Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
JDT

Washer/Dryer Question

I think I am about to reach the limit on questions if there is one but I'll ask anyway.

We have a Splendide 2100XC washer/dryer combo. I opted for it as I did not want to add any more weight to the frontal area of the Winslow. Now that we have the new truck I don't think that is an issue any longer. A number of times the wife has wished we had gotten a stack unit as it adds a lot of time to the process waiting for the drying cycle to finish before she can start a new load. I told her I would see what I could find out.

First, what brand and model does PI use and do you like them? Any other recommendations? Also, I looked and there is one 20 amp breaker for the washer/dryer. Will that handle operating both at the same time? Slendide makes a stack set and I may see if the dryer will fit on top of my combo unit with their mounting kit. We would then just use the washer part of the 2100. Or, I may try to sell it and start over. Appreciate any help and advice.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2014, 11:48 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I think I am about to reach the limit on questions if there is one but I'll ask anyway.

We have a Splendide 2100XC washer/dryer combo. I opted for it as I did not want to add any more weight to the frontal area of the Winslow. Now that we have the new truck I don't think that is an issue any longer. A number of times the wife has wished we had gotten a stack unit as it adds a lot of time to the process waiting for the drying cycle to finish before she can start a new load. I told her I would see what I could find out.

First, what brand and model does PI use and do you like them? Any other recommendations? Also, I looked and there is one 20 amp breaker for the washer/dryer. Will that handle operating both at the same time? Slendide makes a stack set and I may see if the dryer will fit on top of my combo unit with their mounting kit. We would then just use the washer part of the 2100. Or, I may try to sell it and start over. Appreciate any help and advice.
Jim,

Whirlpool washer LDR3822PQ1
Whirlpool dryer 120V WFC7500VW1

You can run both of these at the same time as long as you're on 50A service. The thing I like on this washer is that it runs the spins cycle very fast and rather long so the clothes are just damp by the end of the spin cycle. The clothes in the dryers don't have to run very long before they are dry. Impressive. BTW, we run our washer on the light cycle which runs the wash for only 15 minutes instead of 30 minutes (on normal). Cleans fine and uses less water. If you running the washer on coach fresh water it take about 20% of fresh water on the light cycle....not bad. One other feature of this washer.......it's Tom proof....if you overload the washer it won't run. At the beginning of the wash the tub rocks back and forth to "evaluate the load"...if it doesn't run after that, you have to take a few clothes out.....I know.....more than you ask for.

If you do install, don't forget to put a water pan under the washer to protect the floor. You probably have one under your Splendide.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:12 AM   #3
JDT

Thanks, Tom. We do have the pan under the washer. I am going to call Splendide tomorrow and see if I can stack their dryer on the washer we have. If not, then I figure if I could get $750-800 for the one we have the cost would be about the same either way. We are leaving the 21st for 3 weeks in Colorado then home for 4 weeks before we leave for our 5 to 6 week trip north to our Canadian neighbors and the New England area. If I do anything it will be after we get back from Colorado.

One other question. Our Splendide can get a little shaky on the fast spin cycle which turns my recliner into a back message. Does the Whirlpool do the same thing?
Old 07-13-2014, 08:13 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Regarding shake. Yes, when the washer starts the spin cycle and it detects a calculated out of balance situation than it stops and rotates the tub backward a few rotations, to redistribute the weight, then tries again until it spins fairly smooth. This could happen several times if nec. I've found by using the stabilizers on the rig, the shake in rig is very minimal.

You know these words of our experience comes with a price....happy hour when we meet up some day!!!! So ask away!!! Just kidding, but I would like to crack corks with you some day! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 07-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #5

we had the combo unit in our previous unit and opted for the stack unit in our new 37sdf. wife likes the stack much better as you can wash and dry at the same time. dryer still takes a while because it is still 120 volt. the dryer only has one setting so all you do is set the time and start.
rfhtlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfhtlh View Post
we had the combo unit in our previous unit and opted for the stack unit in our new 37sdf. wife likes the stack much better as you can wash and dry at the same time. dryer still takes a while because it is still 120 volt. the dryer only has one setting so all you do is set the time and start.
The only time we have extended dryer time is when you have a couple pair of jeans. Other than that ours is about the same time as S&B. And on our dryer we have just air, permanent press, and simply a timed drying. rockin'
Old 07-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #7
JDT

