Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #1

Can water get into the underbelly insulation from a leak say in the storage area or from in the main living area for that matter? Or is that insulation some how sealed to prevent such an occurrence? If not how would one check their insulation for wetness with an enclosed underbelly and what would be the best way to dry or would it be best to just replace?

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #2

Can water get into the underbelly insulation from a leak say in the storage area or from in the main living area for that matter? Or is that insulation some how sealed to prevent such an occurrence? If not how would one check their insulation for wetness with an enclosed underbelly and what would be the best way to dry or would it be best to just replace?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:16 AM   #3

Max1 I have my access panels open as I type. Doing my home work for the 'Waste System' drawing. Should have done that before starting the drawing.

I will post several photos this evening showing the insulation and a view of the area if you have never seen it.

The insulation is not 'wraped', about 3 inches in depth, there appears to be drain holes in the exterior covering, will varify. Believe that if water is able to enter that area the insulation will get wet. Access through the two access panels underneath the unit.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:13 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I had numerous fresh water leaks in the infancy days of the rig. Basement and electrical room was very wet with water. The water goes down and eventually goes thru the underbelly insulation and onto the ground. I was busy and excited with loading the rig with stuff, so didn't notice for some time (several hours). I finally saw water running out of the belly blanket at it lowest point (blanket is porous). After I fixed the leaks, I left open the doors and set up a couple of fans in the electrical room and ran for a day and night. I simply let the belly blanket self dry. Seems to be OK now. I think that stuff is fairly robust. Maybe if it were older and I had this happen, I'd be more concern.

Wonder what it be like to get a new fiver with no fresh water leaks.......just wondering has anyone ever had one? Leaks seem pretty common. FYI. Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:33 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Maybe if it were older and I had this happen, I'd be more concern. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How much older than dirt can one be?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:15 AM   #6

I would think once the insulation in underbelly gets saturated one would have to almost take it out to dry or replace with new. On one of my leaks I was able to check the insulation through one of the access panels and it was dry "luckily" I have been concerned with other leaks though never checked Maybe that is just one of the down side's of having an enclosed underbelly? Do the + out weigh the -? Probably an individual choice I suppose. Sorry thinking out loud again

Old 04-09-2008, 05:37 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Paul,
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sorry thinking out loud again </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's how we all learn -- my DW thinks I'm talking to myself , little does she know that I'm "thinking out loud"! Idea that I got from Bob, aka 'Highgturn', was to install a water leak detector similar to this one available from Home Depot for about $10. Detector can be separated from the alarm up to 6' or with additional wiring, up to 100' from the detector. Place in your basement and install the alarm in the coach.

Another model for about $13 is this one from Zircon which does not have the remote alarm capability.

The cheaper detector could be easily modified with additional sensors to monitor several areas.
John
Old 04-09-2008, 06:09 AM   #8

I feel that it's a matter of the extent of the water leak. Meaning a flood or dampness in an area. The fiberglass insulation used in the Excel is the same as stick builts. Seen it soaked and had to be replaced and damp and dried out. Accessing it at the time will determine that. Have seen where a roof leak, stick built, dripped straight through the insulation and be dry 6" away. Quess it would depend if it sits in the water/pools and not able to drain away. I have replaced and have dried as a solution.

The undercarriage covering has a fair amount of drain holes. Seems to be in a pattern but ramdon is spacing. Some are 15" to 22" apart but all in lines from left to right. Would guess that if a fair amount of water made it that far....it would drain out and the insulation would be wet between the insulation and underblacket. Depending on how bad, would access and try and dry if possible.

To me, using fans would be my first choice for drying. Fans and ventalion. Having air-conditioning and fans would be a better option, the AC removes the moisture from the air. Not an option for the basement. Find using heat for drying might cause mold/mildew problems if the moisture that remains in the air is not vented/removed.

One of the questions was: can water get into the underbelly as a result of a leak in the storage area. On my unit, the plumbing for the Utility compartment and shower plumbing has complete access to that area, as does the water pump. Flat and open.

Chief, I purchased two of the water alarms, as I have the pump on one side and the Utility/shower on the other...decided for the cost, to cover both sides. So far haven't had or seen evidence of a water problem on this unit. Its all these little things I buy that keeps me from purchasing a larger refrigerator.

If given the choice, I would chose the enclosed undercarriage.

Finally got the photos approved. Sure its all been seen before but can't resist taking pictures.

Hope something helps.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:22 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Chris -- the old proverb, "a picture is worth a thousand words", definitely defines your postings -- I appreciate the detailed explanations and pictures. Makes it easier for my old mind to assimilate
Old 04-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Workshop:
Have seen where a roof leak, stick built, dripped straight through the insulation and be dry 6" away. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Good point Chris.
Thanks for the replies from all and I will maybe promise not to try and think about "What If's " in the future.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Another fabulous production from Chris! Thanks for all the work.

Hope you did some dusting in the belly area! You never know when I'll be back for another inspection (and happy hour! ) You'll want to be ready. You don't want another one of those nasty inspection reports!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #12

Paul,

I and believe everyone makes decisions everyday with 'what if's' and just don't realize it.

When deciding to install the moisture meters in the basement, the 'what if's' made me install one on each side of the unit as my plumbing is split. Also when I was rebuilding the compartment doors, I rebuilt them with the thought of 'what if' moisture somehow got in the inner panels again. Thus the vents in the panels. To me 'what if' is part of the process. When we get to the 'Sky is Fallin' stage...we have gone to far.

Tom,

It waaaaas rather dusty under there but luckly for me the pictures make it look worse. Would rather fail the inspection than dust that area, what a job that would be and I'm a small guy. Hosing it off would be simpler. I want one of those easy projects like replacing panel in doors.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:25 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
I'll 2nd that! Thanks alot for going under and opening up the belly spaces to give us these shots. They are my first look in there. I have a different model but they are problably a good representative sampling of what to expect in there.

I'll definitely be getting at least one of these detectors. Some of my water line fittings "need work."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rockintom:
Another fabulous production from Chris! Thanks for all the work.

Hope you did some dusting in the belly area! You never know when I'll be back for another inspection (and happy hour! ) You'll want to be ready. You don't want another one of those nasty inspection reports! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #14

Have had 2 serious water leaks, on one the pump outlet hose blew off(not tightened at factory)at 42 PSI from city water. Dropped the access panel to let the water run out, took a few hours. Closed panel and drove away. The insulation currently being used will not be harmed by fresh water, given time it will dry out, it is exposed in places inside the mechanical area so circulating air in there is a good idea. Grey or black is, of course, a different story.

Good thing the dogs heard the thing go, went to see what they were raising cain about, water was running out from under the trailer. Probably be serving a life sentence, Barstow doesn't like you to waste water.

2007 Excel RT 30RKE
hotair is offline   Reply With Quote