Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #1

Time for Tires?

I see the last discussion on tires here was early '18. I'm going to add internal TPMS sensors to pair with a new truck so I'm considering replacement. Current tires on our Excel are original Goodyear Unisteel G114 in 215/75R 17.5 Load Rnge H. The date code is April 2014 we took delivery in Sep 2014 and the tires have 25050 miles on them, planning on 10000 miles plus in 2020. These look ok and do have plenty of tread but many recommend replacement at 5-6 years old so I'm considering it.

Older comments had Dr Fife running the Hankooks for about 2 years and Rockintom suggesting Sailuns. Walmart has Hankooks Load J at $200. I see Sailuns at around $224 and going with the same Goodyears at $303. Wondering what others thought about sticking with mine for a while or going new since I have to dismount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0574.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	268089   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0576.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	268090  

BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2019, 07:46 PM   #2
JDT

I've seen various opinions on how long to run tires. I err on the side of caution and think I would change them, especially with the kind of mileage you are predicting for next year. You might look at the Goodyear website to see what they say.

I changed mine in '18 because of abnormal wear, about 6 months before we had the MorRyde IS installed. Based on Russell's recommendation I went with the Hankook TH22 trailer tires. We now have about 15k on them, no signs of any abnormal wear or any other issue. I would buy them again. My original tires were Michelin, load range J. I don't think I would do J's again as I think they are a little harder riding than the H. I think the J's are overkill for our size fifth wheels. Based on the inflation chart all I need is 80 psi to more than carry my load but I have settled on 95. I started at 110 and thought it made them a bit rough riding.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #3

Jim,
Just another prospect for you to consider. When the time came to change our Michelins we consulted a local truck tire shop and they recommended these. I researched and debated for months before pulling the trigger at about $250 each mounted and balanced. That was over 3 years ago and no issues whatsoever.
Happy shopping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190612-190455.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	268143  
Old 11-28-2019, 11:51 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Brad, I think you'll be fine with either the Sailuns or Hanooks. Good price/value relation.
I wouldn't be too scared to run the Goodyears a bit longer though, maybe another season. I'm the guy that used to be the scaredy cat on length of time you run RV tires (that if you took good care of them). That was when you could only get the G rated Goodyears that lasted a good 3 years and blew on the hot highway on the 4 season out. In my opinion those were right on the cusp of being weight underacted. Then when they went to the Michelin J rated they were way overrated. I think you are good with the H rated tires.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:19 PM   #5

Tom,
I've always made sure we run at or very close to the recommended pressure of 110psi and never had an issue with the Goodyears. Since they look pretty good on wear and I only have 25k miles on them running them one more season might not be bad idea. The Hankooks do seem like the best value but the ones Walmart has listed at $200 are J rated probably overkill for the weight.

Brad
Old 12-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #6

KZ RV Club
Long time lurker but unfortunately not an Excel owner yet HM2CW re Wally World (& tire age) handling of commercial tires on my previous 5ver a 2 axle non Excel brand 38'th We bought from Camping World in Vegas in '12 ( never again) unit was '05 with GY 614 "G" rated date coded same as rig build '05 with nubs on sidewalls and no tread wear according to CW this rig was purchased at auction from bank repo and warehoused indoors which the outside appearance of rig matched. I questioned CW about age of tires and was told 10yrs was useful life. On our 1st major trip to Sierras with rig weight of 16k#s and ambient temps of 100+ climbing 9mile canyon which is 1-1/2 lane steep switch back rd to Kennedy Mdws I lost the drivers side front tire which sounded like 80mm mortar. I was lucky there was enough shoulder room to not impede traffic while changing to like spare, damage to rig was minimum so we continued on to our camp site without issue. Since I was without a serviceable spare I drove to Bakersfield CW about 3 hrs each way the next day where I was able to get same brand, size and LR tire mounted. On the return trip while driving under the 395/14 overpass the rear axle driver side let go with similar sound, luckily again there was an adequate shoulder room to R&R with newly purchased tire. Damage to rig was extensive see attached image, fortunately I was able to duct tape and safety wire repairs to get home. Repairs to slide and fuel station and siding was $2k that insurance covered. Went to Wally World and had 4 new GY614s mounted which I requested metal HP 110psi valve stems be used. On next 500 mile trip to Lake Tahoe while driving between 395 between Independence and Lone Pine @ 55mph my TPMS went off indicating sudden pressure loss luckily there was light traffic and a wide shoulder so I was able to get clear of traffic and stop without damaging the tire which hadn't completely deflated. Upon inspecting the tire found the valve stem was leaking at stem wheel interface. Replaced with spare in 100+ heat with help of G'kids took rig to WW in Gardnerville where I was informed they couldn't replace valve stem which they said was not rated for 110#s so went to a commercial truck tire shop and had all 5 valve stems replaced. FWIW have newer 40' triple axle 5ver TH with upgrded GY 614S "G" rated (see attached image) which have performed flawlessly for the last 2yrs but I monitor air pressures and inspect at each stop while traveling. YMMV Merry Christmas and safe travels to you all.Click image for larger version

