Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2015, 04:47 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Suspension Bushings

In preparing my Excel for our 2015 trip to Alaska I plan to inspect my suspension components and anticipate finding some wear of the brass spring and shackle bushings and wet bolts as I don't know the frequency of maintenance the previous owner did. Having said that, has anyone heard of or actually used Lippert "Never Fail Bushings"? They claim no maintenance for a lifetime. I'm having a hard time with plastic bushings lasting a lifetime, so if anyone can shed some light on the subject I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 05:19 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Don,

I've never used the never lube bushings, but wonder why you'd want to move away from the standard wet bolt system? rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:51 PM   #3

I feel the wet-bolts are the best way to go as long as you keep them lubed. If you don't want to bother with lubing then the never-lubes would be the next choice.
Rob17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I installed Never Fail Bushings on my Excel over a year ago after the front springs broke and also installed the Center Point Air Ride suspension. I still have wet bolts but do not grease. No clue how they are doing after 14K miles.

I also have a Whisper disk made of the same polymer. If the bushings wear like the Whisper disk, they will last a long time.

I don't miss crawling under the trailer with a grease gun.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:52 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
I still have wet bolts but do not grease. No clue how they are doing after 14K miles
Doc, how in the world do you not know how the bushings are doing? Don't you check your rig out from time to time? I check and lube my suspension and under carriage before any major move. There's always something going on under there. Maybe you're one of the lucky ones. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 01-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Doc, how in the world do you not know how the bushings are doing?...I check and lube my suspension and under carriage before any major move....
I'd need to pull the shackle bolts to check the Never Fail Bushings.

I "move" more often than you.

What are you up to? Four times a year?

That's a slow week for me.....

I changed locations 76 times last year.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 01-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #7

I have to agree with Russel. You want to see something mechanical fail, then let it sit a long time before it's used again.
Rob17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:32 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
We traveled about 6,500 miles this summer (4 months)......I'd say that's a bit. Did 4 lubes and undercarriage inspections in that period. rockin'
Old 01-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Keep telling yourself that.....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 01-22-2015, 05:45 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Now Now boys.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
I've never used the never lube bushings, but wonder why you'd want to move away from the standard wet bolt system? rockin'
The standard wet bolt system seems archaic. Auto manufacturers moved away from them a long time ago and just because RV manufacturers are using them doesn't automatically mean they are state-of-the-art. I don't have to crawl under my truck with a grease gun so why would I want to crawl under my RV? So I'm thinking I'll move up to the 21st century and ditch wet bolts, grease gun and creeper. However, with all your experience I'm open to hearing why I would not want to make this move.

Thanks,
Old 01-22-2015, 10:19 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8ite View Post
The standard wet bolt system seems archaic. Auto manufacturers moved away from them a long time ago and just because RV manufacturers are using them doesn't automatically mean they are state-of-the-art. I don't have to crawl under my truck with a grease gun so why would I want to crawl under my RV? So I'm thinking I'll move up to the 21st century and ditch wet bolts, grease gun and creeper. However, with all your experience I'm open to hearing why I would not want to make this move.

Thanks,
Don,
I'm not opposed to using the non lube bushings. Never said that. I'm not installing in mine as I've owned 3 Excels in the last 10 years and never had a problem with the old fashion kind. Why replace good bushings? If mine failed and the new ones had a good track record, I use them as replacement for sure. My comment was more the fact that you still have to get under and inspect your undercarriage anyway, what's the big deal about lubing? I guess I don't mind lubing mine as I have to get underneath to do visual inspection of pad wear, shocks, springs, gas hoses, spare tire mounting and air pressure, general leaks, etc, etc. so why not take 10 more minutes and lube. Peace of mind. Dexter says lube every 3K. I do it more often but you know me, a bit anal! Grease is cheap.

My truck has 13 grease zerks in the front end which I service at the same time I change the oil and filter. Yes, real little girlie trucks still have zerks!!! Old fashion I guess. You still have to get under your truck to change the oil and filter don't you?

Hope that helps you understand this weird little ol' man! rockin'
Old 01-22-2015, 10:33 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Don,
I'm not opposed to using the non lube bushings. Never said that. I'm not installing in mine as I've owned 3 Excels in the last 10 years and never had a problem with the old fashion kind. Why replace good bushings?...
But, how do you know your bushings are good?

When I pulled mine after 12 months of service and regular application of grease in the wet bolts, they were pretty well worn.

Unless you pull the bolts and springs you'll never know until catastrophic failure of a suspension bolt.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 01-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #14

Rockin-the Boss follows same procedure, greases zerts on truck & coach at truck oil change. So far so good at 150,000 on RV and 200,000 on truck.

Tags
suspension