Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Our thanks to Virgil & Jo for compiling this information for first-time visitors to Smith Center, Kansas. Please post any additional information you believe will be beneficial.
John

We spent a week in Smith Center and here are a few things I wish I had known in advance of arriving.
Before starting, I want to say that the new Service Center is very nice and it is clean. We were very comfortable here. Jack was on vacation during our week there. Ed and Donna took excellent care of us. Also, Curtis Peterson was over several times a day during the week and I was amazed at how "hands on" he is. You will have to form your own opinion but I came away knowing that he really cares about our comfort and safety. On Friday, another couple who had been in the lounge with us all week said..."we can't wait to buy another coach from these people" and that is the way I feel also. Wow, did they dazzle us with their coverage of our warranty issues and customer service.

One last thing, our primary mechanic was named Darren. Early Saturday morning, on his own time, Darren showed up to see that everything was OK as we left and to say goodbye. Where else will that happen?

1) Make sure that you have EVERYTHING on your "to do" list communicated and negotiated with the PI Service Center at least 2 weeks in advance. If you arrive with "new" issues, they will get to them on a time available basis, or maybe they might not have time.

2) I did not know that the Service Center was different than the factory. We arrived on Sunday afternoon and backed up to a factory bay door and unhooked. I learned by walking around that the Service Center is across the street and had to move over there.

3) The Service Center has 12 bay doors. One through six on the front and 7 through 12 on the back. Door 1 and 7 are opposite each other and both have water
#1 has 30amp, water and cable.
#2 has & shares the cable connection with 1 but has no power
#3 and #4 share one 50amp recepticle and cable
#5 has 50amp and cable
#6 has 30amp
One the back of the building
#7 has 30amp and water
#8 has 30amp and cable
#9 has 30 amp (you could steal cable from 10 if they don't use it)
#10 has 30amp, 50amp and cable
#11 has 30 amp (you could get 50amp and cable from 12 if not in use)
#12 has 30amp, 50amp and cable

Come here with empty holding tanks and a full fresh water tank, unless of course you are here in winter when it is -13. Pick out any bay door that has no Excel inside and back up to it and hook up.

4) You can enter the customer service room at night...if you want to know how, email or pm me. There is a secret and I don't want to give it out on the public forum. You can get to the bathroom and shower inside if needed during afterhours. The waiting room is very comfortable, coffee, cable TV, wifi, puzzles and soft comfortable chairs but after a couple days, one tends to get a bit bored. Bring your bicycles. If the weather is good, this is a great place to ride. Also, while they provide one computer for your use, bring your laptop.

5) On Monday morning, be up and ready to go at 6:00am...as soon as someone shows up, ask what the first order of business should be. I found Ed at 6:30, he introduced me to Darren, the mechanic and by 7:00am I had gone over my list of additions and repairs and they had my trailer backed into the bay ready to go to work.

6) There are two restaurants open on Sunday afternoon, Jiffy Burger and Paul's Cafe, Paul's is open until 9pm on Sunday night.
The breakfast place is Called the Second Cup and there is also a Pizza Hut which has a lunch buffet which is pretty good pizza and salad! We never made it to "Duffy's". I think Paul's had the best food overall.

7) The grocery store, Gene's Heartland is open in Sunday evening until 10pm

8) The nearest Wal*Mart is 62 miles away.

9) Be prepared to stay longer than you had originally intended...the mechanics may find things to repair that you didn't count on which could lengthen your stay.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Our thanks to Virgil & Jo for compiling this information for first-time visitors to Smith Center, Kansas. Please post any additional information you believe will be beneficial.
John

We spent a week in Smith Center and here are a few things I wish I had known in advance of arriving.
Before starting, I want to say that the new Service Center is very nice and it is clean. We were very comfortable here. Jack was on vacation during our week there. Ed and Donna took excellent care of us. Also, Curtis Peterson was over several times a day during the week and I was amazed at how "hands on" he is. You will have to form your own opinion but I came away knowing that he really cares about our comfort and safety. On Friday, another couple who had been in the lounge with us all week said..."we can't wait to buy another coach from these people" and that is the way I feel also. Wow, did they dazzle us with their coverage of our warranty issues and customer service.

One last thing, our primary mechanic was named Darren. Early Saturday morning, on his own time, Darren showed up to see that everything was OK as we left and to say goodbye. Where else will that happen?

1) Make sure that you have EVERYTHING on your "to do" list communicated and negotiated with the PI Service Center at least 2 weeks in advance. If you arrive with "new" issues, they will get to them on a time available basis, or maybe they might not have time.

2) I did not know that the Service Center was different than the factory. We arrived on Sunday afternoon and backed up to a factory bay door and unhooked. I learned by walking around that the Service Center is across the street and had to move over there.

3) The Service Center has 12 bay doors. One through six on the front and 7 through 12 on the back. Door 1 and 7 are opposite each other and both have water
#2 has & shares the cable connection with 1 but has no power
#5 has 50amp and cable
#6 has 30amp
#7 has 30amp and water
#8 has 30amp and cable
#10 has 30amp, 50amp and cable
#12 has 30amp, 50amp and cable

Come here with empty holding tanks and a full fresh water tank, unless of course you are here in winter when it is -13. Pick out any bay door that has no Excel inside and back up to it and hook up.

