Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #29

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbontly View Post
Well, the lights are no longer flashing . . . now the awning is running so slow, it stops part way in or out. When I try to hit the button again (either the switch in the basement or the remote) all I hear is a clicking (like a car starter does when the battery is weak). Too much going on this week to do anything about it. Guess I'll give Ralph a call next week.
Always something ain't Glenn?....Like Vaughn (Pete) likes to say "Oh Lord, what's next?"! We need a little more info...try to determine if the running slow is more on the retract or extend cycle. (try this when the motor is cool). If it labors the most on the retract cycle you may have a awning tube spring that's come unwound or broken. That would be my suspiscion...What happens is the motor overheats in your attempt to exercise the awning and it has a internal circuit breaker that opens and all you hear is the "click" when you attempt to work the awning. The little (and very expensive) motor is not very hearty and burns up relatively easy. I have been told by a sharp RV tech....never run the the awning in and out trying to do a durability exercise as the motor will fail. The motor is design to be used on short running time, like a starter motor on an automobile...so be careful...... I speak from experience cause all these things happened on my 2010 Excel (Journey II) and we have the exact same system on our new rigs.

As usual keep us informed on your findings!

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #30

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Hey Rockin, wanna here my awning update? lol

Old 08-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #31

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Hey Rockin, wanna here my awning update? lol
Hell ya....I'm tired of the Elvis crap on the OT thread!!! Fire on chief!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 08-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #32

Excel Owners Club
Well I picked up the rig in Moriarity last Saturday,,, just in time for open house and free lunch! So Ralph gave me a new control board but said it prolly wont matter lol...But Jack from PI was there so I whined to him lol,, boy what a poker face he has. Anyway, I wont get to test it (pending a very specific wind) until the fall NM Excel Club camp out in Colorado the end of September...Stay tuned
Old 08-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #33

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Well I picked up the rig in Moriarity last Saturday,,, just in time for open house and free lunch! So Ralph gave me a new control board but said it prolly wont matter lol...But Jack from PI was there so I whined to him lol,, boy what a poker face he has. Anyway, I wont get to test it (pending a very specific wind) until the fall NM Excel Club camp out in Colorado the end of September...Stay tuned
Oh heck...I thought you had something new to divulge! BTW....what did they have for lunch?
Old 08-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #34

Excel Owners Club
Called Ralph this morning (RV Sales). Based on my description of the problem, he thinks it's a bad motor. I asked if he could repair it this Saturday (the 27th), but he said he has to see if he can get the part before then. I'm afraid to use the awning at all; don't want the motor to crap out when the awning is extended!
gdbontly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #35

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbontly View Post
Called Ralph this morning (RV Sales). Based on my description of the problem, he thinks it's a bad motor. I asked if he could repair it this Saturday (the 27th), but he said he has to see if he can get the part before then. I'm afraid to use the awning at all; don't want the motor to crap out when the awning is extended!
I would most likely agree with Ralph's diagnosis. If I were him I would make sure the spring is PROPERLY wound and doing it's job (he lurks in here from time to time!). As I said before...the motor is the weak link of this system (and the poorly calibrated windsensor -IMHO). Use it sparingly or it will overheat and die. Keep us abreast of the situation so we all learn from your experience Mr. Glenn!!! rockin'
Old 08-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #36

Excel Owners Club
You all know how I feel about this wondefull upgrade option,,,
Old 08-31-2011, 08:19 AM   #37

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Glenn have a great time in Silverton, are you giuys going to Bayfield in Sept? If so see ya there.
Chief, Yes we are actually going to attend our first Excel campout! Since our Silverton trip was such a disaster (details are in our blog), we decided to take another long weekend trip. We'll arrive Friday afternoon (23 Sep) and return to Albuquerque Monday morning (the 26th). Looking forward to meeting you.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #38

Excel Owners Club
Wow Glenn sorry to here about ur tough time in Sliverton. I'm only1.5 hours from Silverton i wish I could have helped some how. We have a great Jeep shop here in Farmington, Brown's Fabrication. Wasnt Ralph and Kathy suppose to be there with ya'll? See ya in Bayfileld, we will be there that whole week.

Bill
Old 09-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #39

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Wow Glenn sorry to here about ur tough time in Sliverton. I'm only1.5 hours from Silverton i wish I could have helped some how. We have a great Jeep shop here in Farmington, Brown's Fabrication. Wasnt Ralph and Kathy suppose to be there with ya'll? See ya in Bayfileld, we will be there that whole week.

Bill
Don't think Ralph and Kathy would have been there; this was a trip with our Jeep Club, the NM 4-Wheelers. It's been a while since I've done any wheelin' in your area. Our club did an overnight trip there just a few months ago, but we weren't able to make it. Great area you have in Chokecherry Canyon!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #40

Excel Owners Club
FIXED, really this time.

Ralph (RV Sales) replaced the awning motor yesterday morning. Awning works like new again. He ordered a replacement motor a couple of weeks ago, but it never came in (back ordered maybe?). So he "stole" one from one of the new units on the lot. Typical of Ralph's "bend over backwards" attitude to help other!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #41

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Glenn for the update. Remember.....use that new motor sparingly! rockin'

Tags
awning