Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Vent covers

The vent cover for the black tank vent (pvc pipe that pokes up through the roof) has rusted through and fallen off, leaving a rusting metal base that holds water around the base of the vent. That can’t be good, but I don’t see the purpose of covering the vents to begin with and replacing it with an OEM cover would be painful, requiring scraping off the old Dicor and resealing the new cover. So I just drilled some 3/16 in holes through the rusted base at roof level all the way through the pvc vent so any water trapped around the base of the vent tube will drain either out onto the roof or into the vent tube. Unless I’m missing something abut why these covers are required.
- John
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2018, 07:23 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Anything dropped down the vent, like maple seeds, leaves, twigs, etc. could get into the blade and seals of the blade valve. A hair dryer can help soften the caulk, then a plastic scraper can help shave it down until you get the rusted metal off, which probably could stain the roof or sides. Replace it with an all plastic vent cover.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:46 PM   #3

Can you post a photo? It sounds like you've created a hole not a drain tube. That metal flange and plastic vent pipe you drilled into is most likely not a solid piece. The water will likely just leak between the two and run down into your rig. I hope I'm wrong but...

As mentioned the cap is there to keep debris, critters, rain or snow out.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:01 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
John, I've replaced so many of those metal vent covers over the years. But finally got wise and replaced with a plastic cover which ended the issue. You make it sound like it's such a big job. Actually it's super easy. As others have mentioned, the cover keeps the debris out.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:17 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Ok, I’m on it. Plastic sounds like the way to go. It rained last night and it was dry around the vent with the missing cap this morning, so my quickie mod might’ve helped.
- John
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, vent