Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Thank you, Captain Obvious

I'm sure a lot of you have figured this stuff out, but it took me awhile so I thought I would write down some of my more recent discoveries.
Those blue in-line water filters that you probably have attached to your fresh water hose come with the initial screen in backwards. It's the wire screen on the input side of the filter that dimples in. If you reverse it, so that it dimples out, the hose will seal better with the filter without torquing the connection within an inch of its life.
Speaking of the fresh water hose, I had three 25 foot drinking water rated hoses that I hauled around. The problem was, I rarely used more than one. It finally failed, but I inspected the backups and they both had mold in them (I store them with the ends connected to keep insects out of the hose). So I went to Costco and got a single 50 foot fresh water hose (Costco calls it an Eco friendly hose) and moved my old fresh water hoses to my non-drinking water stash. This way, I'll have to use the new hose every time which should keep it fresh. A bonus: the new hose has a female connector that I can get my entire hand on. Since we move fairly often, this should help hooking up and tearing down.
Speaking of Costco, we just joined last week. We've already saved enough to cover the cost of the membership (mostly due to both of us getting eye exams there). We put off joining despite many of you recommending it because we thought we didn't have enough room to store large quantities of any one item. Turned out not to be a problem. Now I wished we had joined earlier. This is also a store we can feel good about supporting, as well as being just a good idea financially:*Costco's Profit Soars To $537 Million Just Days After CEO Endorses Minimum Wage Increase
- John
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #2

I too like Costco, we have been members since it was PriceClub. That said; sure they can afford to support a higher minimum wage, with 25 million plus current members paying a minimum of $25 per year membership, they start their day with over $525 million to support their operation without a single ring of the register.
Clean fresh water hoses are indeed important. However, if you seal the hose with moisture still in the hose you still have a area for algae and bacteria to thrive. I find a 25 foot hose easier to deal with at most campgrounds, although I carry a 50 ft roll up flat hose for those rare occasions when I need to stretch out to find water. I also purchased a washing-machine filter (mesh with a cartridge in a fist size plastic housing) to attach to the faucet end of the hose, this acts as a pre-filter to keep out grit from wells with poor water filtration. It also makes a large handle for easy attachment. Although Costco is great, they don't normally stock small size bottles, camping chemicals, and often they only stock top-of-the-line products. They may have a great price on a regularly $100 toaster, but I can meet my needs for $15 at some other outlet for a cheaper model.
JMHO
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too store a couple extra lengths of water hose and connect them just like you did. Think I'll run some bleach through them.

As for Costco....you'll get lots of exercise there trying to find stuff that was in the front of the store yesterday and today it's in the back of the store and tomorrow it will be who knows where.

Drives me crazy.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #4

We run bleach water thru water hoses at least every 4 months. Different sources, different temperatures strange things happen. We stop up one end and fill hose and let set for few minutes and then flush out.