RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Vent sealant

Does anyone know what is used to seal the fans and vents on the roof (Fiberglass)? Ours has started to leak when it rains. I crawled up there today and it looks like the sealant was poured around the fan. It is probably 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick in places and is starting to crack. Is it the Dyco 20/20 seam sealant? I am thinking of using the Eternabond tape. Anyone got any better ideas? I was going to call Smith Center today, but somebody forgot to charge my cell phone.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #2

It may be the ever-popular Dicor, Self-Leveling Formula.

Pop

SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfinished91 View Post
Does anyone know what is used to seal the fans and vents on the roof (Fiberglass)? Ours has started to leak when it rains. I crawled up there today and it looks like the sealant was poured around the fan. It is probably 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick in places and is starting to crack. Is it the Dyco 20/20 seam sealant? I am thinking of using the Eternabond tape. Anyone got any better ideas? I was going to call Smith Center today, but somebody forgot to charge my cell phone.

Tommy,

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing the fan frame to roof is lined with butyl tape and then the top part of the frame (exposed to the elements) and screws are covered with Dicor self leveling caulk. Eternabond is one way to fix the issue, but you have to remove all the existing Dicor and cleaned very well for the Etape to stick. I'm surprised the original Dicor is cracked and leaking water. Usually it lasts a pretty good while. Let us know how it goes. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
As it turns out, it is Dicor 501 self-leveling sealant. Very simple to repair, just clean the cracks with mineral spirits and put some more on top of the cracks. It looks like a professional did it. Actually a professional did do it, my wife paid me a dollar just to see me on top of the trailer.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
I don't think I would use mineral spirits to clean the surface before apling the sealant. Alcohol is the preferred cleaned and it will do good job of getting the crud remove and drys quickly. Mineral spirits will leave an oily residue.

Dan
Dan Hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hen View Post
I don't think I would use mineral spirits to clean the surface before apling the sealant. Alcohol is the preferred cleaned and it will do good job of getting the crud remove and drys quickly. Mineral spirits will leave an oily residue.

Dan
In many situations I use mineral spirits and then come behind with a clean up of alcohol to remove the oily residue. Works for me. Alcohol just doesn't cut some things very well like butyl tape.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hen View Post

Dan
The instructional video that I saw on using Dicor specifically called for using mineral spirits to clean the area. The Dicor instructions on the tube just say to clean the area, it makes no mention of what to clean it with.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
AFAIK you can put Eternabond right over the Dicor if it's cleaned as above.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent