Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2009, 03:24 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Getting ready to put new shoes on my 05, 35' MKO. Tires are LT235/85/R16 model G 614. The cheapest quote I got was $262 per tire with $15 for mounting and $12 or balancing.

Tires or approaching 5 years so need to be replaced. Should I go with the same tire or something heavier? Help!!!!!!

Bill Cramer
Travelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2009, 04:16 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Bill,
That is a decent price on the tires....5 years on that tire is a long time as you can ask some ot the folks here that had blow outs or tread seperation in the 4th year at higher ambients.
You don't have much choice of other tires to choose from...unless you want to go to a H rated 17" tires which is VERY expensive, cause you gotta change the wheels too. I will let you in on a little secret. I had a Goodyear rep tell me that GY changed the processing of this 614 tire sometime in Nov 06 to make it "more robust". Don't know of any premature failures after that. Make sure and check the tire DOT date code and accept none over 6-7 months old. Torque and retorque the lugs for at least a 1000 miles. I replaced ours at 3 years old for safety sake as we FT and our rig is our home! HTH and give Carole a hug for us!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:37 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Bill,

That sounds like a good price. I replaced ours last summer and paid 255.00 per tire out the door (mounted, old tire disposal and tax) and that didn't include balancing.

Tom is right. Be sure to check the dates.

Take care

Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:41 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
We lost 2 G614s during 2007, one in July and the other in October - both tires had Feb 04 date codes. Goodyear took care of the damage to the 5th wheel and replaced all 4 tires. Like Tom, I got the same wink and nod with the statement: "Don't worry - the replacement tires are upgraded from the ones that failed."

We'll see. Although I haven't had any problems since, if I lose another G614, off they come and on goes the 17.5" H-rated tire/wheel combo.

On Edit: Changed 1997 to 2007 - danged OldTimer's disease!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:49 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by clspds:

Tom is right. Be sure to check the dates.

Take care

Paul
Cloud,

Like ANYONE would question me....cause I am SKIA!!!

P.S. ...at least in my mind!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 02-09-2009, 04:52 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by rockintom:
Torque and retorque the lugs for at least a 1000 miles. I replaced ours at 3 years old for safety sake as we FT and our rig is our home!
Tom,
1. What #'s do you torque to and how often?
2. Do you know how many miles were on the tires when you replaced them?
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:56 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Anyone notice my sig pic of me and Donna at a Valentines Day dinner.....I knew if I waited long enough that it would come back in style. Just like Larry G's hairdo and B2's Buddy Holly glasses! Don't we have fun here?

Hope no one mentions my droopy drawers, buzz cut, or my not-so near perfect profile....as I can get purdy sensitive. I'm good about dishing it out....ohhhhh but I can't take it. Spoiled brat, I think they called me!
Old 02-09-2009, 05:27 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Tim,

PI says 90 ft lbs of torque. The tech wouldn't let us leave when we had the Kodiak disc brakes installed until he torqued them to 125 lbs.

My experience has shown that <span class="ev_code_RED">anytime</span> you remove the wheel from hub (especially aluminum wheels), you need to go through a retorqueing process. After the initial torque, I do another at 100 miles, then 250 miles, 500 miles and 750 miles and 1,000. After 1,000 I get no change and quit checking at that point. Oh well, I do check about every 6 months and find no tightening needed. You will surprised at the amount of movement you get at 100 miles after a reinstall. Enough for now.

We had about 30,000 miles on our tires.

Sidenote.... the few times when we towed 55-60 MPH) in higher ambients 95-100*F, I would check tires temps at the rest stops. I checked temp at the second-in thread from the outside or inside (the area GY recommends) we were at 165-167*F Tire manufacturers "promise" them to come apart after prolong temps at 180*F! Too close for comfort! No, we are not overloaded! I don't deal well with questionable tires!
Old 02-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
PI says 90 ft lbs of torque. The tech wouldn't let us leave when we had the Kodiak disc brakes installed until he torqued them to 125 lbs.

Tom,
Being an automotive guy, do you know what the torque rating is for the lugs? I wonder why the large discrepency. Gosh, I hope I spelled that right.
Ed

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by evan0810:

Tom,
Being an automotive guy, do you know what the torque rating is for the lugs? I wonder why the large discrepancy. Gosh, I hope I spelled that right.
Ed
I used spell check....I would have spelled it the same way you did...but I have an outstanding IQ of 14! Gotta "a" in it. SKIA don't now much, but I think those hubs are rated as 8,000 lbs.(NeverRLube) However, the axle itself is rated at 7,000 lbs. At least that is what Dexter told me. The studs are (I believe) 9/16" diameter. 90 lbs. seems light to me, but when I torqued my at that spec. I never had any problems for a year of use. I now torque them to 125 lbs with no problem either. To me, the later figure seems more realist!
I enjoy being a little on the "tight" side!
Old 02-11-2009, 02:22 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
To me, the later figure seems more realist!
SKIA,

Is it "later" or latter?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:46 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Maybe some of us need "grammar check".
Ed

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:55 AM   #13

Don't know if it's helpful.

Dexter service manual

Keystone RV, wheel torque
Old 02-11-2009, 04:52 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by MakinSmoke:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">To me, the later figure seems more realist!
SKIA,

Is it "later" or latter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once again Virg, you're right! Thanks for catching my many mistakes. In my past life I was a "doer" and not a "desk job administrator" where spelling and grammar were quite so important! Thanks for bringing up to speed and helping me be a wee bit better in that arena. Hopefully, you can pick up on some the nuts and bolts shared here, so Jo doesn't have to hire someone to change out a light bulb on the Funhouse. We can learn from one another! Many times I can't even get it close enough for spell check to help me out!

Thanks again! SKIACantSpellALick