Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Timely Reminder on Fire Extinguishers

Going over my CERT training material yesterday, I thought I would remind folks of fire extinguisher operation and maintenance. To me, turning it upside down and tapping the bottom once a month to keep the dry chemical from "caking" on the bottom is one of the most important things. Check out this video on the basics. Doesn't hurt to be reminded on important fire safety issues. I keep 2 FEs in the Charm and one in each vehicles (Tug and Chase). Our local FD in Hemet, had a FE check up (and other fire and emergency seminar) for our winter park. I was amazed of the FEs that many seniors brought that were more than 15 years old! Our park also does a free propane leak check of all rigs and park models once a year. rockin'

Video: Fire Extinguisher Safety Regulations | eHow.com
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You Da Man,,,MR.Rockin...I crown you My Deputy Fire Chief!
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
You Da Man,,,MR.Rockin...I crown you My Deputy Fire Chief!
Thanks Chief!!! We do alot of cuttin' up here, so every once in a while, we gotta take things a little serious!!!

BTW....do a deputy FC gets a car with flashin' lights and sirens on it???
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 05-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Going over my CERT training material yesterday, I thought I would remind folks of fire extinguisher operation and maintenance. To me, turning it upside down and tapping the bottom once a month to keep the dry chemical from "caking" on the bottom is one of the most important things. Check out this video on the basics. Doesn't hurt to be reminded on important fire safety issues. I keep 2 FEs in the Charm and one in each vehicles (Tug and Chase). Our local FD in Hemet, had a FE check up (and other fire and emergency seminar) for our winter park. I was amazed of the FEs that many seniors brought that were more than 15 years old! Our park also does a free propane leak check of all rigs and park models once a year. rockin'

Video: Fire Extinguisher Safety Regulations | eHow.com
Thanks i never new about tapping the bottom great information.
fsteve65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsteve65 View Post
Thanks i never new about tapping the bottom great information.
Oh, you bet. I just put this little task on my Windows Live Calendar to do once a month. Fresh smoke alarm/carbon monoxide deterter batts when the time changes (Spring/Fall). Propane detecter check about every 3 months.

No wonder I never have no time!!! I'm always checking something....anal retentive for sure!!!! rockin'
Old 05-26-2012, 04:42 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Chief!!! We do alot of cuttin' up here, so every once in a while, we gotta take things a little serious!!!

BTW....do a deputy FC gets a car with flashin' lights and sirens on it???
Chief02, now you went and did it!! Can you image ole Rockin with lights and siren on Tug stuck in a wash in the middle of the desert. He'd be runing hot and not going nowhere. Not a good choice of judgement for Rockin.

Still Rockin did share some good information. So he ain't all bad. We just have to look real deep to find it. We like you Rockin sometimes.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:46 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
On giving this a little more thought, Rockin would get more attention running lights & siren. That's what he wants and he may even make the "People Of WalMart" show.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for sharing this information. I guess I just take for granted that everything is OK with ours as I look down and say to myself " well it's there so all should be good". From now on I'll physically inspect them every time we head out somewhere. I guess it wouldn't hurt to read the instructions on the label as well. Again thanks for sharing.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Steve, you are very welcome!

still and 99, you guys crack me up....you made my day! I really enjoy starting my day with a good belly laugh!

99, I thought Joy sold her place? Are you in a new location that she has? Give her a hug......remember....she was my "first Excel girlfriend" at the 2009 Family Reunion. Man, did we have fun!!! Joy "rocked my world" at that event!!! rockin'
Old 05-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Hmmmmm Maybe I should start Rockin off as a junior fire marshal first with one of those lil plastic fire hats.....I'm sure i have one around here somewhere! Also, how many of you have a second fire extingusher in the bedroom? It may help you escape. I know i'm most likley not going out that lil bedroom window. LOL...And, do you know how much fire that lil FE will put out? The one that came with my rig is UL rated at 5-BC, meaning it should extinguish 5 sq feet of a flammable liquid or electrical fire. it's not even rated for wood, paper, plastic or rubber. What you really need is a 5 lb ABC rated extinguisher. That will give you some knockdown capability for 20 sq feet of class A (wood, paper, plastic, rubber) and 60 sq feet of class B and C (flammable liquids, Electrical) there are also a Class K extingushers for kitchen/grease fire.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Hmmmmm Maybe I should start Rockin off as a junior fire marshal first with one of those lil plastic fire hats.....I'm sure i have one around here somewhere! Also, how many of you have a second fire extingusher in the bedroom? It may help you escape. I know i'm most likley not going out that lil bedroom window. LOL...And, do you know how much fire that lil FE will put out? The one that came with my rig is UL rated at 5-BC, meaning it should extinguish 5 sq feet of a flammable liquid or electrical fire. it's not even rated for wood, paper, plastic or rubber. What you really need is a 5 lb ABC rated extinguisher. That will give you some knockdown capability for 20 sq feet of class A (wood, paper, plastic, rubber) and 60 sq feet of class B and C (flammable liquids, Electrical) there are also a Class K extingushers for kitchen/grease fire.

I knew the Mr. Fire know-it-all would come out sometime!!! Just kiddin'.....this is some good info. But where in the world would you have space to put a FE in the bedroom? Cases and cases of OP in the bedroom closet would prohibit that!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
I knew the Mr. Fire know-it-all would come out sometime!!! Just kiddin'.....this is some good info. But where in the world would you have space to put a FE in the bedroom? Cases and cases of OP in the bedroom closet would prohibit that!!!
Now you have a reason to empty one of those cases!!! Also the red lights belong on the car following you.
Hermandutchman is offline   Reply With Quote