Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #1

Traded our Excel for Newer Model

We purchased a 2006 30RSO Classic from a friend last June. Nice trailer but last month ran across a clean 2009 30TKE Limited at Kay's RV in Moriarty, NM. I was actually doing some shopping for a friend that that was looking to upgrade to an Excel.

When friend backed away from upgrading, we worked out a trade with Kay.

We're currently on our first trip and enjoying the extras provided by the Limited option, the totally enclosed bathroom that the RSO didn't provide, plus extras like hydraulic slide and landing gear. Haven't needed it yet but the 5500 watt Onan will be a welcome addition.

There's a new set of bugs to sort out, and we lost all the LED lighting and solar panels we'd just installed on the older trailer, but looking forward to the challenge of setting it up just the way we want it.

On the morning we signed papers, we went to lunch while tech was checking things out, while eating, I saw the notification of Excel's closing. That would not have affected our decision, but certainly sad to hear the news.

We're in Junction, TX at state park, moving to Bandera, TX Sunday, then winding our way back to New Mexico the following Sunday via Austin, Waco, etc.

See you on the Road

Brad and Beverly in our new to us 2009 30TKE

PS, I see I misspelled "Traded" in the header but don't see any way to edit it. Oh Well.
BradBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Title changed, you just got to love auto spell :(
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:03 PM   #3

Brad,
Good luck with the new Excel, Kay's still has the pictures up and it's looks like a very nice, clean rig.
09 Excel 30TKE- SOLD
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:08 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Congrats on the newer rig. Kay knows the business well and is a straight shooter. Hope you get lots of fun in your rig. Don't forget to get some of that good TX BBQ and Mexican food. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:36 PM   #5

Know Kay, bought our unit from her 9 years ago. Can only say good things about her.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #6

Yes, I'm impressed with Kay. I feel she gave me as good of a deal she could without screwing over the gentleman that owned the trailer (consignment sale). She helped me get upgraded tires when learning we were heading to Alaska this summer.

As I've said after purchasing the last 3 RV's, "This will be the last rig I buy.", but if I were looking for another rig, I'd be calling Kay.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:14 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradBev View Post
She helped me get upgraded tires when learning we were heading to Alaska this summer.
Brad, What tires did you upgrade to? Are yours 16"?
Old 04-22-2015, 11:18 PM   #8

Don,

I was at a loss as to what to order. Kay said research it but there just wasn't time, so I said we'd go with her recommendation and I'm glad I did.

LT 235/85R16 Load Range G 14 Ply Goodyear G614 RST Unisteel Radial Trailer Tire

It looks like it's about as good as it gets. I'm a little confused as to the LT or Light Truck designation, but described as a radial trailer tire.

I really like the Michelin LT tires but have seen first hand how the Southwest sun seems to do a job on Michelin sidewalls. (I run Michelin on my two passenger vehicles.)

The Goodyears show made in the USA and I think (and hope) they will work great.

Brad
Old 04-23-2015, 08:19 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Brad. I am ready to replace my Goodyears and thought there might be something out there better, but I guess not.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8ite View Post
Thanks Brad. I am ready to replace my Goodyears and thought there might be something out there better, but I guess not.
There is but it includes 17.5" new rims, as you know it can get a bit costly. The 17.5" tires get pricey too. On this subject, you gotta pay to play.

Unless you're really serious to do the update, on your smaller rig, I'd feel OK with the GYs. Based on my experienced with that tire over the years, it runs hotter as it has lots of sidewall flex, so run at max pressure (110psi cold) and replace tires at least every 4 years of service (I changed mine at 3 years -but I'm anal!) Many of my friends had tire failures on the hot summer trip on the 4th year.

What ever you buy, request the DOT date code to make sure you are getting fresh tires. Make 'em show them to you! When they put these things on sale, sometimes they move some year old tires if they can get away with it (if no one asks). HTHs rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 04-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The Michelin 16" have lower load carrying capacity then the GY's. The GY614 is the best tire out there in the 16" world IMO. I air mine to 105 psi cold and after they warm up they run 110 - 115 psi. They can get higher on very hot days. GY says the failure temp is around 150 F. I've seen mine up to 125 F. At that point I slow down and pull off for a break or call it a day.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
The Michelin 16" have lower load carrying capacity then the GY's. The GY614 is the best tire out there in the 16" world IMO. I air mine to 105 psi cold and after they warm up they run 110 - 115 psi. They can get higher on very hot days. GY says the failure temp is around 150 F. I've seen mine up to 125 F. At that point I slow down and pull off for a break or call it a day.
chief, beg to differ with ya, but my 614s used to run 150-157*F on a high ambient temp day. GY says they'll start coming apart about 175-180*F. of course, depending on many other variables (age, weight, pressures, etc). Hell, my cool as a cucumber Michelins XTA will run as much as 125*F Just sayin'

Of course we do have to look at weights here too. We are close to max but I'm sure you're not, cause you run a SRW truck....oh hell here we go again!!! Just kiddin'
Old 04-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #13

OK Boys !!
Old 04-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ha....since when do you "beg" to to have a differing opinion! Lol...I was told when I bought my TST TPMS that the default temperature alarm is set at 157 F. Dan Covington from TST said that's the bottom side of the danger zone for "most" tires. Just saying. .
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excel