Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
75v

Tuesday Sept 4th
My '05 33 RKO vin5229 is currently at the Service Center for slide out rebuild due to water leakage in the end walls that caused considerable floor damage and fungus plants growing out of the rotted wood, carpet and even down the outside.

I appreciate PI providing customer goodwill warranty extension when it obviously should be given as this unit has had problem after problem since delivery (fifth factory warranty trip) -some of them Excels fault, some suppliers fault and some just nobodies fault and many of them I have just fixed myself when I could but some broken things have to be fixed at the factory and so far PI has stood behind their product beyond the original 2 yr warranty period and for that I am appreciative.
My current concern is making sure what caused this damage is also not happening in the other slides.
Bryan - Perhaps if you have time we could visit when Jack calls for me to come back to pick-up my Unit'
Thanks
llb @ miw

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #2
75v

Tuesday Sept 4th
My '05 33 RKO vin5229 is currently at the Service Center for slide out rebuild due to water leakage in the end walls that caused considerable floor damage and fungus plants growing out of the rotted wood, carpet and even down the outside.

I appreciate PI providing customer goodwill warranty extension when it obviously should be given as this unit has had problem after problem since delivery (fifth factory warranty trip) -some of them Excels fault, some suppliers fault and some just nobodies fault and many of them I have just fixed myself when I could but some broken things have to be fixed at the factory and so far PI has stood behind their product beyond the original 2 yr warranty period and for that I am appreciative.
My current concern is making sure what caused this damage is also not happening in the other slides.
Bryan - Perhaps if you have time we could visit when Jack calls for me to come back to pick-up my Unit'
Thanks
llb @ miw

Old 09-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #3

Hi 75v,

Sorry to hear you're having problems ... five factory warranty trips must be frustrating. I'm glad to hear though that PI is providing extended warranty coverage. Hopefully you don't live too far away from the SC.

Let us know how it turns out.

Bob
Old 09-04-2007, 07:12 AM   #4

Ouch ... half your miles for warranty work ... can't imagine how frustrating that would be.

You say some of the problems were nobody's fault ... any chance you could give us an overview of your waranty service items?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:16 AM   #5

Hi 75v,

Sounds like you're hanging in there. You're right, all RVs have problems. I chalk part of it up to weight and cost limitations (if everything was 'bullet-proof', it would either be too heavy or too expensive). So most components are a balance between cost, weight and durability ... with the emphasis on cost and weight more than durability. Since most folks don't full-time, this seems like the best choice.

Yes, I have also had broken (snapped off at the head) lag screws on both end caps; as well as snapped bolts supporting a couple of my slides. Excel has switched to a harder steel bolt to support the slides ... so this should help. It's possible that some of my snapped screws and bolts were a result of the sagging floor.

Bob
Old 09-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Yea, but the Excels supposedly rate very high as a fulltime unit; so durability should be part of it. As for Bob's comment about cost limitations - after pricing a whole lot of other rigs out there, I didn't notice Excel having cost limitations in their rig price.
M&S Norrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:21 PM   #7

No question that Excel is better than most for full-time use; and the price reflects the additional cost of mfg to deliver things like a -10 warranty.

But many of the components (lights, refers, stoves, 1/2 time ovens, water pumps, air conditioners, etc) are produced in volume for general use by many RV firms ... helping to keep the cost lower than if aircraft quality parts were used throughout. Just my thoughts anyway.

Bob
Old 09-05-2007, 01:03 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Wilson:
No question that Excel is better than most for full-time use; and the price reflects the additional cost of mfg to deliver things like a -10 warranty.

But many of the components (lights, refers, stoves, 1/2 time ovens, water pumps, air conditioners, etc) are produced in volume for general use by many RV firms ... helping to keep the cost lower than if aircraft quality parts were used throughout. Just my thoughts anyway.

Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob, you're right on about the cost of aircraft parts. I've spent the last 30 years in the business of designing and supplying major sub-systems to all the aircraft manufacturers.

It's a fact that if our Excels were designed and built to the same standards of durability, safety, reliability, maintainability, and quality as are airplanes that the cost would run upwards of 20 times what we see from PI.

All things considered, I think the folks at SC do an outstanding job of balancing all the "ilities" I mentioned above to provide us with Optimal Value!

Thank you Bryan & Team.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #9

Hi 75v,

I'm curious how things work out ... please keep us posted.

As you know, I was pretty frustrated when I arrived at the SC with the frame problem; but Jack did a great job of doing everything he could to repair the damage. So, I'd recommend that you go in giving Jack the benefit of the doubt.

This isn't to say that I felt whole when I left ... I too have patches. But, after living with the repairs for a couple of weeks, I'm feeling better about the physical condition of my rig ... in the long run, the physical condition is more important than cosmetics.

You may find that Jack will replace the floors in your damaged slides. For your peace of mind, you might consider asking Jack to examine the insulation in the side walls, just to make sure the mold didn't move in there too.

Good luck.

Bob
Old 09-11-2007, 04:40 AM   #10

Hi 75v,

Glad to hear that your walls and floors are fixed. I'd like to know how you feel about the outcome ... please email me at: rmwilson68@hotmail.com

Best wishes,
Bob
Old 09-11-2007, 04:40 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
You sound like a much happier camper today! Would you please share with your fellow Excel owners what caused the problem? It might give us all a heads up as to something we should keep an eye on.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:40 AM   #12

75v, Will you post your solution on this thread for all to see and learn unless you were asked not to of course? If you cant share it here please send it to me via private post/message wich is accesed in my profile. Thanks

2007,30RSO
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:47 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Moved -- no problem. Your original post had not been moved/deleted, you must have overlooked it. I've done this myself
Old 11-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #14

75V,
I would appreciate an analysis of your slide problems.

dmcghee33@sbcglobal.net