RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:59 PM   #1

Tow Vehicle Choices

It's the age old battle GM vs Ford, sorry Mopar/RAM guys I've got a Jeep Wrangler and one Chrysler product is plenty. I've always been a GM guy since my first car a '66 Chevy Chevelle SS 396. My first FW TV was a '04 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC SB Duramax and currently we're using our '12 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SRW CC SB Duramax to tow an Excel 31IKE.

I'm looking to upgrade the truck so today I took back to back test drives in a '19 Ford F350 SRW CC SB Platinum and a '19 GMC 3500HD CC SRW SB Denali. Though they are both very nice trucks it's amazing how far behind the GMC was when it came to a long list of Ford features that GM doesn't even offer.

Adaptive Cruise
Adaptive Steering - really noticeable on the low speed turning
Trailer Tow Camera System with great hitch camera and a 360 view including trailer! (GM does have a wireless add-on camera system no 360 though)
Blind Spot Assist w/Trailer Included
Integrated Trailer TPMS
Keyless Entry & Push Button Start
Power Retracting Step Bars
Power Extending & Folding Mirrors
Power Tilt/Telescope Wheel
Power Tailgate
Twin Panel Moonroof
Built-in Tail Gate Step
Rapid Heat - Supplemental Quick Heat
Fold Flat Under Rear Seat Storage Bin
Massage Seats. (My wife loves these in my Benz GL450)

The Ford was longer (10"), had higher floor and roof height and felt a little more beasty than the GMC. I did prefer the more sedate GM interior vs the big, tough, in your face, lots of metal Ford look. That extra length showed up in the bigger rear seat area and slightly longer box. Even though it doesn't change the turning radius the Adaptive Steering made the longer WB truck feel more agile at low speed.

Of course the added Ford features show up on the sticker price. The Platinum with Diesel, Ultimate Package, Trailer Cam/TMPS, Spray In Bedliner, FW Prep and all weather mats was a heart stopping $80k! The Denali topped out at just under $72k and the Ford guys are only discounting 5% with tight availability while GM will go 10% off MSRP. Although the Ford dealer wanted to deal on a crazy, loaded Platinum with MSRP $84k!!!. It was on the lot over 30 days and the Mgr didn't want to let me walk saying what if I could get that near $40k with your truck.

Big difference in price, with the Ford +$10K but apples to oranges on the features list. I guess you could build a Lariat with options to match the Denali features and price. With the 21st Century tech especially the trailer towing stuff I'm leaning Ford all the way. The GM seems like a minimal upgrade from my '12 Chevy LTZ. The Fords are holding their value though, I'm seeing some low mileage '17's in the low $60's, the same as a new Denali. That might be a good way to avoid the $75k cost for new one. Dealers offered from $30k to $33k on my '12 (57500 miles, excellent condition). if i was ready to deal I'm sure they'd go $$34k.

If you have any advice or wisdom to help me with my choice I'd appreciate it.

BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2019, 10:58 PM   #2
JDT

I went thru the same thing when I traded our 15 Denali dually for our King Ranch, which, by the way, has every option you listed except for the trailer mounted camera. I was a long time GM guy but I wanted some of the safety features only Ford offers. The adaptive cruise is my favorite, especially when towing. It will keep my set distance from the vehicle in front of me and when it applies the brakes it also applies the Winslow's brakes. I really like using it when in heavy traffic. Our KR also has the massaging seats, a favorite of the wife. The camera system is very handy in parking the beast between the lines. Also, the camera mounted on the cab stop light has a centering line. I can see the hitch and it lets me hit the king pin perfectly every time. Otherwise, I would be hooking up blind, which is what I did with the GMC.

I have about 18K on it now and the only issue has been some leaking tire sensors, which has been common on the 17's. Plenty of towing power and is quicker on take off than the GMC was. Mileage towing is slightly less, 11 vs 10.5. What I notice more than anything is how quiet it is.

Our KR was only a few hundred less than a Platinum but I liked the seat color a little better. We got a solid color with the chrome package. I think they changed the color schemes on the KR's but haven't looked at one to know for sure.

I'm pretty sure the new 2020 HD trucks from GM will catch up tech wise, as will the pricing. I think they may be coming this year. Anyway, we've been very pleased with the Ford.

On edit, one comment about the optional trailer mounted camera. What I didn't like about it is it can only be used as back up camera. I wanted something full time so I went with a separate system.

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:50 PM   #3

Howdy!

If you like the features on the Ford the new 2019 Dodge HD is even better they say.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Brad, As you know I'm a big GM guy. Both our 3500 dually trucks were great. The last one was a real workhorse and did a great job up some major passes. Anyhow that said, one of my friend has the high end 2017 F-350 dually LB that is really loaded and awesome. So quiet and powerful with very comfortable seats. It's one of the $80K MSRP.

The new 2020 HD series Chevy is supposed to have all the technology updates, but I have to say.....it will take some getting used to in my books. Hard for me to say it...but the front end is butt-ugly. Of course, the 73 models were so different from the 72, and we thought it was ugly too....and now it's very sought after. Whatever......just my 2 worth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	silverado-hd-comparison-lead.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	232408  
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:33 AM   #5
JDT

The new Chevy is something that will have to grow on me. I've read the GMC's might be a little better but haven't seen a picture of one yet.

One thing I forgot to mention is the height of any of the new trucks will be more than your 2012. I had to lower my hitch to it's lowest setting and still sit ever so slightly nose high. I still have plenty of bed clearance so it is not a problem. Just one more thing to consider.

Tom, hope everything is going okay with your new lifestyle.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:33 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Jim, new lifestyle is just OK.....I miss the old though...alot. But what is....is.

Here's a spy photo of 2020 GMC HD.....looks better to me. Click on it to enlarge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2020-gmc-sierra-hd-spy-photos-1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	232438  
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 01-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #7

So if you aren’t in a real need for the truck now, wait until the new GM vehicles are out. You may not want one of those but with more competitive offerings from GM it might make Ford more willing to deal. The new Rams May be comparable to the Ford but they are not the main competition that Ford worries about.
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:26 PM   #8

As soon as I saw the height on the Ford I was thinking about my pin box height. It could be a problem since I'm already at the highest position. It tows level with the '12 but as you mentioned these trucks are higher. With the MorRyde IS I'm not sure if any adjustment to the trailer wheels is possible.

Not sure on that new Chevy look either Tom. The Ford looks better to me right now but that Chevy look could grow on me and the GMC might go a different direction. Seems like the new GM HD's are going to hit the dealers this summer as an early '20, I probably wait to see them as elite wa suggested. Nothing at all wrong with my '12 I just want to get it on the books before I get rid of my business and while it's still worth +$30k on a trade. Then I can join Tom in the leisure life of the retired.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #9

The High Country version has a much different look, better than the LT I think. Back to the bowtie instead of the big CHEVROLET
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1544100505879.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	232484  
Old 01-20-2019, 12:24 AM   #10

Hi BR,
Have you considered a drw with the weight of your fw and if not why as your probably close to 18000 GVWR on your trailer.

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:43 AM   #11

Max 1,
Fortunately our trailer is 15,500#, well under the 17,000# FW tow limit for the '12 Chevy 3500 SRW. The SRW / DRW debate has had many posts here. I still find the SRW a much better touring vehicle when we are unhitched and have never felt the truck wasn't a good match for our tow weight.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Brad, the weight deal is an ongoing debate for sure. In your situation, you don't have to be concerned with a total GCWR issue as you are in the clear, but rather a payload issue on the truck. You are probably near the rating limit, depending what your actual tongue weight is on the rig and the load items you have in the truck. Doc Fife is the master at this subject when he had a 3500 SRW 1 ton!!! No badgering from me on this subject.......I don't even have dog in the fight any longer!
Old 01-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #13

No more words needed ....Click image for larger version

Name:	49053.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	232537
Old 01-21-2019, 07:06 AM   #14

Rockin,
You're right though I'm under on the total weight it's the payload where I'm close, especially if I fill my 60 gal tank. Dr Fife did finally go DRW but he does have a bigger rig than me. At his suggestion I went to the larger 275 tires for just a bit more load capacity than the stock 265 size.

Weight aside I'm still wondering how I'm going to set up the trailer with one of those new higher trucks. My pin box is already at the highest position.

Tags
tow