Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #1

Tank replaced- just a warning to others.

We have now lived full time in our rv since last Oct. and are loving it.
Just had black tank replaced at Smith Center. Seems a full black tank caused strap to pop loose and tank to crack at inlet. Caution to others- do not believe tank reading, and follow the instructions of not running sprayer with tank closed.
A good job done at factory and got a nice factory tour by Ralph. Got to see the unit with the slide out entry that will be featured at Hershey show, quite impressive.
And the customer lounge has to be the best.
ray/wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #2

Not sure if anyone believes monitors anymore. How long did you let the flush run while valve closed? I run them for a minute max.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray/wendy View Post
We have now lived full time in our rv since last Oct. and are loving it.
Just had black tank replaced at Smith Center. Seems a full black tank caused strap to pop loose and tank to crack at inlet. Caution to others- do not believe tank reading, and follow the instructions of not running sprayer with tank closed.
A good job done at factory and got a nice factory tour by Ralph. Got to see the unit with the slide out entry that will be featured at Hershey show, quite impressive.
And the customer lounge has to be the best.
Thanks ray/wendy for the heads up and good reminder. We've been talking about holding tank issues for many years on this forum, so much that I've been asked to let it die. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Not sure if anyone believes monitors anymore. How long did you let the flush run while valve closed? I run them for a minute max.
I don't believe my tank monitors, they read all "over the map", (day to day, month to month).

If/when I want to really fill/clean/rinse my black I have a helper monitor the level by watching down the toilet with a flashlight while I use the built in tank flush.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
What happened when you left the black tank sprayer on with the gate valve closed?

Did it overfill and come back into the trailer?

The straps "should" be strong enough to support a full black tank. There has been some discussion about this problem.

We sometimes camp without hookups. The black tank is often full before we can find a dump station.

I added additional black and grey tank support reinforcement to be sure.

I have SeeLevel tank sensors and the appear to be quite accurate.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
What happened when you left the black tank sprayer on with the gate valve closed?

Did it overfill and come back into the trailer?

The straps "should" be strong enough to support a full black tank. There has been some discussion about this problem.

We sometimes camp without hookups. The black tank is often full before we can find a dump station.

I added additional black and grey tank support reinforcement to be sure.

I have SeeLevel tank sensors and the appear to be quite accurate.
Doc,

Having the correct strapping insures proper support when running down the road with stuff in the tanks (up to point).

Even if you have proper strapping leaving your sewer flush on and overfilling your tank is a almost guaranteed busted/split ABS tank due to pressure. Promise. When the tank is full, the water has no where to go but up the vent and on the roof and down the sides. Most of the time with decent water pressure the vent is just not enough to relieve the pressure. If you don't believe me ask anyone that has done it!!! On older models with flapper valves in the toilet it used to come up there first, but not on modern RV toilet as they are sealed. Ugly mess for sure. rockin'

No one I know advises closing the black valve when flushing.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 08-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
I might know somebody who filled the black tank until it was blowing crap out the vent. The biggest issue was the wife discovered it when she was putting things away in the basement and it started raining. The tank was fine. Nothing spilled on the inside. They haven't been back to that campground. I understand why they thought it was a good idea, since the general rule of thumb is it's better to dump a full tank than a partially full tank, but I think the rule about not flushing the black tank when it's closed is a better idea.
- John
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
OK John....I was trying to be very general in my analysis. I think you could take tank age, number of times the tank had been in a stressed situation, water pressure and flow rate of the water bib, etc.etc., but I think more chances than not....your gonna split out the seam of the black tank if it fills and the flusher is still on. Ask any RV tech or associated personnel that's been around. I have friends that will share with you just how expensive that little repair is!!!!
rockin'
Old 08-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Tom,

Ray/Wendy reported in their post the strap failed causing the inlet to break. Not that their tank ruptured from using the flush with the tank gate closed.

The straps should support a full holding tank.

I agree, if you use the flush with the gate closed you must monitor the tank. If not, you risk the consequences.

I routinely use the flush with the gate valve closed, and have for many years. It is the best way to keep the tank and sensors clean. I recently installed an additional SeeLevel display in the utility center to help monitor the tanks.

The jets for the flush are in the side of the tank. You can hear them spray while in use. If the fluid level in the tank gets higher than the jets, the sound disappears. When that happens, open the gate valve or risk overfill.

I understand if you don't condone my method. But, I have not have a problem in 12 years using this technique. I never leave my post unattended.

I suspect the ones that did have a rupture or roof gieser were not paying close attention to the job.

Just my 2 cents....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 08-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Tom,

Ray/Wendy reported in their post the strap failed causing the inlet to break. Not that their tank ruptured from using the flush with the tank gate closed.

The straps should support a full holding tank.

I agree, if you use the flush with the gate closed you must monitor the tank. If not, you risk the consequences.

I routinely use the flush with the gate valve closed, and have for many years. It is the best way to keep the tank and sensors clean. I recently installed an additional SeeLevel display in the utility center to help monitor the tanks.

The jets for the flush are in the side of the tank. You can hear them spray while in use. If the fluid level in the tank gets higher than the jets, the sound disappears. When that happens, open the gate valve or risk overfill.

I understand if you don't condone my method. But, I have not have a problem in 12 years using this technique. I never leave my post unattended.

I suspect the ones that did have a rupture or roof gieser were not paying close attention to the job.

Just my 2 cents....
Doc, I agree with all that, except maybe the fact that all 3 Excel flushers on ours can be heard on the inside of the coach no matter what the water level.

The problem is when the tank gets overfilled due to operator error. I fill (about 90%) three time on every dump. I've never had a problem either, but did get distracted once when a wino walked by with a bottle of Ripple!!! That was a close call!

We gotta be careful......cause one of my friends who has a very old Excel has one of those "Y" set up that connects the shore water to the flusher and city water inlet. I said, you should be real careful cause some kids or the like could walk by and turn on the flusher.....and that would be disastrous! He said he'd had it like that for over 10 years and never had a problem. Well, about a month later.......guess what? His wife inadvertently turn it on somehow, by accident. Kaboom!!! So off to SC, KS for repairs. The rig was old enough they had to refab much of the tank mounting setup to accommodate the newer tanks. $$$$$ He said I jinxed him!!! rockin'
Old 08-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Doc, I agree with all that, except maybe the fact that all 3 Excel flushers on ours can be heard on the inside of the coach no matter what the water level.

The problem is when the tank gets overfilled due to operator error. I fill (about 90%) three time on every dump. I've never had a problem either...
Tom,

If I'm sitting outside by the flush connections, I can definitely hear when the jets become submerged. Maybe it is different on Excel Limiteds.

My new additional SeeLevel display is very handy for flushing the tanks.

How do you achieve 90% tank fill without running the flush with the gate valve closed? Do you stand in the John with and depress the toilet flush and watch the gauge? If so, you are much more patient than I...

All the failures you have described appear to be operator errors.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 08-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Tom,

If I'm sitting outside by the flush connections, I can definitely hear when the jets become submerged. Maybe it is different on Excel Limiteds.

My new additional SeeLevel display is very handy for flushing the tanks.

How do you achieve 90% tank fill without running the flush with the gate valve closed? Do you stand in the John with and depress the toilet flush and watch the gauge? If so, you are much more patient than I...

All the failures you have described appear to be operator errors.
I fill my black the exact same way you do......closed gate and stand at attention!!! rockin'
Old 08-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
....No one I know advises closing the black valve when flushing.
Quote:
I fill my black the exact same way you do......closed gate and stand at attention!!! rockin'
Tom, are you referring to yourself as "no one"?

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 08-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Tom, are you referring to yourself as "no one"?
You gotta read the whole post Doc, I meant to say no manufacturer recommends leaving the black gate closed when filling the black with the flusher. We both do the same thing here! rockin'

PS.....you're just eggin' me on to get me to that 6000th post!!!

Tags
replace, tank