Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
I had an unexpected experience while bringing in the slides on our 2008 35FLR yesterday. The sequence of events:
<LI>The first slide to be retracted was the bedroom. About halfway in it stuck. There was a minor change in the hydraullic pump noise.
<LI>I checked for obstructions inside and out. No problems with drawers or folded seals, including the top.
<LI>I attempted to extend that slide and it went out fine. However, it stuck in the extended osition.
<LI>A check of the hydraulic oil level/reserveroir showed it to be normal - where its been since I took delivery of the unit 6/07. Oil was high enough to drip off the fill cover when I removed it. (By the way, what oil/fluid should I use to top off the reservoir?)
<LI>I cycled the sofa and dinette slides and they both worked fine.
<LI>I tried the bedroom slide one more time and it retracted with no unusual occurences.
<LI>Everything worked fine when we set up at a new location later the same day.

What happened?

As a point of information I routinely extend the slides dinette first, sofa second, and bedroom last. Retraction is in reverse order: bedroom, sofa, and dinette.
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I had an unexpected experience while bringing in the slides on our 2008 35FLR yesterday. The sequence of events:
<LI>The first slide to be retracted was the bedroom. About halfway in it stuck. There was a minor change in the hydraullic pump noise.
<LI>I checked for obstructions inside and out. No problems with drawers or folded seals, including the top.
<LI>I attempted to extend that slide and it went out fine. However, it stuck in the extended osition.
<LI>A check of the hydraulic oil level/reserveroir showed it to be normal - where its been since I took delivery of the unit 6/07. Oil was high enough to drip off the fill cover when I removed it. (By the way, what oil/fluid should I use to top off the reservoir?)
<LI>I cycled the sofa and dinette slides and they both worked fine.
<LI>I tried the bedroom slide one more time and it retracted with no unusual occurences.
<LI>Everything worked fine when we set up at a new location later the same day.

What happened?

As a point of information I routinely extend the slides dinette first, sofa second, and bedroom last. Retraction is in reverse order: bedroom, sofa, and dinette.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:06 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Jim,

I consulted with Curtis (Our production manager) and we think it sounds like you might have had air in your lines. Cycling all of your rooms & hooking up to your tow vehicle might have relieved that condition.

Thanks,
Bryan
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:17 AM   #4

Sorry Jim but I have no idea how the hydraulic system works. Having a 2001 and the motor system, think at times I have it figured out on those good days. Would be interesting to know more information about it.

The only guess I would have is a valve for that slide not operating correctly or a pressure within the line or pump. Would think that cycling the pump through the other slides 'reset' the situation. But those are only guesses.

Chris
Old 11-14-2008, 06:07 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Bryan,

Thanks for the follow up. Along the line of air in the lines, our altitude has reduced from approximately 7,500 ft. to 1,100 ft. over the course of the last two weeks - with several interim ups & downs. Although it would seem that the current lower altitude, and attendant higher atmospheric pressure, would tend to favor air entrapment in the hydraulic fluid, I wonder if there might be any connection here. ???

Thsnks again.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:27 AM   #6

We had a similar issue with our WC, we would bring in the bedroom slide, then when the other slides would be brought in, the bedroom slide would extend several inches. In talking to the manager at the park we were in, he said to work from the back of the trailer to the front with the slides and the levellers. Since following his advice, we haven't had that happen again.

2008 Excel Wild Cargo
Don Zink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Don,

Thanks for the suggestion.

What's a "WC"? Water Closet?

I'm still learning the acronyms.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:18 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Wild Cargo
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryGodby:
Wild Cargo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or "Wild Child" if you're into what's happen'!

Jim,
[
Hopefully your slide situation was just an anomaly. An anomaly is something that just "happens" with no logical reason. In the electronics fields it's referred to a "logic lockup" and on the street it's [moderator edit]
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Or "Wild Child" if you're into what's happen'! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jac Haudenschild is the Wild Child
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:51 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryGodby:
Jac Haudenschild is the Wild Child </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Larry-that's not what my Mom said!!

mannnn...we are sooooo off topic!!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:52 AM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">mannnn...we are sooooo off topic!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must be new here.

That's what they like to do here, and that's OK.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:50 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">mannnn...we are sooooo off topic!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must be new here.

That's what they like to do here, and that's OK. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At least my question received a couple of solid responses before the fun ( ) started. That's dandy with me. I'm so easy.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:02 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Jim, I think the only way you could get air in you're system would be if the oil reservoir is low when you have all the cylinders(slide outs) fully extended. This system is using a double action cylinder. And I think on this system the slide outs are sharing the same return line with a solenoid activating the cylinder you want to activate. My thoughts are that the solenoid for the bedroom slide was acting up. I don't think that numerical order has to be done on this system, each cylinder should work when ever you want to. The oil that is used is Dextron 3 automatic transmission fluid. Also I have not studied this enough to know if there is a filter on this system. Book2
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote