problem with my swing-out arm......mjf.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
I did 6 shocks in about 35 minutes. The ride has much better control when going over rough roads.

RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #13

Put four new Monroe's on my RV today. Piece of cake. Got them at O'Reilly for $36 a piece. Used the 555001. Now to see how the ride is going from San Antonio to Yuma next month. I have 22000 towing miles on the RV. It had really started to shack things around a lot more than in the beginning.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARRET View Post
Put four new Monroe's on my RV today. Piece of cake. Got them at O'Reilly for $36 a piece. Used the 555001. Now to see how the ride is going from San Antonio to Yuma next month. I have 22000 towing miles on the RV. It had really started to shack things around a lot more than in the beginning.
Arret,

Sounds like you paid a bit more than me.....but I think you'll like the results.