Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #1

Sunbeam fixture replacement

After one of the many Sun Ray fluorescent lights inside my 2007 Excel quit I started looking on this site and others for an alternative. A few days later Rockin' Tom gave me the bad news that Sunbeam Products had flat lined so i started messin' out in the garage.

Picked up a similar fluro fixture at CW with a smaller footprint and gutted it. Swapped the guts into my Sunbeam and alas.... no light.

Tried several auto parts store LEDs with poor results. Not bright enough.

Last week I found some LED strips that work just fine. Two strips is about equal to the Sunbeam fluro two-tube. Three are brighter yet. If you are a handy guy or gal, you should be able to muddle through it.

If not, I might be persuaded to doing it for you.

Gonfer'
Attached Images

gonfercoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
OK gonfer, we give.....I'm a little confused did you use the original light housing that came with your rig? And you could be a little more descriptive with the details of what part, part numbers, and where you got the pieces. Don't make me beg!!! Watch out, or I'll sic Sarge on you.....and that my friend you would REGRET!!! Now drop and give me 20!!! rockybaby
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #3

Details

Easy Tommer, maybe I got 20 in me, but the last 5 would be hell!!

Here's the dope:

I gutted the original fixture, so the original mounting slot and screw holes could be used. I wanted to preserve the "finished" look of the ceiling. Gutting wasn't too hard, but drilling out all the rivets without marring the fixture and the plastic end caps needs to be done carefully.

The light strip came from Superbrightleds.com

Part #RLBN-x30SMD

Cut the strips to fit at the first "parting line" closest to the end of the tin reflector with tin snips.

I wired the two lights in using two mini connector plugs so i could reposition them if necessary. Used the original switch. Secured the LEDs with two sided tape for the same reason. Riveting the end caps back on was fun.

Once installed in the ceiling, the Old Lady was amazed just how potent a light source the strips are..... I was drinking beer and cleaning up.

I'll remove and flip the reflector one of these days and see if it makes the fixture brighter.

I'm thinking about converting a few and putting a price on it?

Have fun!
Gonfer'
Old 12-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Gonfer,

Looks like they cost about $10 a strip (2 per fixture. Here's a link to their website. Did you use cool white, natural white or white warm strips for yours? Thanks, rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 12-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #5

LED color

I liked the Natural White LEDs.

The fluero "yellow cast" is a little gloomy on a winter day with the shades drawn, so I thought that since converting to LEDs gave me a choice, I'd go au naturel.... hey, I did say the curtains were drawn!

Gonfer'
Old 12-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonfercoffee View Post
I'd go au naturel.... hey, I did say the curtains were drawn!

Gonfer'
Gonfer,

You be dreamin' again!!!

Tags
replace, replacement