Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2014, 05:44 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
The dreaded smell

I have always kept my mouse trap stocked with peanut butter and it has been effective at attracting the little darlings, so I am somewhat surprised at having "the smell". It seems to be coming from the furnace area, more strongly when it is on. I use a live trap that will hold a family so it's not a matter of him dragging the trap to a spot and dying. Has anyone had occasion to tear into the furnace on the Excel and if so how big a job is it to get it out? It's warming up on the Texas coast so I will take a closer look at the situation today.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Only time I tried to do the Two Step I stunk as well!
Old 11-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Had a mouse get in furnace, decapitate head in fan and all other parts laid on hot furnace tubes and naturally smelled fried mouse.
Had to remove vent return open panel into rear of furnace and proceed to remove body parts mostly bones now with long coat hanger hook made up, also hook head out of fan enclosure.
Cleaned it all up and furnace has been fine ever since.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Sorry to hear of your issue. Had a mouse die in my HVAC unit in my car one time....many moons ago. Nasty smell. Anyway, your Suburban furnace comes out without much effort at all. You won't get much assistance from the manufacturer of the furnace and dealers unless you're RV tech gas certified and I can understand due to liability. You have one gas pipe to disconnect, several wires that are on top of the furnace and some outlet distribution hoses connected to the rear of the furnace and some on the outer case of the furnace. Make sure you take a pic or two of the wiring as sometimes the wire colors don't match up. Also, the vent hoses may have small screws in the hoses where they meet the rear cover and plenum that hold the hoses on. Make sure you check your gas line connection on reinstallation. If you take your furnace all the way apart there may be one other gas line to that you have to disconnect and reconnect. HTH Let us know how it goes. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #5

I would just wait it out, will go away. Open the windows and use fantastic fan, and the ever popular frebreze.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by copilot View Post
I would just wait it out, will go away. Open the windows and use fantastic fan, and the ever popular frebreze.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 11-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #7

I think before I removed the furnace, I would inspect and check the areas of the Storage compartment and basement areas first.

If I'm assuming correctly, the furnace in an RV is much the same as in a house...it blows hot air out and sucks cooler air, the return, back in and starts the process over again until the TSTAT is satisfied.

On my prior Excel, the heater return was below the steps, it was also any part of the storage/basement area that it could draw air from as the return was not a closed system. With that being the case, it could bring the bad odor from anyplace within the area.

I haven't had this problem, but wonder if it managed to get within the furnace would the odor be strong near the first floor register or at the heater, if you have access to the back side without removing it? If you do have access as in the photo of the Atwood in my prior unit...check it for strong odor near the casing and if not there...try running the unit and smell to see if it's coming from another area.

Good luck, I've chased this in several houses I worked on and it's never fun.

workhorse
Old 11-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Ol' workhorse makes so much sense. We're so lucky to have him chime in here from time to time. I "assumed" Gary had for sure knew it was in the furnace. You make a good point. Anyhow, I remember a guy I used to call on had a skunk get into his old Colonial home and they had to do a hotel for a week or more until they got r dun!!! He said that skunk smell really permeates the furniture and all........what a mess. I thought stuff like that only happened to me!!!! Ha. rockin'

Tags
smell