Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2008, 04:07 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
This morning I've discovered the dreaded "Shower Faucet Leak" that has been reported several times here.

With John and Tom's help, we've diagnosed the problem offline but now I need to remove the dryer from over the washer to access the panel to the shower controls as they share the same wall.

To remove the dryer, I have to remove the door and doorjam to the closet that contains the W/D. I've got the door off and am wondering if there is a "trick" to removing the trim without just simply prying it off.

I hate this so much I'd rather go to a gunfight with a pocket knife than to attempt this. I'm so not handy that I usually tear up more than I fix on a project this large but we are in the backside of no where and there is no immediately available help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2008, 04:07 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
This morning I've discovered the dreaded "Shower Faucet Leak" that has been reported several times here.

With John and Tom's help, we've diagnosed the problem offline but now I need to remove the dryer from over the washer to access the panel to the shower controls as they share the same wall.

To remove the dryer, I have to remove the door and doorjam to the closet that contains the W/D. I've got the door off and am wondering if there is a "trick" to removing the trim without just simply prying it off.

I hate this so much I'd rather go to a gunfight with a pocket knife than to attempt this. I'm so not handy that I usually tear up more than I fix on a project this large but we are in the backside of no where and there is no immediately available help.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:40 AM   #3

Virg, just looked at the closet area on my unit, 2001, it sounds like the shower and W/D closet is simular. On the top, bottom and right sides I have screws that attach the face frame to an additional strip that is likewise attached to the side walls with screws. The left side has no fasteners that are seen. Would have to assume either hidden nails or dowels.

Might try removing the screws that holds the face frame to the wall and tapping lighly behind, from inside the closet, the left side to see if it moves from the walls frame.

On my unit the shower fauset and washer plumbing is on the same wall. The shower access is about 6" higher and closer to the door than the washer controls.

When you mention about removing the dryer.....is it a stack unit and connected to the washer....or is it separate and sits on top of the washer. If it sits on top and not connected and the shower access panel is accessable, would it be possible to raise the dryer high enough to get to the access that way. But we are assuming it's the shower thats leaking as both of my shower and washer connections are in the same area.

Hope something helped.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:09 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Virg,

I just looked at my unit and all of my trim is installed in the same way as Chris describes. On the left side I can see that the jamb is stapled to the common wall with the shower. I don't think I would pry it off. If you did and didn't get it back on right you will have problems with the fit on the door when you put it back. I like Workshop's idea of raising the dryer. Hope that works.

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:09 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Thanks guys. Raising the dryer was not an option...the access door was too high so...

the outside trimwork is installed with wire nails from a gun. With a screwdriver and a lot of patience I eased the woodtrim off both sides and then the plastic jam just popped out. I'l need to reinstall it with small finish nails and a tack hammer. It'll work just fine.

Of course I pulled a muscle in my lower back taking the dryer off the wall by myself but got it out. The access panel was readily apparent and there was a leak on the cold water side. I also found a smallish leak on the hot water side of the washer feed.

I'm just not sure these two little leaks produced all this water but I am no expert.

I hand tightened the plastic fittings on the back of the shower wall and mopped it dry and put a fan on it to try to dry out the fibreglass of the shower wall. It appears to have stopped the leak without taking apart the shower control. (I'm open for suggestions here)

We've been mopping up water from the indentation in the top of the graywater tank for about an hour and it is still coming...water smells like it is fresh water so I'm going to assume it all came from this leak.

Apparently it has been leaking in the basement for a while and just now got into the carpet inside.

Oh well, we'll continue to try to dry it out and see what we see.

I wish I could find the words to explain how much I hate messing with this crap....this is not a good day.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
'Bubba', I think you found the problem and fixed it!! Proud of you son! No, it's not fun and I'm sure you have better things to do with your time. I'm glad our collective input helped you find the problem.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:48 AM   #7

Virg,

Sorry about your back. Know not easy to get to or handle by oneself.

Glad you made it this far and have found the possible problems. A leak not noticed can go a long way before it gets our attention. Since you said you will leave the dryer out for a bit. Might check it again when a shower is taking place. There has been discussion about leaks cause by the shower fixture being loose and leaking between the fixture and shower wall. Sure you have already checked those nuts. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:23 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Chris,

The shower control is tight (doesn't wobble when you adjust the shower) and additionally the handnuts that secure it to the wall are snug. (I realize those things are redundant but I'm trying to be clear)

After I handtightened the plastic fittings that appear to secure the plastic pipe fittings to the shower control (on the back side through the access pannel) we ran the shower for 10 minutes and did not see a leak.

We are going to leave everything disassembled until we can dry things out a bit more and then try one water faucet at a time to see if we can detect any leaks...then we'll begine to reassemble everything.

I did discover a third leak. When the shower is running, the shower drain is leaking directly onto the basement floor between where it attaches to the shower floor and also in a joint where it attached to the p trap. Of course that pipe is plastic also and so I just tried to hand tighten it...no help. It still is leaking so I think I'm going to put a big pot under that drip and wait until we get to a service center.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:00 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Sounds like you are making progress, that's good. Mine leaked when the water in the shower was running. There is also a thread on here about the shower drains leaking. It will help when you get ready to tackle that problem. Sorry to hear about your back.

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Paul,

We are making progress. I really like the stage we're in now...sitting here in this recliner waiting for things to dry out

I read the thread you mentioned and think I'll owrry about that leak a little later. If I can fix the two we have and make sure they are stopped AND THEN get all this stuff back together, I may go into town and visit the Starbucks and pay $6 for a 3 shot Venti Mocha, non-fat, no whip and celebrate.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:41 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
My sympathy. For me there isn't anything worse than plumbing problems. When we put in the washer dryer they advised a brass pressure regulator to both hot and cold for the washer. I bought them and installed as directed. Two months later a leak, had to remove the dryer and all trim etc to find the o ring in the regulator had failed on the hot water side. Now have to remove both washer and dryer as well as all trim again, as a hose has apparently poped off somewhere in the washer as we have water runing everywhere when we try to use it. Its in storage now as we are currently using our pusher, but that is our July things to do list.
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Ace,
Long time no hear. Really sorry to hear about your W/D problems as well.

Today I have become intimate with our basement!

Sure hope you find your issue to be easily repairable once you get the washer out.

V
Old 05-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
OK, back to the future, er I mean problem.

We dried up (most) everything and reconnected the water. When I ran the cold in the shower, this time I got substantive leaking coming out the back of the fixture. On the back of the fixture where it comes through the wall into the access panel, there is a plastic "washer" about the size of a poker chip and then a plastic "nut". I have tightened that "nut" as tight as possible and it still leaks.

Does this mean a malfunction in the faucet requiring replacement or do I just need to seal around that hole and let the excess water "leak" into the shower side?
Old 05-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #14

Question:

With the shower spraying.....was the water hitting the opposite wall, and the wall with the valve body, fauset, dry? If so, might be a valve in the fauset thats the problem or a connection.

or

if water is running down the wall with the fauset body and it's getting wet. Might be leaking at the fauset base plate. It might not be seated right or mispositioned. Might have to loosen or remove the hoses and fauset base to check. There had been a big discussion on this last year. I've always used plumbers putty behind the plate.

Don't know is sealing behind the washer, poker chip, would be a long term solution.