RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #1

Water flow problem at kitchen faucet

Hi, I'm only getting a small flow of water at my kitchen faucet (like picture) -- I cleaned the screens at the water inlet (the small washer/screen between handheld and hose) and outlet of the handheld (completely disassembled and cleaned aerator), but no change. Is there anything inside the handheld that can clog; can the handheld be taken apart? Although, with the handheld part off, there doesn't seem to be much flow from the hose. Same low flow in the full range from hot to cold. No leaks. Is there anything in the moen cartridge that could block the flow? Or is there another screen/filter somewhere else in the line? My bathroom faucet, shower, and toilet seem to be flowing fine -- everything on the outside to the Excel is 1/2" or better hose/pipe and I'm reading 48psi on my regulator (1/2" internal, not the 1/4" type). At a loss.... Any ideas?
Thanks!!
Brian
Attached Images

BrianTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Brian,

It would be worth your while to pull out the cartridge and have a look. Sometimes the rubber gasket comes unglued from the stem and slips and plugs, or partially plugs the hole and cuts the flow rate.

Jimmy

Old 05-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy F View Post
Brian,

It would be worth your while to pull out the cartridge and have a look. Sometimes the rubber gasket comes unglued from the stem and slips and plugs, or partially plugs the hole and cuts the flow rate.

Jimmy
Thank you Jimmy. Could that happen without having any 'binding' or friction? (My faucet handle action is smooth as new in every direction.)
Old 05-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, you won't feel any binding or friction. The rubber just slips sideways and blocks the hole. Also, Moen guarantees there faucets for life. If you contact them they will replace the cartridge free of charge.

Jimmy
Old 05-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
I would work backwards. Start by disconnecting the handheld part from the hose and check flow. And keep going backward. Last month I was working on my daughter's kitchen fixture with a handheld. I found the restriction in the flexhose between the base and handheld (and no external leak from hose)....the rubber lining came apart inside the hose. I'm assuming flow is low on both hot and cold. HTHs rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:28 AM   #6

Agree with both prior replies, if you have checked the screens and aerator, checked pressure with handheld off and still have a problem...would look at the cartridge next.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
I had the same problem. I have a Danic faucet and had received a new spray head last year. When you take it off hose and look inside the head part there is a little restrictor at that location. I pulled it out with a little pick and replaced it with one from the other faucet head. It was plugged with granuals from water heater. Now has good flow.
Hermandutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
'bout a year after moving in, my faucet started with the same thing, particularly with low pressure in a park. I found that I must push the button on the spray head, even tho it is spraying. Then the flow increases. I press every time I use the faucet.

The stream option from the button below the head does not work well no matter how hard I push. I get better flow from the spray button.

With your statement "with the handheld part off, there doesn't seem to be much flow from the hose," maybe this doesn't apply.

I took apart the faucet about two years ago. I think I figured the spring inside had lost tension.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same problem. Lookinside the end of the sprayer where the hose goes on for a restrictor. If you have one, take it off and throw it in the garbage. I also found one in the hose, and I took this one out too and threw it away. Problem solved.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #10

replaced cartridge - no improvement

Hi everyone -- thank you for your responses.

I pulled the old cartridge: the o-rings and gaskets were in place and intact, but there was a fair amount of sediment in various spots. With the cartridge out, I had my wife operate the water pump while I made sure the sediment was flushed, then put in a new cartridge and partially reassembled the faucet body.

Without the handheld, the water flow out of the hose is still very low -- doesn't seem to be any improvement.

I was wondering, is the rectangular black plastic box connecting the flexhose to the base unit just a connector, or is there a potential for clogging in there? Is opening that the next step?

Thanks again for your assistance...Brian

(BTW: both hot and cold have the same low flow at that faucet.)
Old 06-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #11

Talking Solved!

Well, I answered my own question...

Yes, there is another backflow restrictor in the flex hose just below the hydrolock.

Two pictures enclosed: 'connection' showing the clogged flexhose restrictor and the clogged black hydrolock connector; plus the 'clog' picture showing what was packed into that area!!!

If it had been salt, I would have had a neat mini-watersoftener. The clog appears to be hard deposits probably originating from the water heater (which I flushed last week).

Flow is back to new

Now just waiting for my wife to get back from the laundry so I can say, "hey, try the kitchen faucet!" (she knows I hate doing plumbing repairs - especially ones inside the coach)

Next time, after flushing the water heater, I think I'll use the bath sink faucet to get rid of air in the lines --- no hydrolock or backflow restrictors there...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	connection.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	4240   Click image for larger version

Name:	clog.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	4241  

Old 06-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
That is the main reason that I run generic white vinegar, (1 gal per 15 gal water-run through all lines-let sit for 4 hrs-then flush with clean water), through my entire system at least in the Spring and sometimes again midway throught the season. It will dissolve an amazing amount of calcium that can accummilate in the fixtures, lines,water heater. I also use one of these Water Heater Tank Rinser - Item - Camping World
Old 06-04-2010, 07:02 AM   #13

Isn't it nice when it's finally fixed !

I getting to the point that I'm never surprised where a repair/maintenance will take you.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Glad you got it fixed.... and thanks for letting us know what the problem was.

Jimmy