RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:30 PM   #1

Where is everyone spending the winter? I am in Alabama and it is COLD in my trailer. The floors are cold and especially in the bedroom under the bed. Do all of you experience this?

When the heat comes on, it blows hot air and gets warm, but almost immediately, that cold air starts in again. It has been getting down to 29 deg at night. How do you all handle this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:30 PM   #2

Where is everyone spending the winter? I am in Alabama and it is COLD in my trailer. The floors are cold and especially in the bedroom under the bed. Do all of you experience this?

When the heat comes on, it blows hot air and gets warm, but almost immediately, that cold air starts in again. It has been getting down to 29 deg at night. How do you all handle this?

Old 12-05-2007, 03:26 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
2goldens,

Currently in Fort Worth, Texas and basically about the same temperatures as you in Alabama. The coldest temperature I have experienced so far, is 17 degrees F and I managed that very well. The only cold spot on the floor seems to be in the galley of our MKO. The bed being over the heated cargo bay should not be getting very cold. Have you checked to see if all your duct work is connected to the furnace? I suppose each floor plan has it's own characteristics in how it manages the cold, but I think any Excel should not have a problem with the upper twenties. All I can say is when it gets really cold, you will use a lot of propane, i.e. 40#s about every 4 or 5 days if you keep it comfortable.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:15 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I've found that a small ceramic heater in the basement storage area, leaving the interior wooden access doors open on each side, provides sufficient heat to keep the floors warm. However, the majority of the area under the bed is positioned in the overhang area. We also use a heated mattress pad.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:25 AM   #5

You need to move further south. Here in Naples, FL the low this morning was 48 and the high yesterday was 74. Today will be 76 and tomorrow 80, then 80's every day for a week or more.

We're still stuck in our condo so no report on temps in our 5th wheel as we don't have one yet!

The condo is for sale so as soon as we can sell we'll be ordering our truck and trailer so we can hit the road full-time.

Bill
Dutch_man39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:26 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
2goldens,
We also use a heated mattress pad and we like it. We also use the insulated vent pillows sold at CW and my wife made one to fit the skylight in the shower. I agree that you should check your duct work. Last winter I checked ours and found the lid from a spray can restricting air flow in one duct. If you are in a area and get high winds check around your windows and slides for air getting in and insulate those spots.

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:26 AM   #7

I bought a ceramic heater from Home Depot, that has a remote for just that reason. Open the bathroom door to create a larger area with bedroom. Can turn on heater while still in bed . Works great and keeps a more consistent temperature in the MH.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #8

I find that swing in the regulation of the thermostat is large, probably about a 3 degree swing between the temperature the heater turns on and when it turns off. Is there anyway to change it so that the swing is smaller? I can do that on our home thermostat but haven't figured out how to do it on the one in the Excel.

Arizona
Greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:20 AM   #9

Frank,

Not sure if you have a Coleman Air Cond. and an Atwood furnance. This is the instruction manual for my units T-stat. Look on the bottom of page 14. Indicates that this electronic T-stat isn't adjustable if you have the same unit.

2goldens,

Not fulltiming. Spent last week at Ft. Clinch St Park in NE Fla. Low 39 at nite to mid 64-72 during the days. Used furnance to take the chill off in the morning and ran an electric when needed. Temps this week has been 77-82 for highs, using the time to caulk and seal the beast.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:55 AM   #10

In my RSE, with the enclosed bathroom, I have to keep the bathroom door open all the time to have the heat come out. The bathroom vent is right over the furnace and gets most of the heat blowing right there.

(Excel Engineer) I wonder why the vent could not be in the bedroom instead? That is a bigger area to heat than the little bathroom. I can always put a little electric heater in the bathroom if needed. But, the little vent in the bedroom has nothing coming out to speak of.

And, while I am thinking of it. Isn't there a way to make the vent covers more accessible without having to unscrew them each time to vacuum the dirt/dust out of them? This time, I am just leaving the screws out since I am in one spot for a while.

Also, it would be nice to have the vents be able to close in the summer, when you are not using the heat instead of open for dirt to fall in.

That's all I am thinking of at the moment!!
Old 12-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
2 goldens,
In our 33RSE the bedroom and bathroom heat vents are on the same duct. I bought a vent that closes and put it on in the bathroom and we keep it almost completely closed thus more heat comes out in the bedroom.

04 Excel 33RSE
Old 12-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #12

I have an RSE with an enclosed bathroom. I think the major problem in the design is most of the heat goes there and not in the bedroom. The bathroom vent is right over the furnace. I have to leave the door open at all times so the heat can come out and it goes toward the hallway. Excel engineer....why not have the vent in the bedroom? The small piping for the little vent in the bedroom emits little, if any, heat and it would make more sense having that go to the bathroom.

While I am on the matter of vents, I just unscrewed all the vents to vacuum the dirt and dust that fall through the open vents. Now, I am leaving the screws off while I am in one place during the winter. In the summer, I have put pieces of plastic under the vents to keep the dirt out. Why aren't the vents the kind that you can close?
Old 12-16-2007, 01:04 PM   #13

Clspds,
My RSE has a vent that opens/closes in the bathroom. Closing it doesn't help the coldness in the bedroom though. My bedroom vent is just a little 2" round hole in the wall. The plastic piping underneath is fed off the main furnance piping and it just doesn't get back there. Closing the bathroom does blow more heat out to living area.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:41 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
2 goldens,
I guess they changed the duct layout from 04 to 06. Sorry my idea does not help you.
Paul

04 Excel 33RSE