Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2008, 04:24 AM   #1

My white plastic 1/2 pipe thread drain plug on my hot water heater sprung a leak so I was replacing it with a galvanized pipe plug when a neighboring camper suggested that it may cause a corrosion problem as they are unlike materials. The female end of the hot water heater may be aluminum, but the galvanized plug would be unlikely to spring a leak like the plastic one did. Is there a recommendation on what type of plug to use? Thanks. Farminatr
Farminatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2008, 04:24 AM   #2

My white plastic 1/2 pipe thread drain plug on my hot water heater sprung a leak so I was replacing it with a galvanized pipe plug when a neighboring camper suggested that it may cause a corrosion problem as they are unlike materials. The female end of the hot water heater may be aluminum, but the galvanized plug would be unlikely to spring a leak like the plastic one did. Is there a recommendation on what type of plug to use? Thanks. Farminatr
Old 07-31-2008, 04:32 AM   #3

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
I would replace it with the OEM from the manufacture. they are not expensive and it is best to keep a spare in your tool box in the M/H
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:01 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I bought a metal "drain" plug when we were not fulltiming. It was then easier to open its valve to drain the tank when we were not using the trailer.

Now, with fulltime use, I went back to the inexspensive plastic plug, and drain and flush the tank about every 4 months.

I have found that my external water softener greatly adds to salt deposits inside the heater, so I flush it more often now.

Doug

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:13 AM   #5

One of the main reasons they use plastic is because of overheating high pressure situations,plastic will blow off,thats in case the pressure relief valve fails. Corrosion with a brass plug has a potential to weld the plug to tank.I keep 3-4 plastic plugs in my tool box along with joint tape.Finger tight then a full turn with a pliers.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:22 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
When we first got our unit the dealer recommended that I replace the plastic plug with a brass plug wrapped with teflon tape. I have also heard of corrosion using unlike metals. I flush our tank every 2 or 3 months and have not had a problem with corrosion in 4 years.

Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:25 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by clspds:
When we first got our unit the dealer recommended that I replace the plastic plug with a brass plug wrapped with teflon tape. I have also heard of corrosion using unlike metals. I flush our tank every 2 or 3 months and have not had a problem with corrosion in 4 years.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Paul said. I use Permetex high performance thread sealer from auto parts store as we like to go real fast! Just teasin' about the later.

Doug,
You are right...there are still deposits with the water softener, but the residue is softer and easier to flush than non softened water deposits. We are FTing and I flush every 3-4 months. The Atwood rep says twice a year is all that's necessary. I get too much "stuff" out of it to let it go that far for me.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:46 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Stay with the OEM plastic plug to avoid problems. They are cheap and a few spares are easy to carry.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:34 PM   #9

Sounds like the consensus is to stay with the plastic. I'll get several when I get to the dealer, but it's about a hundred mile drive there and back and I couldn't do it for a plastic plug with the gas prices today. I have a plastic plug from the local farm store, but it doesn't look to be substantial like the OEM. Thanks again. Farminatr
Old 07-31-2008, 03:50 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
you don't need to drive to an Excel dealer.

Any RV shop will have the plastic plugs

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:28 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Or order it online and pay 8 bucks shipping. That is like 7 mile one-way drive.
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote