Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #1

Tow Vehicle Question

We looked a windslow 31SKM and really liked it a lot! We plan on outfitting it with may options including the motorcycle lift.
We have looked at ether a F-350 or a 450 truck to pull this rig, but I thought I would come here for some advice. We are a little cost sensitive, but there is not a lot of difference between these two trucks.
dTardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
A suitable equipped F-350 (dually) will be fine IMO.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to redwing1
Our F-350 6.0 Diesel (dually) handled our L35TKE with no problem, be sure to get the camper pkg so you don't have to add air bags. You don't have the insurance hunting problem with the F-350 that you will have with the F-450.
redwing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You may want to reconsider the motorcycle lift. It puts a lot of extra stress and weight on the rear of the trailer frame. Also it will cause the pin weight to reduce and possibly cause some undesired ride characteristics. Excel offered the motorcycle lift at one time and I believe no longer offer this. A fellow lost his motorcycle.

How about some specs on the trailer. Normally a 31' 5er will work with a 3/4 ton truck, but a 1 ton would give you more room for future growth.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
You will be fine with the F-350. I would go for the dually for side wind stability when towing.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
If you go with the F-350, make SURE you get the "Tow Boss" package with the 4.30 gear. You'll be real happy happy you did when you go up a few mountain passes. The 4.88 gear would be a little much and not necessary (hard on fuel on a day to day basis) for what your pullin'. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
If you go with the F-350, make SURE you get the "Tow Boss" package with the 4.30 gear. You'll be real happy happy you did when you go up a few mountain passes. The 4.88 gear would be a little much and not necessary (hard on fuel on a day to day basis) for what your pullin'. rockin'
I'll second Tom's recommendation on the F-350 w/Tow Boss (4.30 ratio, etc.) for your reqt.
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
TxIceman's statement isn't accurate. To my knowledge there has never been a person lose their motorcycle off a hydralift. We still are offering it on all units 33' and below. We discontinued it on the 35' and above because the distance from the rear axle to the lift platform was long enough that it caused excessive bouncing and whipping of the bike.

As for losing pin weight, we've found about a 3 to 1 ratio in pin weight reduction. i.e. if you put a 900# combination (bike & hydralift) on the back, you'll see about a 300# weight reduction on the pin. Then when you add back in your payload, some water, perhaps a generator, and/or a washer/dryer, the pin weight reduction is not really much of a factor.

We have put on several in the past few months. They seem to be gaining popularity again.

If you have questions you can call me at the factory. I'll be happy to help.

Bryan
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:14 AM   #9

dTardis: It just doesn't sound like you'd need a F450 from what you've described. When we were making the decision on tow vehicle, the break point for a Ford was a GCW of 26,000 lbs for the 2009 models. If you were under 26,000 lbs, the F350 dually was fine. Of course when we were trying to make the decision (and as we didn't have the fiver), everything was estimated. Seemed like my calculations would come out something like 26,005 lbs. As were were looking at the longer, heavier trailers, we settled on the F450.

If you do chose a F350, see if you can get one with the wide track front end. We have that on our truck and the turning radius is better than we had on our older 2001 F250.

Also, don't hesitate to call Bryan and the factory if you think you need to. They're great folks and there's no dumb questions.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:46 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelRVGuy View Post
TxIceman's statement isn't accurate. To my knowledge there has never been a person lose their motorcycle off a hydralift.
Bryan,

Please refer to post #5 in THIS thread.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelRVGuy View Post
As for losing pin weight, we've found about a 3 to 1 ratio in pin weight reduction. i.e. if you put a 900# combination (bike & hydralift) on the back, you'll see about a 300# weight reduction on the pin. Then when you add back in your payload, some water, perhaps a generator, and/or a washer/dryer, the pin weight reduction is not really much of a factor.
The mathematics associated with the effect on pin weight are quite simple. In simplified form, it's equivalent to a see-saw (or teeter-totter). For the system to be in balance, F(L) x D(L) must equal F(R) x D(R) - that is, the force (weight of the individual) on the left side of the pivot times the distance out from the pivot the individual is seated must equal the force (weight of the individual) on the right side of the pivot times the distance out from the pivot the individual is seated. For example, a 200 pound individual seated 3 feet from the pivot on the left side (200 x 3 = 600 lb-ft) can be balanced by a 100 pound individual seated 6 feet from the pivot on the right side (100 x 6 = 600 lb-ft).

The same principle applies in the rough sketch below. For the system to be in equilibrium, W1 x D1 must equal W2 x D2. Therefore, solving for W1 (pin weight effect), W1 = W2 x (D2 / D1).

If I add 1000 lbs of weight on the rear of the fifth wheel (W2), the effect on the pin weight (W1) will be governed by the ratio of D2 divided by D1. The weight added to the rear (W2) plus the weight removed from the pin (W1) will show up as increased fifth wheel tire and axle loading. Therefore, adding 1000 lbs to the rear of the 5th wheel could result in removing 1000 lbs from the pin weight and adding 2000 lbs to the tire and axle loading in the case where D2 equals D1. The actual measurements of D1 and D2 will, of course, establish the actual ratio.

(On Edit: For the purists, by adding the carrier and motorcycle, we've created a torque or moment equal to W2 x D2. The effect on the pin weight is a function of the length of the moment arm D1.)

Rusty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lift.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	2101  
Old 12-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #12

Rusty, is the fulcrum really at the axles?

Reason I ask is that may times I've loaded a trailer (not necessarily our Excel) behind the axles only to have the trailer "settle" vice lower the hitch weight.

David
Old 12-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davydee View Post
Rusty, is the fulcrum really at the axles?
The trailer settles because the axle loading is being increased as I described above, but any torque or moment developed still affects the pin weight.

To illustrate, would you agree that you can stack bricks in the rear of a utility trailer until the tongue jack comes off the ground? Most of us have been there and done that, or something like it. When this happens, the tongue weight is less than zero! The trailer pivots on the axle when the rear hits the ground and the tongue points toward the sky, right?

Rusty
Old 12-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dTardis View Post
We looked a windslow 31SKM and really liked it a lot! We plan on outfitting it with may options including the motorcycle lift.
We have looked at ether a F-350 or a 450 truck to pull this rig, but I thought I would come here for some advice. We are a little cost sensitive, but there is not a lot of difference between these two trucks.
PM me if you are interested in seeing an alternative to the hydralift option. My motorcycle hauling solution works well for small to medium bikes without the weight and complexity of a hydraulic lift.

I agree with you about the differences between an F350 and an F450. Save your money as a new fully optioned F350 DRW will do the job for you. A new RAM would do the job too - possibly for less money.