Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2015, 01:38 PM   #1

Updates on Repair Work

This is for Chief2 and Rockin since I seem to be having trouble with the e-mail tag plus may be of some interest to others. The no-lub bearings froze in back right tire. Tire blew and brake assembly, wheel hub, wheel & tire gone. No axle damage as first thought. We sat 2 hours waiting for tow. 1700 tow bill but covered by insurance. Biggest problem on repair was locating matching mag wheel. Now on order from HiSpec, Ind. (Thanks Ralph, SC). After sitting 3 nights, 4 days in repair yard, no air, one 15 amp plug, was able to put spare on & move to RV Park in Farmington, NM. On advice from SC, and repair shop we are replacing all bearings, now on order. Will be Wed or Thursday before all parts are here. No one hurt and no damage to trailer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 02:07 PM   #2

If you don't mind me asking, is your insurance picking up the bill?

I believe Dexter recommends replacing the bearings every five years.
Rob17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
I haven't been able to find any info directly from Dexter on the life expectancy on Nev R Lube bearings. I read comments that bearing should last anywhere from 100K to 150K on various forums. Here's an exert I read from an RV parts site:

AXLES - What type of warranty does Dexter Axle offer?
Dexter Axle warrants to the original purchaser of a recreational vehicle manufactured by RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Manufacturer's Association) members for private non-commercial use or service, that the spring suspension axles will be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period of the earlier of two (2) years from the date of purchase by the original purchaser or 24,000 miles. The warranty period on the Nev-R-Lube bearing package is for a period of five (5) years or 100,000 miles from the date of purchase by the original purchaser.

We've towed over 100K in 10.5 years with 3 Excels that had Nev R Lube and never had a problem (yet!!).

I'm really surprised there was no warning (labored towing, overheating hubs, etc.) Just glad no one was hurt. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:41 PM   #4

Insurance is working on it, asking for pictures, talking to shop etc. no warning, just boom, puff. We were in a construction zone that was on/ off payment with 3 inch drops. Who knows, we were going 40 mph. We are over the dexter warranty. News to us, now we know.��
Old 08-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
I haven't been able to find any info directly from Dexter on the life expectancy on Nev R Lube bearings. I read comments that bearing should last anywhere from 100K to 150K on various forums. Here's an exert I read from an RV parts site:

Looks like you're right Tom. All I could find in my documentation is they are warrantied for 5 years or 100K miles. This is actually a relief as those bearings are not cheap.
Rob17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:42 PM   #6

We are looking at 200.00 a wheel, includes labor but figuring more. Insurance will only cover the one wheel ( maybe, but we still have deductible)
Old 08-08-2015, 05:45 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Were you running with pressure/heat sensors?
Old 08-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #8

No. Boss checks hub temp periodically with ir gun.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
A TPMS with temp may have given a early warning. Also a IR temp gun and checking hubs for a temp anomaly at stops may have also indicated a pending failure.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:46 PM   #10

Well live and learn.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by copilot View Post
Well live and learn.
Like Dr. Phil says....."when you know better, you do better"!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:39 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Nev R Lube bearings

We have a 2002 HR 5th wheel. Ran for 13 years on the 42mm bearings. Checked them annually as stated on Dexters website. Replaced the steel rusted rims 5 years ago. Luckily on towed about 300 miles @ year. Found out that rims were not zero offset and replaced them last month along with the bearings. Never thought a (-.08mm offset) would be an issue. I always check tires and hubs ~ 100-200 miles. Towed newly replaced bearings for short 50 mile round trip to weigh station. Trailer under weight by 2000#. Unfortunately one hub was hotter than the other 3 by 20*. Dexter indicated this wasn't a concern, maybe loading in the trailer. I checked that wheel yesterday and found 2-3 times axial play as recoomended. ONly then did I realize the hub had become worn. Due to the none approved rims according to Dexter. The bearing could be hammered out on that hub, should have realized something wrong. The others all pressed out and back. Checked the sister tire on same side, no axial movement. Going to check the other 2 this weekend. Dexter indicates that due to non-zero offset wheel, same may occur on other 4. $$. Nothing in the HR manual about this critical issue. New hubs come with bright yellow warning sticker...
Live and learn. At least didn't fail on the road.
Karpcbk14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair

« Issues | 37SDF »