Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Today was the last day of our second year as Southwest snowbirds. As we crossed into western PA on I-70 my wife, who was following behind in the car, called me on the radio and said something just came out of the side of the trailer. I looked out my passanger side mirror and saw my sliding tray with my 3 drawer tool box hanging out the side of the trailer looking like it was trying to pass on the right. Holy S---!!! I eased off to the berm and went to see what had happened. The tray was fully extended with the tool box that weights about 65 Lbs. still riding were it should. Our coach has the 2 piece compartment doors. They were open and still in the latached position and the one latch that locks was still locked. I'm pretty anal about making sure all is secure before we hit the road so I'm fairly certain that the tray was latched when we left the CG about 50 miles earler. The road wasn't particularly bumpy and I was going around 58 mph. How the tray got the door open while locked and latched is hard to figure. There is no damage to anything and even a towel that was next to the box didn't blow out. I put everything back as it should be and we continued home. I think I'll drill a hole through the tray and mounting frame for the tray and insert a bolt when we are moving.

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Today was the last day of our second year as Southwest snowbirds. As we crossed into western PA on I-70 my wife, who was following behind in the car, called me on the radio and said something just came out of the side of the trailer. I looked out my passanger side mirror and saw my sliding tray with my 3 drawer tool box hanging out the side of the trailer looking like it was trying to pass on the right. Holy S---!!! I eased off to the berm and went to see what had happened. The tray was fully extended with the tool box that weights about 65 Lbs. still riding were it should. Our coach has the 2 piece compartment doors. They were open and still in the latached position and the one latch that locks was still locked. I'm pretty anal about making sure all is secure before we hit the road so I'm fairly certain that the tray was latched when we left the CG about 50 miles earler. The road wasn't particularly bumpy and I was going around 58 mph. How the tray got the door open while locked and latched is hard to figure. There is no damage to anything and even a towel that was next to the box didn't blow out. I put everything back as it should be and we continued home. I think I'll drill a hole through the tray and mounting frame for the tray and insert a bolt when we are moving.

04 Excel 33RSE
Old 04-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
There was defintely a 'guardian angel' riding with you! Good job getting the rig off the roadway and stopped with no damage. I would have had to change my shorts!
Old 04-19-2008, 08:06 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChiefJohn:
I would have had to change my shorts! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dare we ask how often you change them normally?
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:24 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Good one Bruce!
Old 04-19-2008, 12:50 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by clspds:
I think I'll drill a hole through the tray and mounting frame for the tray and insert a bolt when we are moving. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Holy Moly, cloud....what a story. I'm gonna ask a dumb question since it wasn't mentioned. Did you have your rubber retaining strap that holds you tray in place connected? Glad Ms. Cheryl is watching out for ya back there in the Cobalt!

Glad it turned out all right. Be safe...you old fool!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Tom,
I have asked myself that question a couple of times. I'm usually pretty good about checking and double checking things like that. I think the retaining strap was connected but I can't see how it could possibly come loose. So, I quess I missed it. I'm glad that PI uses the thicker compartment doors. I think if I had the thinner ones I would probably be buying new doors. I will be drilling a hole through the tray and frame and using a bolt as a safety.

Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
Old 04-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Cloud,

At your age, if you can't remember to connect the retaining strap....how are you gonna remember to put in the bolt!

Just having fun! We ALL do dumb things, buddy. You just need to check and double check.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 04-20-2008, 07:29 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I just installed the safety bolt in the tray. I took a closer look at the rubber retainer and hook that it fits into. (This time I had my glasses on.) The hook is bent inward slightly so I guess that I did have it hooked. (I guess I'm not as old as you think Tom.) Does anybody know how much weight these trays are made to hold?
Tom, Once I take the bolt out I'll leave it lay in plan view. That will remind me to hook the tray and install the bolt.
Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
Old 04-20-2008, 11:13 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by clspds:
I just installed the safety bolt in the tray. I took a closer look at the rubber retainer and hook that it fits into. (This time I had my glasses on.) The hook is bent inward slightly so I guess that I did have it hooked. (I guess I'm not as old as you think Tom.) Does anybody know how much weight these trays are made to hold?
Tom, Once I take the bolt out I'll leave it lay in plan view. That will remind me to hook the tray and install the bolt.
Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul,

I am frequently bending that metal retainer back to it's original position, cause me or someone else tries to pull the tray out when the strap is still attached. Sometimes you just get in a hurry and it bends fairly easily. One of these days the retainer will just fatigue and break off!

Don't know how much the slide tray will hold, but can tell you mine is pretty heavy. BBQ and stand, air compressor, several totes, Roto Chocks, and floor mats.

Rockin' will have to do an "inspection" on your bolt installation procedure when we see you at Hatteras in a few weeks....are you up to another one of those? I can be bribed for a "good" report, you know!
Old 04-20-2008, 03:33 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
I have been back and forth on the trays. When we got this rig I wanted them but other people said it uses up space and you can't pack it as well. Any thoughts?

I had the old plastic trays in my other rig and it did take up quite a bit of space. Now I just store stuff in totes and have been able to stack them in the basement.

I wanted three things on this rig until I talked with people about the likes and dislikes.
1. Sliding tray, very happy without it
2. Electric rear jacks, I had them on my other rig and did have some times that I had to dig below them to extend them and a couple of times the rod slipped and jammed the jack. If it breaks, they are $.
3. Front Bra, heard it is a pain in the cold. I just went with the Enkay Mudflaps
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:56 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Larry,

I personally like the sliding tray option. Many folks do not. Folks are right, they do take up alot of room. However, I like it because I can slide my BBQ and cart out to set up real easy without trying to lift it out of the bay. Also I have my 120V air compressor in the middle of the slide in a tote. When I need it just slide it out and plug the thing in right there on the outside of the rig. The hose and accessories for the compressor stay inside the tote. No lifting in and out. I use about 75ft of that curly Q air hose and it works good.

Also if for some reason you need the slide assy. out, it comes out with about 12 screws.
5 minute job (Virg may take longer YMMV! )

For me, the good outweigh the bad. Anyone else got some thoughts on this subject?

The bra....that's another story. I'm gonna burn mine! I have a real good smiley for this one....but I'm trying to be a little more respectful of the very few folks that might be offended!
Old 04-20-2008, 04:39 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to redwing1
We had the same problem with the '04 MKO, rubber strap lock bent backward on the first trip to the mountains, I cut a piece of 2"x4" to wedge between the sliding tray and wall, use the same system in the '07 with no problems.
redwing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:25 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Paul, remind me not to follow to closely behind you in the future. Not like you to not double check everything - must have gotten to much sun.

Regards, see you at Hatteras.

Bill Cramer
Travelor is offline   Reply With Quote