Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
"SMART HOME" Technology Survey

Peterson Industries is working to make EXCEL the first luxury 5th wheel to offer "Smart Home" technology. This would allow you to operate nearly anything in your coach from your smart phone or tablet (iPad), all from the comfort of your recliner, or in some cases from remote locations.

So you're at dinner at a restaurant and you think, "Oops, I forgot to put the awning in". You pull out your phone and problem solved.

Examples include: Awning, jacks, slide rooms, lights (dim-able), water heater, temp thermostat, audio/visual, exhaust fans, fireplace, power window shades, etc.

We would like to know if you would be inclined to embrace this new technology if it were available to you as an option.

Please click here to take our survey and let us know how you feel
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Interesting, having seen this technology in very high end Motor
Coaches watching some of the RVing programs. It would put PI out front in the Fifth wheel world.

Heck I don't even have a Smartphone yet, but I hear Santa is going to be nice to me this year.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #3

Great idea...I added my thoughts to the survey.

Paul
Old 12-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #4

I'm like a hermit and am behind the times. If it would be reliable and had an easy learning curve, I could go for it.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
Interesting, having seen this technology in very high end Motor
Coaches watching some of the RVing programs. It would put PI out front in the Fifth wheel world.

Heck I don't even have a Smartphone yet, but I hear Santa is going to be nice to me this year.
Yeah still, that Smartphone would set up real nice in the top pocket of your bibs. Heck it might even fit in there with your pocket protector! That'd really impress your gang at the coffee shop in the AM!!! Be the first on your block! You KS farmboy!!!! Ha. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:39 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
While it might be useful in a pinch, I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

First of all, a lot of these so called conveniences are really just pointless. Do you really want/need to mess with your fridge or generator with your phone? While some things might be useful like retracting your awning, many seem to border on the stupid.

Secondly, how much more complexity do you want to introduce to your coach? The more complex you make things, the more things there are to break down.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #7

From my point of view, it would not be worth the cost. First, I can not envision the need to use it arising very often. Second, in the remote places where I prefer to camp, there is rarely cell phone service available.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Yeah still, that Smartphone would set up real nice in the top pocket of your bibs. Heck it might even fit in there with your pocket protector! That'd really impress your gang at the coffee shop in the AM!!! Be the first on your block! You KS farmboy!!!! Ha. rockin'
Santa had a early delivery today. Something about he thought it would hard to find us with all the smoke coming in from the west coast. Now how operate the phone.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
Santa had a early delivery today. Something about he thought it would hard to find us with all the smoke coming in from the west coast. Now how operate the phone.
still, the good ol' boy from St. Olaf, KS has just got a new eeeelectronic gismo and now we won't from him til 'bout March. Bet there are some folks out there wished I'd get one too!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Neat, gee whiz gismo! Look at the coaches with the special circuit boards and the MFG has gone out of business. How much trouble is it to be diligent in the operation of a MH system. don't have a smart phone, don't even want one. Think if you can operate systems in your MH with a smart phone who can operate your MH with out YOU. Make it easy to steal, stuff inside or STEAL the MH. KISS, Keep it simple sir.
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Sign me up! I'll come down this summer for the install and be the Beta tester. We have 4 Smart phones in the family now and 4 tablets and probably 8 computers. I'm all about new technology! All Android or windows based products no "i" products in my house.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #12

Its the way of the future so I say it would be great.
Of course I have sob and have to park in the back still I think it would be great to incorporate the same conveniences alot of S&B homes have.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #13

Well I was going to say too much & then I looked around & we have-1 smart phone, 2 laptops, 1 IPad, 1 mini pad and a Kindle. Its just like having a basement or attic, the stuff creeps up on you.