Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2017, 09:23 AM   #1

Slideout stuck out emergency

Oh I really did it now. Rolled up rug got stuck in the main living room slide as it went out and popped the interior trim and board behind it over the roller. It got stuck bad. After taking the screws loose (the bottom 3" drywall screws actually broke off) I got the board free and reattached. All seems free now, but the slideout will not move at all. Pump runs but I hear some initial grinding then free running but zero response from the slide. I assume that I broke a gear or something in the mechanism. Any clues on where to start looking? I just got to Tennessee and will be here for a week, but I am stuck here with the slide out. Fifth wheel is a 2014 SDF and its the giant main living room hydraulic slide. Definitely embarrassed that I didn't check before this calamity occurred. Thanks in advance.
coloradoguid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2017, 09:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Most of these slides use a drive gear attached to the drive shaft with a shear pin through it. This protects the other more expensive and hard to replace parts. Suspect you just need to replace the shear pin.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Most of these slides use a drive gear attached to the drive shaft with a shear pin through it. This protects the other more expensive and hard to replace parts. Suspect you just need to replace the shear pin.
If it were shear bolt, one side would retract, but not the other. At least that's what happened when the shear pin broke on my 2013 Excel Winslow 34IKE kitchen slide.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoguid View Post
Oh I really did it now. Rolled up rug got stuck in the main living room slide as it went out and popped the interior trim and board behind it over the roller. It got stuck bad. After taking the screws loose (the bottom 3" drywall screws actually broke off) I got the board free and reattached. All seems free now, but the slideout will not move at all. Pump runs but I hear some initial grinding then free running but zero response from the slide. I assume that I broke a gear or something in the mechanism. Any clues on where to start looking? I just got to Tennessee and will be here for a week, but I am stuck here with the slide out. Fifth wheel is a 2014 SDF and its the giant main living room hydraulic slide. Definitely embarrassed that I didn't check before this calamity occurred. Thanks in advance.
Call Ralph Barnett (785-686-3080) at the Excel Service Center. Describe you problem and symptoms. He can probably guide you through what needs to be done to get your slide retracted.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:35 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Please post whatever solution works for you, since any of us face the same issue.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:48 AM   #6

I once did mine manually. If you go too where hydraulic pump is you should find a type of solenoid valve one for each slide out and you can put a drill on them and they retract or go out quite well. It does seem to me you have to open or close something in same area with pump and solenoids. On mine I marked the solenoids for each slide just not sure what you open or close before starting drill but if you look where I said you are real close. Good Luck!

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout