Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2007, 04:14 AM   #15
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TTT1953:
I built a similar rig using a Watts pressure regulator. The only difference I did was to put the filter before the regulator. That way it protects the regulator from particulate matter. Also the filter acts as a pressure and flow restrictor so putting the regulator after the filter gives more constant regulation into the camper. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would recommend keeping the regulator before the filter because excessive pressure can burst the filter. I know, it happened in our house and flooded the laundry room. In fact, I agree with Mich_Camper that the regulator should be mounted directly th the campground faucet. That way, not only is the plumbing in your rig protected, but also your entire hose/filter assembly.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2007, 07:49 AM   #16

Excel Owners Club
PAZ

The regulator is in front of the filter so the hose is the only part not protected. I did it this way because the regulator attached to the park's bib has a tendency to disappear. Ask me how I know that.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #17

High G - Understand the disappearing act that regulators have. That is why I did the brazed loop on it. It gives me a lock point!!! I've had items disappear also.

Mich_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:47 PM   #18
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Highgturn:
PAZ

The regulator is in front of the filter so the hose is the only part not protected. I did it this way because the regulator attached to the park's bib has a tendency to disappear. Ask me how I know that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Highgturn - I can see from your photo that the regulator is ahead of the filter. I was referring to the post by TTT1953 that I qouted about putting the filter first to protect the regulator from dirt. I think it's more important to protect the filter from excessive pressure.

You do raise a good point about not putting the regulator on the faucet because of theft. I like Mich_Camper's idea of a loop to use for locking.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #19

Funny...last year, I saw the need on my unit, then made one that looks almost exacty like yours. I took a wally world 1 micronon filter, and some fittings - then tried it out. Worked as planed except for the leaks (many); invested in some plumers tape, and some better fittings (all out of the garden dept), & viola; water filter with no leaks and good presure.
Total cost was 22 bucks or so - not bad considering I went through 3 of those blue filters in the last year since they kept cracking. Used the blue filters for seven years...never had a problem, then went thru 3 in a year, followed by three more the year after...too much $$$.
New filter works better and is highly visable - so I know what I have. For the record - I always use an outsdie filter; even with filtered water at the site.

See ya' on the road,

Sledog

2006 Raptor 3712TS 5th wheel toy-hauler
Sledog is offline   Reply With Quote