Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2009, 06:07 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Slide Problems

I am having problems with the bedroom slide on our 2005 RSE Limited. When we want to pull in the slide, we have to push down on the end of the bed or the clutch on the slide drive motor seems to not want to engage and pull in the slide. If you push down on the end of the bed it works fine. I have removed the inspection plate under the bed that exposes the drive system and can't find anything that looks out of place. One thing I did notice is the drive chain seems to be very tight. Should there be any slack in this chain?
Thanks
Dan
hdgdag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #2

If I remember correctly, Rockin' had a problem with his bedroom slide that had me lookin' and thinkin' about how this slide functions:

With the slide extended/out, does it set even with the wall or does it look slightly tilted....when in, does are the slide flanges (trim on the exterior of the slide) even with the wall when within several inches of being fully closed.

The bedroom slide, on my 2001 33RLE, has the following slide components: With the access hatch removed the motor, gears and chain are visible. The chain on my unit is tight when in or out. You might be able to see some of your metal slide hardware at the other end of the chain.

This hardware on my unit is a metal frame system made up of a frame that is attached to the wood box that makes up the bed's frame. Another part of the system is a tube extender that moves the bed slide in and out. If you are luckly enought you can see most of this by looking within the access area. I sometimes use a mirror for this. To see more of the slide hardware and attachments....you will have to remove the larger inner panel.

My thought is that if you have to push down on the bed to move it correctly, you have either a connection loose between the slide hardware and wood box frame...or...a problem with the wood box frame possibly cracked/binding. With the slide in, try an inspect the beds frame.

Hope something helped,
Old 05-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Dan,

The first thing to look for is whether or not you have a roller wheel mounted to the hardware mechinism at the foot of the bed, and an angle iron fastened along the bed side for the wheel to roll against. The weight of the box (room) when going out or coming in will, by nature force the foot of the bed up. In recent years (I'm not sure about in 2005) we have installed a roller wheel, like on a roller skate, on the mechinism. Then we use an angle iron fastened to the MDF board bed side with the flat part above the wheel. This will hold the base down.

This might not be the only problem with your slide, but it's certainly a good place to start. For better clarification, you might want to give Jack a call at Peterson Ind. 800-368-3759

Bryan
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Dan...
I would like to re-welcome you to iRV2 and the Excel forum! As you can see...this is the absolute best place to get information about your Excel...because how often do you see the President of any other manufacturer providing information to an owners post?

Again..welcome back..we do hope you visit, chime in & post often!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Dan,
We had a similar problem on our 2005 MKO and Jack's crew fixed it -- if I remember correctly, it was a minor adjustment. Exact same circumstances, one of us had to sit on the end of the bed till it started coming in.

Big welcome to iRV2.com and the Excel Owner's Forum.
John
Old 05-01-2009, 11:46 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Dan,
I sent you a PM. Hope that helps! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:49 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Dan,

We had the same problem with our 2005 for several years. In our case if I went outside and just leaned my shoulder against the slide-out it would go in without clutching. After several attempts to adjust it (to no avail) we re-organized the stuff under the bed. We found that by putting the heavy stuff at the foot of the bed and the lighter stuff towards the head of the bed the problem went away. We have not had the problem for over a year now.

Curt

2005 35MKO
Curtis Brown is offline   Reply With Quote