Name:	20130624_131320.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	270205Click image for larger version

Name:	0420180851.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	270206
DucBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #7

Looks like our required annual PA state inspection has made the decision for me on new tires. I always schedule the inspection before our winter departure for Florida and the dealer says the Goodyears won't pass. Worn into the secondary rubber or tread was the cryptic explanation even though they don't look bad visually. Since I have to install GM TPMS Sensors anyway I'll go with the Hankooks that Dr Fife and others have recommended. Clearly the best value @ $200.79, the Goodyears are 294.97.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:10 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Way to go Brad. You are getting close on time for tires anyway.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 02-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #9
JDT

That's a good price for the Hankooks. We are getting ready to start our 3rd season with them and can't see any wear even though there has to be some. They are a very good tire. I'll buy them again.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:55 PM   #10

That price included free 2 day delivery too! I never really thought about it before but I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on the worth of balancing trailer tires. The RV dealer service dept doesn't even do it and most references say its unnecessary since passenger ride quality in the trailer isn't an issue. Some do suggest it can help with tire wear, suspension, heat and ride to go easier on the trailer.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:44 AM   #11
JDT

Brad, I have always had the tires balanced on both my fifth wheels and boat trailers. I honestly can't say it helps one way or the other but it makes me feel better. I think the only advantage would be eliminating one more source of unwanted movement. By that I mean the vibration caused by an unbalanced tire.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:48 AM   #12

I have always balanced my TT tires. I just think of all the shaking going on with 4 unbalanced tires rolling down the road. Have you ever ridden in a car with even just one tire unbalanced? An unbalanced will shake everything in the TT. What about all four pounding away out there?

Another item I have considered is just what the out of balance does to the tire itself. Could the extra "wear" of the heavy side coming down on the road every rotation contribute to flexing of the sidewall junction with the thread and be a cause of heat and possible separation and blowout? I think so.

It would be interesting to instrument a TT and see just how much vibration is caused by out of balance tires. Also to compare tire temps and/or tire failure balanced vs unbalanced would be interesting.

You wouldn't want to ride in your car with unbalanced tires andy more than you should expose your TT to the constant pounding of out of balance tires.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #13

Guys I received a set of the Hankooks but the tread pattern is different from the picture of the tires I ordered.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/828445677

The tires are up at the dealer already but the ones I received only had three grooves and the ones in the link I've included have four. I was supposed to be getting load range J and the dealer tells me the tires I supplied are load range H. Just wondering if you guys with the Hankook TH22 have an opinion on the difference I'm seeing. I'll get a picture of them tomorrow and post it to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:54 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Brad,
I only have a comment that the H rated tire should be satisfactory for your rig. And it probably has a higher speed rating than the J. Just sayin'. It's in my opinion, the G rated was underrated for our Excels (generally speaking) and the J's were overrated making the H's plenty good.

Tags
tires