Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Vent Covers

I just did a search on vent covers and we have never discussed this subject in Excel. I know we are getting lots of newbies and think it might be nice to discuss the pros and cons of this add on. My self I have always installed them in all my rigs. I like to leave a vent open and not worry that it might rain while I am gone. I also feel the covers take the sun rot a lot better than the original lids. Another thing I like to do during the summer is travel with my vents open and the fans running. I feel it keeps the air circulating and keeps my trailer cooler.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I also have covers on all of my vents, including the one with the "rain sensor." When I bought the coach in 2003, I put the cheap cover on the bath room vent and the pricier covers on the other two vents. After about 3-4 years I replaced the cheap one with another of the pricier covers when I noted the cheap one was cracking around the attachment screws. I also replaced the cheap vent fan with a better Fantastic Fan at the same time. The cheap vent and cover went on a used pop-up trailer my son bought that was missing the a/c ...had a plywood "cover" over the hole.

We have been very glad to have the covers. They work great for some venting while traveling, during rain (even when we are gone and don't have to wonder if the automatic rain sensor actually worked), and they work really well for some venting when storing the rig in hot weather.

They do weather much better than the vent lids themselves ...and I have been in campground that had a brief hail storm that left the vent covers in good condition but cracked/broke some RV's vent lids.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Con: If you park your unit inside with only a 12' door you will not get it in with one one the bedroom vent. I do have them on the Wild Cargo since I had to give up my storage place.

Pro: Protects vent covers from hail. The are two kind of units. One thats been hailed on and one thats going to be. Owned the 2003 for six years and went through one minor hail storm. The Wild Cargo went through two hail storms in the first two months. Not a good feeling with a new unit. They don't add to the overall height on the Wild Cargo also. The main air tis higher.

Ihave never traveled with the vents open and would agree that it would make the unit cooler while traveling.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I going to admit to ignorance here. What vent covers are you referring to? WHat do they look like?
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Tim, here's what Woody is talking about. Vent Covers Would not consider a rig without them....no cons for us! We use the Maxair Vent over the Fantastic Fan in our kitchen. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Better yet... take a look at this photo album! The vent covers are the best way to travel I think...It does help keep fresh air in your rig- yet it keeps the rain out! (We have the type that will lift open so we can clean the other vents easier.)
Here is another photo from another angle...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:03 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Rocky, you sold me. I'm in. Next time I'm in a store with a couple of MaxxAir ll's they go on our roof.

Another great idea from this forum. Thanks folks.
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #8

We've been sold on vent covers for years, too. We put vent covers over the kitchen vent and the fantastic fan. Did not put one over the bedroom vent. The two rear vent covers don't add to the trailer height.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Covers on all the vents -- BDRM is a powered MAXAIR (in/out) with fan and temp control. We've always had MAXAIR covers on all our RVs. Peace of mind when it rains and its nice to leave a couple open for ventilation.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhicker View Post
I just did a search on vent covers and we have never discussed this subject in Excel. I know we are getting lots of newbies and think it might be nice to discuss the pros and cons of this add on. My self I have always installed them in all my rigs. I like to leave a vent open and not worry that it might rain while I am gone. I also feel the covers take the sun rot a lot better than the original lids. Another thing I like to do during the summer is travel with my vents open and the fans running. I feel it keeps the air circulating and keeps my trailer cooler.
Just curious...why would you limit your search to excel?
Old 11-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
I just remembered one little con on vent covers. You have to take them off to clean the lid and inside the vent cover. Not a big deal. I do see they now have an access door to do the clean without removing the entire cover. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 11-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Just curious...why would you limit your search to excel?

98% of the Excel members are happy staying here, instead of roaming the other communities. We seem to cover our coaches fairly will. Right now we have several new members with new Excels and I wanted to cover the subject of hood vents for their knowledge since we did not have any threads on the subject.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhicker View Post
98% of the Excel members are happy staying here, instead of roaming the other communities. We seem to cover our coaches fairly will. Right now we have several new members with new Excels and I wanted to cover the subject of hood vents for their knowledge since we did not have any threads on the subject.
Woody, not only that, but no other area in this forum would put up with our silliness!!! rockin'
Old 11-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Woody, not only that, but no other area in this forum would put up with our silliness!!! rockin'
US!!!!
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote