Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Truck tires

I did a search and found a little bit but it was mainly about tires for the 5th wheel. We need to replace the tires on out 3500 Dodge Duely and were wondering if you had any suggestions. We have one in pretty bad shape, they are original to the truck and the date put them at 4 y/o. I want to get DH to get them on before we tow again but I know he won't do anything until he has done his research so thought we'd start with all of you.
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by janieD View Post
I did a search and found a little bit but it was mainly about tires for the 5th wheel. We need to replace the tires on out 3500 Dodge Duely and were wondering if you had any suggestions. We have one in pretty bad shape, they are original to the truck and the date put them at 4 y/o. I want to get DH to get them on before we tow again but I know he won't do anything until he has done his research so thought we'd start with all of you.
After doing a fair amount of research, I replaced the original tires on my Dodge with Michelin LTX M/S in the stock size. At a little over 10k miles, they still look new. No differences from stock with handling. I considered going with a 19.5" commercial tire/wheel combination but when towing I am well within the capacity of the stock setup and it didn't seem worth the added expense.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by janieD View Post
Can't argue with Steve R......I always had good performance out of Michelin tires.....just find what you want and price check serveral places of business. Make sure your price is "out the door" and you don't get in the store and they start talking "tire disposal fee", tire excise tax, and the like to "up-up" their original estimate.

I have also had a set of Goodyear Wrangler M&S all season tire as original equipment when I bought Tug new. They were a $74.00 on/off road tire option. They performed excellently for 72,400 miles when I decided it was getting time to freshin' up the paws. They still weren't down to the wear bars.....but in my mind it was time. Don't forget I'm a little anal with tire pressure checking and 6-8,000 mile tire rotation. I didn't go back with them though, it was gonna cost about $1,200 to replace them (6 tires)with them with the same tire. We may not keep ol' Tug all that much longer. We have 95,000 miles on him today. Still purrin' like a kitten. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
....We may not keep ol' Tug all that much longer. We have 95,000 miles on him today. Still purrin' like a kitten. rockin'
Did anybody else catch this? Ol' Rocky's gettin' ready to cross over. Remember how he snuck up on the new trailer?

Jim
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Bona View Post
Did anybody else catch this? Ol' Rocky's gettin' ready to cross over. Remember how he snuck up on the new trailer?

Jim
Heaven forbid he join the big boys. HDT. He'll never get along with the group over on Escapee's
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Bona View Post

Jim
Jim,

The only thing I'm "crossing over" is the street.....to get to the "liqqy" store!

Since Ms. Donna doesn't want to do the HDT.......we may get of the new 2011 Heavy Duty 3500 DRW (someday). Then I'd be completely legal with the GCWR! Wonder what that would feel like??? rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Back to getting this back on topic…..The original tires on my truck where Goodyear’s, I was faithful about rotations and did get 70,000 out of them. I have some frustrations with a dually. If you are not there when they mount them low and behold they have the inside tire’s valve stem inaccessible. Not being in an area all the time it is hard to use the benefits of the life time rotation. So if one rotates every 5 or 6 thousand it can cost 40 to 50 dollars. So I figured I was spending $400 to $500 dollars to get the maximum tire wear on a set of tires. I then would only rotate one side every other oil change ( 5000 miles). That being the front went to the back inside, the back inside to the back out side and the back out side to the front. This style rotation saved me some money.

That was for two sets of tires and then I got wiser and now I go for the cheapest that fit my towing loads and I stopped rotations completely. Since I get cheap ones I figure it is cheaper and less hassle( not doing rotations) to just replace them every two years. My last set I got in the San Joaquin valley last June. I have only put 6500 miles on them but I paid $80 a piece mounted and balanced. I also paid for a front end alignment at the time. I only use this truck for towing so I do not care about how they ride when not towing. So as you can see by replacing every two years I have saved money on tires. JanieD Good luck on your decision.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookIIRoadtrash View Post
Back to getting this back on topic…..The original tires on my truck where Goodyear’s, I was faithful about rotations and did get 70,000 out of them. I have some frustrations with a dually. If you are not there when they mount them low and behold they have the inside tire’s valve stem inaccessible. Not being in an area all the time it is hard to use the benefits of the life time rotation. So if one rotates every 5 or 6 thousand it can cost 40 to 50 dollars. So I figured I was spending $400 to $500 dollars to get the maximum tire wear on a set of tires. I then would only rotate one side every other oil change ( 5000 miles). That being the front went to the back inside, the back inside to the back out side and the back out side to the front. This style rotation saved me some money.

