Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
What do the fulltimers view as essential?

Hi,
My husband and I visited the factory in Smith Center last Monday and are ready to order our Excel. We hope to be fulltimers in 1-2 years. We were just wondering what options the fulltimers view as essential to their lifestyle. I realize it is all a matter of opinion but I guess that is what we are looking for is a variety of opinons.
Janie
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by janieD View Post
Hi,
My husband and I visited the factory in Smith Center last Monday and are ready to order our Excel. We hope to be fulltimers in 1-2 years. We were just wondering what options the fulltimers view as essential to their lifestyle. I realize it is all a matter of opinion but I guess that is what we are looking for is a variety of opinons.
Janie
Welcome Janie,

Here's a thread to get you started. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f116/reco...tke-50516.html

Everbody wants different things so it gets down to a personal thing. Hope this helps. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the link

I read through the link and it was very helpful, we had many of the items on people's lists but a couple were definitely things to think about. We did alk to Bryan about wiring for solar and will probably have them do that but after reading we may add wring for a back up camera hadn't thought about that.
Janie
Old 07-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The best option I can think of is a good woman to do most of the work!
Old 07-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
The best option I can think of is a good woman to do most of the work!
I swear I think they have found a way to crosslink these threads without any visible signs!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
My guess - Jim read it in the Recent Threads window on the upper right of the topic. He wrote his reply 19 minutes after the prior one.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:38 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Hi,
We hope to be fulltimers in 1-2 years. We were just wondering what options the fulltimers view as essential to their lifestyle. I realize it is all a matter of opinion but I guess that is what we are looking for is a variety of opinons.
Janie

JamieD, to get this back on subject I’d like to welcome you to the Excel forum and I like you’re choice of fifth wheels!

The biggest option I love is I like the four seasons but now can control how long I want to stay in each season! My biggest essential option is I don’t own any winter clothing anymore.......The link above is quite extensive of most of the options folks have on their rigs....
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:37 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Jim,Already have that - that's me, and
highplainsdrifter, I can't wait to have that option, I am so looking forward to this new adventure in our lives.
Thanks for all the help, I know once we get our rig we will have lots of questions. This is all new to us as we are tent campers now. We love that but know it would be difficult to live out of a tent thus our move to a fifth wheel. We want to have it and live here close to the dealer until we have some of the start up kinks worked out and we feel like we know our rig better before taking off on our full-time adventure. Reading the forum we realize we have quite a learning curve ahead of us but we are up for the challenge and I know where to go with questions. Thanks to all.
janieD
Old 07-17-2009, 06:43 AM   #9

OK, one thing not discussed that we're currently experiencing is the emotions that go along from being a camper to becoming a full timer. Think of moving from one house to another and the stress that generates. Which light switch works what? Where did I put that? Why do I have to push the TV button on the TV remote to get the TV remote to work the TV?

Maintenance: We moved from a 27ft travel trailer to the L36GKE. The L36GKE is significantly more complicated than our old travel trailer. From zero slides to three. Tons of hydraulics. Three or four dozen exterior screws to a gazillion exterior screws. A house on wheels is a house and we're adjusting to the fact that it must be treated as such.

Our transition from a pull being travel trailer with weight distributing bars to a fifth wheel hitch has not been as smooth as we had hoped. Actual towing is great. Hitching and unhitching still shaky. (It's the hitch - not the trailer.)

We just took 28 days to complete a planned 19 day trip from the east coast to YNP. It helped immeasurably in getting use to using the trailer. I'm ready to go, again!

Good luck and enjoy!!!
David
Old 07-18-2009, 05:16 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
.......... We want to have it and live here close to the dealer until we have some of the start up kinks worked out and we feel like we know our rig better before taking off on our full-time adventure. ......
janieD
Janie,
Welcome! You are gonna love your Excel far longer that most people like their new fifthwheel. Wait until the Peterson Team goes beyond customer service and actually delights you the first time! You are in for a treat!

Other than buying an Excel, I think your plan noted above is the smartest decision you have made so far. Two more things, (I did not reread this entire thread so it may have been mentioned) 1) Find one of the pre-delivery checklists and use it. It will take you several hours. Mine took 4 hours. 2) And then, even after you spend a week or two living in the new Excel very close to your dealer, when you make your first trip, make it only a short one...say two weeks and plan to return to the Park closest to your dealer.

This will give you a chance to get MOST of the bugs out before you start the next chapeter of your life. davydee and I think you will be glad you did. He just went through 90% of his debugging on the road.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:48 AM   #11

I bought a surge guard protector for the trailer, too. You may want to consider one, also. Lots of stuff to burn out in the trailer if the campground electrical system is bad. David
Old 07-18-2009, 05:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by davydee View Post
Our transition from a pull being travel trailer with weight distributing bars to a fifth wheel hitch has not been as smooth as we had hoped. Actual towing is great. Hitching and unhitching still shaky. (It's the hitch - not the trailer.)
That was suppose to be "pull behind" vice "pull being". Also, our hitch issue may very well be user code I-D-10-T! We'll find out today... David
Old 07-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davydee View Post
I bought a surge guard protector for the trailer, too. You may want to consider one, also. Lots of stuff to burn out in the trailer if the campground electrical system is bad. David
This is what I went with.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw50c.htm
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
There were two items that were non-negotiable when we were looking for a new fifth wheel: a king size bed and a washer and dryer (not an all-in-one like the Splendide).

We also added solar plus more batteries and a inverter/charger, but we bought all that equipment from AM Solar in Springfield, OR rather than having the factory do it.