Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2019, 06:49 AM   #1
JDT

Slide Toppers

Since we are in a probable long term relationship with the Winslow I have been thinking about replacing the rubber roof with something more durable, like Flex Armor or something similar. Not ready to make any kind of decision as our roof is still in pretty good shape but is showing some age.

Anyway, I called to check on pricing (choke) and asked if the roof treatment included the slides. The answer was no. The slides are left as is. I was asked if we had the slide toppers. Of course, we don't. He said the toppers are great for protecting the slide roof and did not understand why many fifth wheels don't have them.

I do remember some discussion on this subject but couldn't come up with anything. I also remember Peterson would not install them but don't remember why. Maybe someone can remember the reason why it is not a good idea. I also recall a discussion some time back about someone insisting on having them installed. Don't know if that happened as I don't think we heard back.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Since we are in a probable long term relationship with the Winslow I have been thinking about replacing the rubber roof with something more durable, like Flex Armor or something similar. Not ready to make any kind of decision as our roof is still in pretty good shape but is showing some age.

Anyway, I called to check on pricing (choke) and asked if the roof treatment included the slides. The answer was no. The slides are left as is. I was asked if we had the slide toppers. Of course, we don't. He said the toppers are great for protecting the slide roof and did not understand why many fifth wheels don't have them.

I do remember some discussion on this subject but couldn't come up with anything. I also remember Peterson would not install them but don't remember why. Maybe someone can remember the reason why it is not a good idea. I also recall a discussion some time back about someone insisting on having them installed. Don't know if that happened as I don't think we heard back.
Jim,
Slide-out toppers are an individual taste. Some people like them, some don't. They protect the roof of the slide-out. Protect the squeegees and seals from an object on the slide-out roof from damaging the squeegee and the slide-out seals when retracting. They also can balloon in high wind and store water after a rainy day. They do have some high-end toppers that resist wind and pooling.

The reason PI didn't install them was because the slide-out toppers are considered dealer-installed options. I had our dealer install toppers on our rig after our first outing. We were parked under a tree that dropped small hard "seeds" that were a little bit bigger than a BB. The seeds just rolled under the slide-out squeegee and while traveling down the road, they rolled off the slide-out onto the kitchen floor and the living room couch. We still are finding seeds 7 years later. I can't figure where they are coming from.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:16 PM   #3
JDT

Carl, what brand did you have installed and how have they held up?
Old 06-12-2019, 10:41 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Carl, what brand did you have installed and how have they held up?
Jim,
Sorry I can't be of more help. They were installed 2012 and I can't remember the brand. Didn't receive any paperwork from the dealer. As for holding-up, we haven't traveled enough to make a qualified assessment.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:33 PM   #5

Jim,
We had slide toppers installed by the dealer on our Excel 31IKE. Here in the NE US where the leaves and tree debris are an issue I wouldn't be without them. Sweeping the slides before retraction would be a major pain, water on the roof is the other issue. I just left Natural Bridge SP and Kentucky Horse Park in the rain, without the toppers water would have made it inside when the slides retracted.

The narrow kitchen and bedroom slides stay tight. The wider dinette slide can get some deflection and pooling in heavy rain but it usually drains on it's own or when the slide is retracted. As long as I remember to keep the door closed when pulling the dinette slide in the water stays outside. We went with the Carefree Colorado Slide Kover III. With the integral covers these black slides match up well with the awning and black accents. They've held up well since installation in late 2014. If I have to pull them in while wet I get the slides out as soon as possible to dry out.

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/p...kover-III.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC1383.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	251483  
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:39 PM   #6
JDT

Thanks Brad. I debated back and forth about it. I did a lot of research and the all toppers I felt I could afford had good and bad reviews. I finally decided to buy by price and the best I could find was Solera from Camping World. They had them on sale online plus an extra 15% coupon. I went to their store in Tulsa and they matched the online price plus only charged me $20 shipping to get them to the store. The online shipping was $200. They also had the $59 per item installation going so I'm letting them do it. The difference between having them delivered to my house and me doing the install or letting them do it was 30 bucks.

This will be my first experience with having anything done at a Camping World. I've read a lot of bad things about them but surely they do some things right or they wouldn't be in business. The few times I have been in the store they were very busy. The installation is Tuesday. I will post something about how it went.

Tags
slide