That was for two sets of tires and then I got wiser and now I go for the cheapest that fit my towing loads and I stopped rotations completely. Since I get cheap ones I figure it is cheaper and less hassle( not doing rotations) to just replace them every two years. My last set I got in the San Joaquin valley last June. I have only put 6500 miles on them but I paid $80 a piece mounted and balanced. I also paid for a front end alignment at the time. I only use this truck for towing so I do not care about how they ride when not towing. So as you can see by replacing every two years I have saved money on tires. JanieD Good luck on your decision.
I hear ya on some of this stuff.....but I rotate them myself or find a place that will do it for $24-30. and I watch and work with them on stem location and wheel torque. Now I have free rotation with the last time I bought tires from a national chain. My rotation preference is front staight back to outside rear, outside rear to the inside, inside cross to the front. That way you move position and change rotating direction of all tires. Just my thoughts B2
Old 08-18-2010, 06:50 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Can't argue with Steve R......I always had good performance out of Michelin tires.....just find what you want and price check serveral places of business. Make sure your price is "out the door" and you don't get in the store and they start talking "tire disposal fee", tire excise tax, and the like to "up-up" their original estimate.

I have also had a set of Goodyear Wrangler M&S all season tire as original equipment when I bought Tug new. They were a $74.00 on/off road tire option. They performed excellently for 72,400 miles when I decided it was getting time to freshin' up the paws. They still weren't down to the wear bars.....but in my mind it was time. Don't forget I'm a little anal with tire pressure checking and 6-8,000 mile tire rotation. I didn't go back with them though, it was gonna cost about $1,200 to replace them (6 tires)with them with the same tire. We may not keep ol' Tug all that much longer. We have 95,000 miles on him today. Still purrin' like a kitten. rockin'
Tom you are half way to my 200,000. If we go to your blog site and scrool back we can see your interest in the big trucks,which you said where of little interest.
Hermandutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermandutchman View Post
Tom you are half way to my 200,000. If we go to your blog site and scrool back we can see your interest in the big trucks,which you said where of little interest.
Dutchman,

I have great interest and desire to have an HDT, but my lovely bride doesn't. And with her doing about 35-40% of the driving that a huge factor. The main thing she doesn't like about the HDT is the climb up to get into the cab. She has bad knees. There would be no issue or fear with her shifting or float shifts as she grew up on sticks....in fact she was driving a stick when I met her.

I like sharing the driving with her so that's why I decided not go HDT.

Also I've done all the maintenance on Tug and know the ol' boy is in good shape and we hope to keep him another year and get one of the 2011/12 HD Chevy/GMC. Lots of capacity there! rockin'
Old 08-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Dutchman,
...as she grew up on sticks....in fact she was driving a stick when I met her.
Tom and Miss Donna's first date.

She tells him, "Stick it!"

He misunderstands and perseveres .

The rest is history!

Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Well, thanks for all the info and after a lot of research on the web we went with Cooper Discover Hts. Went out on several Dodge forums and found mainly good reviews on them. We have used Coopers on all our cars and have had very good luck with them so that is why we checked on them. The Michelins looked good too but had trouble with the price we could get around here and we are on a little bit of a short clock. Thanks for the input.
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce and Jenna View Post
Tom and Miss Donna's first date.

She tells him, "Stick it!"

He misunderstands and perseveres .

The rest is history!

OMG this is one of the best one liners in a long time and SKIA, who reads everything here is ignoring it. Good One Bruce!!!
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Michelin LTX M/S!!!

On for over two years now and not a problem. They cost a little bit more, but I have never had a problem with a Michelin.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote