Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc View Post
We started planning for fulltiming several years ago so we would be ready to go when I retired in June. House has been sold for just over a year and our excess belongings are gone. We have a new truck ready and waiting, hitch installed bags packed and ready to go. We ordered our 30 RSO Limited a couple of months ago and we are taking delivery next week. Every just as we had planned until I broke my leg a couple of weeks ago! No driving allowed for awhile so our first destination will be a little closer and we will probably be staying there a little longer than intended. Congratulations on your choice of 5ver and good luck with your purchase.
YEOUCH!!! Well.. everyone said all new owners should stay close to the dealer for awhile when you buy a new rig...
Good Luck on delivery next week and also may your leg mend quickly!

PS.. DId anyoine put a link to the PDI checklist in this thread??

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #30

Excel Owners Club
Just to update, our new Excel 30RSO is scheduled to be done in early November. It won't give us much time for trips this year but will be ready for spring. You never know my hubby may decide its time to retire once it gets here. dmc so sorry to hear about your leg. to be that close to leaving and have that happen would be frustrating. Hope it heals quickly and you can get on the road. You have the model we are waiting on good luck in your travels once they start.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:07 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by janieD View Post
I've put the bug in my husbands ear about the surge protector. We are having the wiring for solar panels put in because we will be adding that. Because we are getting the 30RSO Limited we won't have a washer/dryer which doesn't bother me. I know many of you will think this is too small but part of this move is one to simplify out lives down to what we really need. Even all the memorabilia is being digitized and the originals passed on to other family members. We've sold the house and are living in a small 2 bedroom condo(renting). All the furniture is going to my son who is still in college when we leave. We know how much work we still have to do but I have to say we are embracing the challenges. Thanks for all the great idea and advise. We plan to order our rig within the next two weeks.
A surge protector is a must. Fixed or portable, it doesn't matter. The price of the surge protector is kind of steep, but, price an air conditioner, refridgerator, TV, PC, or maybe all of them could get zapped at the same time. It pays for itself!

One other note: When Linda and I became full timers, we made a pack. If something new comes in, something old has to go. It's a space thing. Right down to undies, new comes in, old goes out. Have fun.

Dave
Indian Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #32

Excel Owners Club
That policy of getting rid of something for something new is something my dh and I are already starting to practice as we still have lots of things to get rid of before we full time it, we certainly don't need to ad to the pile.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:49 PM   #33

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Creek View Post

One other note: When Linda and I became full timers, we made a pack. If something new comes in, something old has to go. It's a space thing. Right down to undies, new comes in, old goes out. Have fun.

Dave
In all actuality I wish I had known that rule for living years ago!: But I forgot to bring the new woman in when I got rid of the old..But I did get new sheets....

Old 09-13-2009, 12:21 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highplains Drifter View Post
In all actuality I wish I had known that rule for living years ago!: But I forgot to bring the new woman in when I got rid of the old..But I did get new sheets....
Ahhhh -but the Sheets are cheaper....
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:23 AM   #35

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Creek View Post
A surge protector is a must. Fixed or portable, it doesn't matter. The price of the surge protector is kind of steep, but, price an air conditioner, refridgerator, TV, PC, or maybe all of them could get zapped at the same time. It pays for itself!

Dave
Amen. Just finished three months hosting in the old part of Fort Stevens State Park in Oregon. 50amp Progressive surge protector tripped every few days there. On the day of departure, I removed the 30-50 dogbone. Plug melted badly enough to throw away. No apparent damage to microwave, refrig, stereo, heat pump, etc. Paid for itself already.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:43 PM   #36

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce and Jenna View Post
Amen. Just finished three months hosting in the old part of Fort Stevens State Park in Oregon. 50amp Progressive surge protector tripped every few days there. On the day of departure, I removed the 30-50 dogbone. Plug melted badly enough to throw away. No apparent damage to microwave, refrig, stereo, heat pump, etc. Paid for itself already.

Bruce, I buy a new 50 to 30 adapter once a year. If one is using it much the right prong always has that burnt look. You are pulling all your power on one side.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #37

Excel Owners Club
Just wondered why a cable/dogbone replacement was necessary? The ends are replacable at a reduced cost. Just a thought. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:53 PM   #38

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Just wondered why a cable/dogbone replacement was necessary? The ends are replacable at a reduced cost. Just a thought. rockin'
You are a penny pincher!!!!! Good one!!!
Old 10-24-2009, 12:03 AM   #39

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhicker View Post
You are a penny pincher!!!!! Good one!!!
You're too kind......I'm a cheap skate.....that why I keep patchin' ol' Journey. Fixed income and all.....wait til' you retire...you'll see!!

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 10-24-2009, 12:12 AM   #40

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
You're too kind......I'm a cheap skate.....that why I keep patchin' ol' Journey. Fixed income and all.....wait til' you retire...you'll see!!

Did you ever think if the prong is burnt that the wire attached to it has been stressed and overloaded? Or do you replace the jumper wire too while you are replacing the prong?
Old 10-24-2009, 02:05 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by janieD View Post
... We were just wondering what options the fulltimers view as essential to their lifestyle. ...
AUTOMATIC DISHWASHER! Some would say washer/dryer, but 99.44% of RV parks and campgrounds have a laundry, and one only needs to do a laundry twice or 3 times a month (but of course, your mileage may vary!).

But, no RV park or campground has a public dishwasher, and we need to do dishes every few days (but again, your mileage may vary!).

And those chintzy, little, counter-top models are just one more piece of %& you have to stow someplace when you want to travel.

AND, I REALLY HATE HAVING TO STAND THERE DOING THE @#$%^& DISHES!
Spiderman of Calgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #42

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhicker View Post
Did you ever think if the prong is burnt that the wire attached to it has been stressed and overloaded? Or do you replace the jumper wire too while you are replacing the prong?
If the wire was compromised.....I would replace the dogbone or cable. However, when our Journey was new, I did repair a broken wire on my #2 yellow (auxillary/backup light). The wire was broken up the umbilical cord (going to the trailer) about 2 foot from the plug in to the Tug. It was a manufacturing defect in the wire. Spliced in and soldered new #6 wire to fix.

Otherwise, I would have had to R&R the front cap of Journey to replace the cord according to Jack at SC. Just glad the break wasn't any further up the line! rockin'