4) You can enter the customer service room at night...if you want to know how, email or pm me. There is a secret and I don't want to give it out on the public forum. You can get to the bathroom and shower inside if needed during afterhours. The waiting room is very comfortable, coffee, cable TV, wifi, puzzles and soft comfortable chairs but after a couple days, one tends to get a bit bored. Bring your bicycles. If the weather is good, this is a great place to ride. Also, while they provide one computer for your use, bring your laptop.

5) On Monday morning, be up and ready to go at 6:00am...as soon as someone shows up, ask what the first order of business should be. I found Ed at 6:30, he introduced me to Darren, the mechanic and by 7:00am I had gone over my list of additions and repairs and they had my trailer backed into the bay ready to go to work.

6) There are two restaurants open on Sunday afternoon, Jiffy Burger and Paul's Cafe, Paul's is open until 9pm on Sunday night.
The breakfast place is Called the Second Cup and there is also a Pizza Hut which has a lunch buffet which is pretty good pizza and salad! We never made it to "Duffy's". I think Paul's had the best food overall.

7) The grocery store, Gene's Heartland is open in Sunday evening until 10pm

8) The nearest Wal*Mart is 62 miles away.

9) Be prepared to stay longer than you had originally intended...the mechanics may find things to repair that you didn't count on which could lengthen your stay.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:53 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Make sure that you have EVERYTHING on your "to do" list communicated and negotiated with the PI Service Center at least 2 weeks in advance. If you arrive with "new" issues, they will get to them on a time available basis, or maybe they might not have time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Great tip Virgil ... you can imagine, given the length of time between scheduling an appointment and arriving (sometimes five months) that additional items do come up. Multiply this times every rig on the schedule and it makes sense that the SC has to do something to control the schedule.

Must say I didn't like the surprise though ... when I take the truck in for service I can usually add additional items without much push back ... but now I know better.

The service center is so good that it is being loved to death.
Bob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:53 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Look at item 3 and see how bored I am...
Old 09-25-2007, 07:38 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MakinSmoke:
Look at item 3 and see how bored I am... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not a lot to do in Smith Center, huh???

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:47 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Virgil,

At least this time of year you can watch the grass grow. I'll be there alone on 10 December and won't even have that. See...there is always a bright side.

Bob

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:01 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3) The Service Center has 12 bay doors. One through six on the front and 7 through 12 on the back. Door 1 and 7 are opposite each other and both have water
#2 has shares the cable connection with 1 but has no power
#5 has 50amp and cable
#6 has 30amp
#7 has 30amp and water
#8 has 30amp and cable
#10 has 30am0, 50amp and cable
#12 has 30amp, 50amp and cable </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh for goodness sakes, Virg! Get a life. Can't believe it's that boring Go for a walk and see the beautiful surroundings!
You know I'm just funnin' you! Some of the downtown old houses, etc. are REALLY nice, but how long does that take?

Now....back to my nightly glass of Vino, uuupppsss, wrong time of the day!

P.S. Anal...who's anal? No. 12 bay cable hook up is "snowy" unless they fixed it since we were there in June! All others were OK as far as I know!

Later,
Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
75v,
Smart thought about no fresh water in January. I'll make a correction to my suggestions.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
With some very good help we found the Pizza Hut buffet for lunch today. Will probably go there again! I added it to the list.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Virg, for the update on the Pizza Hut buffet tip. So what did they have on the buffet??!!!! Was it tasty? . Just funnin' with ya.

I'm really scared to ask you questions like that because of the 30/50 amp-cable hook up-water hook up deal. Are you trying to out anal-izing me?

Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Tom,
You've got good reason to be concerned about Virg, he's been infected with the same virus that got you. Poor man will never be the same and he hasn't met you yet??

Seriously, Virg did a great job of re-conning the SC Service Center for future visitors. Jack and his crew do an outstanding job in the face of greater customer demand and the lack of a qualified manpower resource.

Paul's is a great place -- they use no trans fats and their menu reflects many healthy heart choices!

My internet connection is sporadic at best here in the mountains (hills) of Alabama. We'll be here until the middle of next week for sure. Folks, keep your eyes on this park, Oak Mountain State Park, Pelham, AL. The host tells me that there is a multi-million dollar upgrade being done next year. Concrete pads, 50/30/20 amp, water, and sewer upgrades.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
For those going to Smith Center during the nice winter months, if you hunt bring your shotgun. Some of the pheasant hunting in the center of the United States.

See you in Wichita Virgil and Jo.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:01 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Tom,
This place will make anybody an__ uh, ummm, uh, detail oriented.

John,
We're waiting on the baby with you. Pls be sure to give us the details.

Larry,
A fellow and his wife drove up here yesterday pulling with a Dodge 3500. General visiting got us to where are you going next and he said Wichita to the HDT rally. Darned small world. See you Saturday (I hope).
Old 09-27-2007, 10:16 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Hi Virgil, been following your posts and adventures with the SC. rogram: Great list and reporting. :thiker: I was wondering :idea: if you would like me to recommend that PI hire you as the Effeciency EXPERT :hammer: for SC?
My CLO36 is starting to have trouble with the two rear kitchen slde outs. Talk to you later about what I have learned. Chief's recommendation of the Gorilla tape
really did the job for repair. :bhand: Maverik

05 Excel CLO36
maverik/gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland