Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
water dripping from air-conditioner

The drips is not all the time???
We just got our 2006 Excel 33rse... this our maiden voyage.
Joycelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #2

Your roof A/Cs de-humidify the air as they cool it the water usually runs off across the roof, if your getting drips inside then the first thing to do is lift the A/C unit cover and check to see that the drain holes are not plugged, leaves, nests any thing can be up there.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Welcome to the Excel forum. skip gives some good advice. I have to ask some more questions. Does the water leak only when AC is on? Or is water coming inside from the AC grill anytime? With the AC on do you get water run off from the roof? Since this rig is new to you, I may suggest doing an annual AC service, which would include removing the outside cover, cleaning of the condenser, and removal of the inside chill cover and making sure the 4 thru bolts that retain the AC are snug and not loose. Do not overtighten those bolts. And as skip mentioned checking the drain surrounding the bottom of the AC unit are clean and not plugged. HTHs rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Welcome to the Excel forum. skip gives some good advice. I have to ask some more questions. Does the water leak only when AC is on? Or is water coming inside from the AC grill anytime? With the AC on do you get water run off from the roof? Since this rig is new to you, I may suggest doing an annual AC service, which would include removing the outside cover, cleaning of the condenser, and removal of the inside chill cover and making sure the 4 thru bolts that retain the AC are snug and not loose. Do not overtighten those bolts. And as skip mentioned checking the drain surrounding the bottom of the AC unit are clean and not plugged. HTHs rockin'
Mine did that last summer. I found the condensation was dripping of the wire to the sensor that stick into the grill. I move the wire so it would drip into drain tray. Stopped the drip but bad news is it quite cooling about two months after that and I replaced it. Take grill of bottom and you can see wire and sensor.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #5

I have 2006 33RSO and I had dripping. My problem was that ice was forming on coil and was freezing up air conditioner. My problem was the sensor that fits into coil was bad. I replaced it and have had no problem for 4 or 5 years
lyncjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several causes of drips.

The root of all of them is condensation, the evaporator coils (Cold, indoor coils) condense water out of the air, it drips off into a drip pan and normally from there runs out onto the roof.. i have two different air conditioners, one drips of the rear one off the side.

IF the RV is not properly leveled it is possible for the FRONT of the drip tray to be lower than the drip-lip. You can guess what happens then.

Second, if the indoor air intake filters are dirty a vacuum is built up on the inlet side of the drip try literally SUCKING the water into the intake area and.. Well from there it drips.

Third, the pan could be cracked (Very rare)

I have heard of condensers "Icing up" and when it melts, it misses the pan.

And then there is the seal between the air conditioner and the roof, if it is not in good condition it lets the condensate come right back in.. Does the same for the fallling rain. (Even when AC is off)

How to tell what the problem is.

Well if it's dirty filters, Turning the blower off tends to make NIAGRA FALLS.

If it leaks in in a rain storm even with theA/C off, check the seal.

Other problems can be detected by trying to re-level (you need to inspect to find where YOUR drip lips are first) and by CLEANING the exteriour (rooftop) parts.. NOTE I'm taking INSIDE the rooftop unit.

Oh, "Stuff" (Leaves, alge et-al) can block the drip lip.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
John, the condensers are the hot outside coil normally, unless you are running a heat pump in the winter. On an air conditioner, the inside coil is the evaporator and it is the cold one which operates below the dew point and form the condensation.

Otherwise you are right on.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #8

I had a similar problem on our 2011 Winslow, only it was almost a torrent not a drip. I could set a dishpan in the floor and have a couple of quarts of water in a few hours.
I stopped by Smith Center and they indicated that the gasket that seals the air conditioner to the roof was over tightened. Not sure if that fixed it as we traded up to a Limited while they were going over some fixes on the Winslow.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Looks like we have another "post and run" here. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
check to see that the drain holes are not plugged, leaves, nests any thing can be up there.
Right on!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joycelene View Post
The drips is not all the time???
We just got our 2006 Excel 33rse... this our maiden voyage.
thank you guys I fix the problem it was that I had the unit too far forward I tilted it to the back. I was trying to keep the bathroom door from swinging open I guess I was trying to level it to perfect so now I know since I am a first time user. and I want to thank all of you for your help it was appreciated.
Joycelene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water