Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2006, 02:17 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
As you all know, the standard water pressure regulator that most RVers use is not really a regulator, but rather a restrictor which can allow the pressure to equalize applying line pressure to the coach. I made this accessory out of readily available items from Lows or Home Depot. The Watts regulator is adjustable and will not allow anything above the set pressure to inter your coaches plumbing. The best thing is that there is no restriction of flow. All of the coaches water passes through the 1 micron activated charcoal filter which is also available at Lows, Home Depot, or any other hardware or home improvement store. The mounting bracket which hangs on the slide rail is made out of wood (cedar) and painted flat black. With the two pressure gauges, you can see the goes in and out. Not only is it functional, I think it looks pretty good too. This system will dramatically improve the volume of water flow to your shower over the usual RV restrictor.

Happy Camping.............Camping is 30 Amp service rather than 50.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2006, 02:17 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
As you all know, the standard water pressure regulator that most RVers use is not really a regulator, but rather a restrictor which can allow the pressure to equalize applying line pressure to the coach. I made this accessory out of readily available items from Lows or Home Depot. The Watts regulator is adjustable and will not allow anything above the set pressure to inter your coaches plumbing. The best thing is that there is no restriction of flow. All of the coaches water passes through the 1 micron activated charcoal filter which is also available at Lows, Home Depot, or any other hardware or home improvement store. The mounting bracket which hangs on the slide rail is made out of wood (cedar) and painted flat black. With the two pressure gauges, you can see the goes in and out. Not only is it functional, I think it looks pretty good too. This system will dramatically improve the volume of water flow to your shower over the usual RV restrictor.

Happy Camping.............Camping is 30 Amp service rather than 50.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:03 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

A GREAT modification Bob!

I thought this discussion might benefit owners of other TT and fiver brands,so I've "linked" it to a discussion of after-market issues....

NICE JOB!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:32 AM   #4

Great job, Bob. I have been using the "whole house" regulator for some time now. When I changed out the brass restrictor, I immediately noticed a difference in the flow, especially the shower(flow increased).

An update, I recently 2 gages(one upstream and one downstream of the regulator). This lets me know what the pressure to and from the regulator is.

WGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:22 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Bob. Looks good. I will have to put that on my things to do list.

Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:40 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Maybe Bob will start producing and selling on Ebay! Seriously, great idea/design and something I will pursue this spring. Thanks Bob!
John
Old 12-09-2006, 03:14 PM   #7

We had been using a Watts N35B house water pressure regulator. Water flow was okay.

We just switched to Jumbo Canister filters from The RV Water Filter Store. Boy what a difference. The shower now is like what we used to have in the house.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:30 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Dale & Mark, thanks for visiting our new Excel forum. Great to have fellow HDT'ers come by and take the time to post.
John
Old 12-10-2006, 12:51 PM   #9

Looks great! Well done.
I would consider a hood on the filter to keep sunlight out and discourage algae growth. Either by installing a hood (shade) or changing from a clear canister to a solid color one.
Nice good looking design. Going to copy it.
Thanks,
Bob and Julie
Bob and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #10

That is a nice looking install. I have had a similar regulator at the house for a while, just never bothered to pick uo the required fittings to get it on.We have all the water hook ups in a compartment on the side, and I was hoping to install it inside there, if that doesn't work out I will look into something like you designed.
Larry
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:31 AM   #11

Hi Dale and Mark
Just went on line to the RV water filter store and order the 263A regulator, been looking of something like this for awhile, great idea thanks.
New to here, first message, been trying to put in pictures but not yet. 2006 Jayco 36RLTS. can't wait for spring. Vancouver Canada..
Garry / Jackie and the kids,"dog's" Missy and Bailey..
unclebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:48 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
I stole your design and made one almost identical from the picture. I already had the regulator. Nice job of design.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:29 AM   #13

High G Turn - very nice, compact unit - However, when we were in Butte, Montana, as we walked around the CG, I saw one fellows white hose that had a 6" (well maybe 4") bubble. In checking the pressure, it was above my 100# gage. I don't want to think what that would have done.

I had heard prior to going west that many of the parks i the mountain area had high pressure, and when I talked with the owner, yep that was "normal". No big deal.

I have our regulator hooked up at the hose bib, so that it protects the white hose also. So that the reg stays in place, I disassembled the reg and brazed a solid loop on it so that it could be locked down with a short chain.

Mich_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:49 PM   #14

I built a similar rig using a Watts pressure regulator. The only difference I did was to put the filter before the regulator. That way it protects the regulator from particulate matter. Also the filter acts as a pressure and flow restrictor so putting the regulator after the filter gives more constant regulation into the camper.
TTT1953 is offline   Reply With Quote