RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Toilets

OK everyone question about which toilet is better. Presently have a theford aqua magic and have to replace the flush valve at least once a year due to freezing. Have tried everything short of removing and storing in a warm place, not a great option because I use the rig in the winter. At aprox $37/ plus contorting around the bathroom ( I am so good now I don't remove the toilet LOL) Would changing to a Dometic Sealand 310 help? If I replace, is the sealand a direct fit or are modifications required? Let the POO flow!!!!!!!!!

cwo4mstumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I also use my rig year round. What I do instead of pumping antifreeze in the water lines is blow air through out the whole water system. I set the compressor at 50 lbs. and have all the valves open. Let that run for 10 minutes. The I shut all valves off but one. Let it blow air for a couple of minutes. Follow the same with all valves through out the rig. This takes me about 1/2 hour to do. I do this each time I use the rig during the times that it might freeze. I do drain the water heater and leave the plug out and the pressure valve open during the winter months. Do remember to also blow out the outside water faucet also.

Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo4mstumpf View Post
OK everyone question about which toilet is better. Presently have a theford aqua magic and have to replace the flush valve at least once a year due to freezing. Have tried everything short of removing and storing in a warm place, not a great option because I use the rig in the winter. At aprox $37/ plus contorting around the bathroom ( I am so good now I don't remove the toilet LOL) Would changing to a Dometic Sealand 310 help? If I replace, is the sealand a direct fit or are modifications required? Let the POO flow!!!!!!!!!
Hey Marc,

Someone on here recently did a switch from Thetford auqa magic to Sealand because they thought it was better and said it was a "drop in". While the Thetford valve are a bit of a weak link since they go to leaking water especially when depressing the pedal, we've NEVER allowed ours to freeze. I'm curious what you're thinking is in regard to that. If it's freezing...it's freezing and I don't think it makes a difference what brand it is. Just my thought. I see PI has gone back to Dometic (Sealand) in '13 year model after using Thetford for quite a few years. Alot of folks swear by Sealand. I've never owned one myself. And had good luck with my Thetford. I do, however keep a bowl seal and water valve on hand at all times. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I keep my rig outside, and during the winter months, I leave some pink RV antifreeze in the bowl. Doing this prevents the seal from drying out and leaking.

I've been doing this since I've owned my MH, and it has proven to be a good practice.

Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
You guys make me appreciate living in Texas.

I've never used the pink stuff or blown out the lines. If it will be below freezing for 24+ hours, I turn the furnace on to 40. Never had a pipe freeze, but rarely need to worry.

We camp more in the winter than the summer. It was 106 here today. Our camping club cancelled our August campout due to the heat. First August I've not camped in Texas for a few years.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are 3 ways to winterize a motor home or trailer. I have used all 3

First year I used the WET method, This is where I dump in gallons of "pink stuff" and pump it through all the lines making very sure it gets into all the valves YES I remembered to flush the toiliet.. Next spring I had to flush all that crap out and sanatize, and .. Well, it was a lot of work.

Next year I used the dry method, This is where you drain as much water as you can then blow Gabrial Blow, Using an air compressor and a pressure regulator I blew till nothing came out, then I paused, and blew again, like 10 times, Making sure to open all valves INCLUDING the toilet flush valve, I then emptied the waste tanks and added pink stuff to drains and traps and the toilet .

I now use a variation of the "S" method, the full method is this:

Strap a snow blower to the front of the motor home or tow vehicle, Drive SOUTH till someone looks at it with a puzzled look scratches his head and says "What hte BEEP is that?"

I skip the snowblower.. Just drive south.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom

Hey Marc,

Someone on here recently did a switch from Thetford auqa magic to Sealand because they thought it was better and said it was a "drop in". While the Thetford valve are a bit of a weak link since they go to leaking water especially when depressing the pedal, we've NEVER allowed ours to freeze. I'm curious what you're thinking is in regard to that. If it's freezing...it's freezing and I don't think it makes a difference what brand it is. Just my thought. I see PI has gone back to Dometic (Sealand) in '13 year model after using Thetford for quite a few years. Alot of folks swear by Sealand. I've never owned one myself. And had good luck with my Thetford. I do, however keep a bowl seal and water valve on hand at all times. rockin'
Tom,

Maybe it's time to upgrade rigs so you can gain experience with the Dometic Sealand toilet plus all the other new upgrade. You wouldn't want to lose the SKIA title, would you?
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor2BnC View Post
Tom,

Maybe it's time to upgrade rigs so you can gain experience with the Dometic Sealand toilet plus all the other new upgrade. You wouldn't want to lose the SKIA title, would you?
99, I agree you need to freshin' your rig up with a new one!!! Hear that Bryan......don't forget me on the "bird dog" fee!!! I promise to share with my Excel brothern and sistern on a happy hour!!!

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote