Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
If the wire was compromised.....I would replace the dogbone or cable. However, when my Journey was new, I did repair a broken wire on my #2 yellow (auxilary/backup light). The wire was broken up the umbilical cord about 2 foot. It was a manufacturing defect in the wire. Spliced in and soldered new #6 wire to fix.

Otherwise, I would have had to R&R the front cap to replace the cord according to Jack at SC. Just glad the break wasn't any further up the line. rockin'
Tom brings up an interesting design consideration -- why don't manufacturers route the trailer umbilical cord/wiring through an external channel under the cap to a terminal block/box inside the front storage compartment. This sure would facilitate any maintenance or upgrades? This external channel could be designed in such a way as to not appear tacky or an afterthought..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #44

Excel Owners Club
Chief,
Same question I have. The RVing industry isn't ready for things like that. I asked the same question in my mind. That would add cost to the unit and they are pricey as they are.......we have to keep remembering that most owners of RVs only live in them an average of 27 days a year (according to someone's study I read a while back). If these things were built like us anal folks (mostly workhorse and me).....most folks couldn't afford them. That said, they could do a better job in a lot of areas in quality and workmanship. IMHO rockin'

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:44 AM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Janie,

I'll Try to get this back on topic, not that the current discussion isn't note worthy.

IMHO there are really only three things that are really necessary for a full timer to have and they are not thiings but attitudes

1. One must have a real good sense of adventure to enjoy the FT'ing life style. When we ask other FT'ers why, the answer invariably comes back to wanting the freedom to go and explore new places & meet new people. Seeing mountain foilage change it's colors, riding an ATV, or just visiting with new friends can be a daily experience for us who are fortunate enough to have chosen this great lifestyle.

2. Laughter must be a big part of your life. When FT'ing, one will encouter many situations that will strain the blood pressure or challenge a relatioship. You can be stalled in traffic, have a blow out, park in the wrong RV park space, or take the wrong turn after you've been told otherwise. With each one of these situations, laughter has to be a part. Otherwise you're life on the road may be short lived.

3. We must be willing to share our experiences, inspire others, and give to others without conditions. FT'ing is about getting out and about in thecommunities where you stop for a while. When people ask where we are from and we say we live in a RV, the response is usually "how lucky we are". We are all blessed to be able to live this lifestyle.

That said, things in the RV rig are are just that, things. We all have or unique needs and as you travel and see other rigs you can add or subtract, within reason, what you feel is essential. Some want W/D, others a genset, others solar, others a fireplace, others a double frig, others want maiximum storage and others want a special potato peeler. That's what makes this so great, we're all different but we've chosen the same lifestyle. Enjoy your new rig and congratulations.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #46

Excel Owners Club
Thanks, I think you are right and those attitudes I think are essential for life in general. We've appreciated all the responses as we get ready for life on the road.
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #47

Excel Owners Club
Nice job Tim......you are knatsa** on the money! Couldn't have said it better! I'm saving this bit of advise and pull it out of the glove box next time we have a breakdown!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Janie,
Marilyn and I wish you the best during your RV'ing adventures -- meeting new people and traveling throughout this beautiful country will bring everlasting memories and friendships. We'll always be semi-fulltimers as we will keep our stik house -- my dear wife's nest for our winter years.

Maybe our paths will cross in the future.

Mark Twain:
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do... Explore. Dream. Discover."