Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Paul,

So glad you got the faucet. I'm sure that faucet is well worth the $28 bucks you paid. Journey on and enjoy! Sorry you missed the crew at RV Sales...they are the best! Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #16

Paul,

glad that everything is "dry" with the world.

Butch50,

mineral spirits or a product like Goof off will clean the residue. Just use it damp on a paper towel. Also can use a plastic tool or knife to clean up the edges. Whenever we apply the putty to the base plates of shower or sink faucets, a thin flat ribbon is all thats needed. On the sink drains it could have the problem you discribe. Mainly because of the "hole" your trying to fill. In a stick built home its rarely a problem, in a rolling home you could have a problem of movement. If you are having to remove excess putty that much, you might want to check the nut on the sinks basin to ensure its tight from time to time. As the putty forms a gasket/seal that helps keeps the water in the "sink", it seals between the basin flange and sink. (A rubber gasket is used between the basin nut/washer and the sink base) If it gets loose you could develope a minor leak under the sink. Not ment to alarm,just information.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Hey Paul,

It's good to hear that you got that leak fixed. Hope you guys are having a great trip. I just heard it snowed a bit in Pittsburgh last night.. I know you hated missing that.

Daryl

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW
headinsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Workshop,

Thanks for the tip on how to clean up the plumbers putty.

Paul,

Glad to hear you got your shower fixed up.
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to all for their input on the shower faucet issue. I removed the mirror in our MKO and there was the access hole Bryan mentioned. All was dry -- I did take this time to remove the shower faucet, turning it upside down on reinstall. Cleaned all the old caulk around the shower surround and re-caulked.

I also removed the skylight cover as we have had water leaks in this area. There was no evidence of water damage. The source of this water is the toilet room vent and it only happens during heavy downpours. The water appears to migrate to the ceiling A/C vent between the shower surround and the toilet room door and across to the shower skylight. SC folks can check during our visit after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:33 AM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Chief, why turn the faucets upside down? Also what sort of sealant do you use on the skylight and vent covers etc. Need to do my MKO this year.

Chief Cramer
Travelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:30 AM   #21

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChiefJohn:
Thanks to all for their input on the shower faucet issue. I removed the mirror in our MKO and there was the access hole Bryan mentioned. All was dry -- I did take this time to remove the shower faucet, turning it upside down on reinstall. Cleaned all the old caulk around the shower surround and re-caulked.

I also removed the skylight cover as we have had water leaks in this area. There was no evidence of water damage. The source of this water is the toilet room vent and it only happens during heavy downpours. The water appears to migrate to the ceiling A/C vent between the shower surround and the toilet room door and across to the shower skylight. SC folks can check during our visit after Thanksgiving. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John,

If you recall, I identified the plastic Vent Line roof vent as a leak problem about 18 months ago. Las summer when I was at the SC they removed the plastic vent and replaced it with the metal vent like the one they use on the black tank vent. The original plastic vent had a sleeve that protruded into the attic and over the sleeve was attached the plastic hose which in turn attaches to the exhaust fan in the little room. I suspicion that the metal cap which is designed to go over a PVC pipe is open to the attic and that the exhaust hose is not attached to anything. Otherwise, any water getting into that vent would have to migrate to the exhaust fan just as it was doing with the original cover. You might want to address this while you are at the SC, I plan to. The exhaust hose needs to be attached to the vent.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:36 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Bill,
Turned the faucet over to alleviate any future problems with water leaks around the hose connection. I did not caulk the skylight inner cover as it was not caulked from the factory.

Bob,
Thanks for the possible fix for our bathroom vent leak -- I'm sure Jack will find the cause and fix the problem. Hopefully, our problems with water leaks/damage will be corrected and we won't have any further issues.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:12 PM   #23

Travelor,

You asked what type of sealant/caulk to use. If you was referring to the outside...In the mid-Oct Topic: Caulk, it was suggested that the Dicor White self-leveling lap sealant 501LSW, formulated for 1/4 to 3/8" bead be used. Dicor also has a non-sag lap sealant also.

I have used these products on both rubber and now the fiberglass roof and have been pleased with the results.

Hoped something helped
Old 11-20-2007, 03:31 AM   #24

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChiefJohn:
Bob,
Thanks for the possible fix for our bathroom vent leak -- I'm sure Jack will find the cause and fix the problem. Hopefully, our problems with water leaks/damage will be corrected and we won't have any further issues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lets hope! Water intrusion and water system leaks are really the only complaints I have had with this coach. But, then these are major concerns. An RV with water problems will not last. If this trend persists it has potential to really blemish the Excel reputation, personally, I would rather not see that happen.

Bangs, Texas
Old 11-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ditto Bob -- PI has stepped up to the plate and taken care of these issues outside the normal warranty period. For this I give them an A+! However, I wish Jack and his crew had checked for the "known" issues with lag bolts and slide-out floor damage when we were there in June. This would have saved us a return trip, not that I don't find SC a great place to visit. Gives me an excuse to exercise "Semi-Suite" before we head south after XMAS.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:23 AM   #26

Excel Owners Club
All true and don't forget going to the SC again will also give us an opportunity to buy some of this $3.50 diesel. I bet it's really a bargain up in Kansas, especially along I35.

Bangs, Texas
Old 11-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #27

Excel Owners Club
Oh my goodness Bob,

Do I detect a wee bit of sarcasm!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:39 AM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Surely not?

Bangs, Texas