Tom, can you tell how your dryer is fastened to the washer? Whirlpool has several stacking kits available but the one that appears to be the correct one is just a couple of steel brackets with 4 screws. The bracket kind of looks like an S but only 3 sided.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Tom, can you tell how your dryer is fastened to the washer? Whirlpool has several stacking kits available but the one that appears to be the correct one is just a couple of steel brackets with 4 screws. The bracket kind of looks like an S but only 3 sided.
I'll be quick as I have to catch the ferry to Victoria. The washer and dryer are connected with a plain piece of sheet metal strip (see pic) . This is on the right side which is accessible from the front. On the left side (not accessible without moving washer/dryer assy to the right. That strapping is a L shaped bracket that screws to the top of the washer then it makes a bend (L) to then screws into the side of the dryer. This I was not able to get a pic of due to clearance. The top brace is a strap on the left side of the dryer and screws to the wall. I suggest making the various straps using multiple screws to make it more robust. The normal shaking of washer on spin it just shakes out the threads (metal on washer very thin). As you see I need to fix mine on the right side (stripped out). I will make a wider strap with maybe 3 screws on each end. I've already modified the top mounting and it's holding up good. Originally it only had 2 screws on each end and didn't hold up. Gotta run. HTHs rockin'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Whirlpool W-D Mounting 002 (Copy).JPG
Views:	84
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	68181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Whirlpool W-D Mounting 004 (Copy).JPG
Views:	69
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	68182  

Name:	Excel Whirlpool W-D Mounting 005 (Copy).JPG
Views:	93
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	68183  
Old 07-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
JDT

Thanks a bunch. Have fun.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks a bunch. Have fun.
Your welcome.......I'm on the ferry right now. Super hot WiFi and high priced Canuck beer and weather's perfect......what more could a guy ask for???
Old 07-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Update On Strapping

Well it rained today and I upgraded the strapping of the washer to dryer on the right side (looking at it). The reason the stripped screw in the washer portion was because it was in screwed in the top portion which is a molded plastic (see pic of existing hole). No way would that hold with the movement of the washer in particular (spin cycle). I used 2 "mending plates" I got from HD. Drilled a starter hole (being careful that there wasn't anything thing behind the panel) in the washer and dryer and installed screws. Using 2 plates may be a bit overkill, but you know me!! I removed the right closet door to have better access. Here's some pix. HTHs rockin'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Excel Washer-Dryer stapping 001 (Copy).JPG
Views:	86
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	68863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Washer-Dryer stapping 002 (Copy).JPG
Views:	86
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	68864  

Name:	Excel Washer-Dryer stapping 007 (Copy).JPG
Views:	92
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	68865  
Old 07-25-2014, 11:10 AM   #12
JDT

Thanks for the pics, Tom. We are in Colorado now and the wife is going to decide if she wants to go with the stack system after we get done with this trip. She is waffling a bit as she rarely dries any of her own clothes and the space above the combo unit has a nice hanging rod. She would loose that. The only clothes she dries are mine because I really don't care one way or the other.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
We looked at the Winslow SDF. Really liked the floor plan but the W/D area seems smaller than our present area in the King of the Road. I would not want an area built any smaller as getting a W/D in that area now is as much of a challenge as I want. I put the Maytag MHWC7500YW Washer in and ordered a Sonya Dryer. Both units have a stainless drum. Had some concern over the dryer being unknown to me but I tell you these units have worked perfect. Had issue with the door switch on Maytag not allowing it to start but I fixed that. I use a skid grip pad on top of the washer and dryer sits on top. The front cross bar would retain any forward movement. We have gone a few thousand miles with all road conditions including gravel roads and these units have not moved at all! We will take a closer look at the next show for space in the SDF but probably will not take these units out of our present rig. Those washers are killers getting in and out.... The dryer is much much easier!
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
I wonder if this would fit in the SDF?

Name:	RV Washer&Dryer.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	70715
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote