Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2007, 07:24 AM   #1

I have created a spreadsheet to try to get my head around prices for new Excels. I have listed the base price and costs for options for Limited line, and I'm comparing MSRP to quoted price from 2 dealers so far. One is ~12% and the other is ~9% discounted. Not knowing the Excel pricing models, is this normal or should I be looking for closer to 20% off MSRP?

DeepDoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2007, 07:24 AM   #2

I have created a spreadsheet to try to get my head around prices for new Excels. I have listed the base price and costs for options for Limited line, and I'm comparing MSRP to quoted price from 2 dealers so far. One is ~12% and the other is ~9% discounted. Not knowing the Excel pricing models, is this normal or should I be looking for closer to 20% off MSRP?

Old 09-22-2007, 08:05 AM   #3

Jim,
From my personal experience ordering one from the factory I would shoot for 20 to 25% off and if its on a dealears lot a while you may even do better than that.
Good Luck.

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:03 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Jim, when we ordered our Excel, the first quote we got from the dealer was around 12% off MSRP. We then quoted a price that was 25% off MSRP. When they said they couldn't sell it for that price, we thanked them and hung up, prepared to purchase another brand we'd seen on another dealer's lot. Later in the day, we received a call back from the salesman offering 20% off MSRP which we accepted.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:04 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
I got close to 26% off, but the unit had been on the dealers lot for a while.

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #6

I just checked my invoice and we were 25.4% off MSRP on a custom ordered rig with all the goodies we wanted .

Old 09-22-2007, 06:26 PM   #7

Woo Hoo! I guess I'll take a page from LindaH's book and shoot for 30% then hope they call me back with 25!

Old 09-22-2007, 10:09 PM   #8

Jim,
What floor plan/model are you looking at?

Old 09-23-2007, 03:30 AM   #9

I'm going through phases right now. The first phase was L33TKE and F-350 Tow Boss. Then I found out the TKE sofa only sleeps one comfortably (please let me know if others have found differently) and the dealer suggested that I would be much more comfortable in an L36 model. In the L36's I like the BDE, MKE and TKE. I still haven't seen one, but have an appointment with a dealer 1st weekend in Oct to see his inventory, and possibly a couple he's sold.

If I go the L36 route, I plan to match it with an F-450 with 4.30 to hopefully squeak out a couple more mpg's. I'm not of the school that trys to work its way up from dry weights to how much the hitch weighs and etc., I go from the other end - what's the GVW of the trailer, 20% of that for pin weight, and get a truck to match. While I may not accumulate enough stuff to reach max weight, I know I will try... .

I plan to full time for 4-6 years while I find another stick home somewhere in this fine country. I will work-camp as much as I can, and may find myself anywhere from Nova Scotia in the fall to Phoenix in the summer. I reckon the L36 models will be somewhat more constricting in campground selection, but will th L33 be equally restrictive, or is it a better compromise?

Sorry for the "book", but I find the more I learn, the more questions I have. Any and all advice is hereby solicited

Old 09-23-2007, 05:02 AM   #10

Jim -

Since my wife and I are also presently in the market for a new 5th wheel and a tow truck, we're looking to learn here the same as you, and I can say that your post on dealer discount has been a benefit to me also.

This is getting a bit off track from your initial question regarding dealer discount, but with regard to the bed in the TKE models sleeping only one person - it that's the case and you really prefer that model, why not consider some type of air mattress?

Some friends of ours have one of those large air mattresses that have a battery operated inflator/deflator that is quick and easy to set up and take down in the morning. They're relatively inexpensive, comfortable, and if you'd want to stay with the 33' model, would be much cheaper than the 36' with the F450.

John

p.s. I see you're in MD. My wife and I are from Lancaster County, PA, not far from you. We spend the summer in MT, and are returning to PA this week. There's also a new Excel dealer, Fretz, in Souderton, PA that you might wish to consider contacting if you haven't already done so since they are relatively closeby.
MT flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:43 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
We got 28% MSRP off ordered unit. With an "in and out" deal the dealer doesn't have the cost of "flooring" it. The longer a rig sits on the lot the more it cost the dealer in interest. Expect a bit less discount on units that are on the lot, until they get real old, then he is really ready to get rid of it (odd model or missappointed, etc.).
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:52 AM   #12

John -

Glad you're getting something out of this, too. I will definitely give Fretz a shout. I do need to get several dealers involved with bidding this out. As to off topic, not really. I tend to ramble all around a subject until exhausted. I do have one of those air mattresses you suggested, good idea. The TKE is not off the table by any means, but other floor plans keep knocking my train of thought off the tracks.

Tom -

28% is excellent. You must be a formidable negotiator. I fully expect to special order my unit, since I am spec'ing it fairly well optioned. Have you found there is an optimum time of year to get the best deal? Any good tips? LindaH demonstrated that a willingness to walk away can be effective, anything else?

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I now have a much better idea of where to steer the deal.

I would like to hear from folks with the 33 models as to perceived advantages/disadvantages compared to the 36 models (3-4 ft length difference) as regards long-term liveability and manuverability in campgrounds. Some folks find themselves going bigger and bigger each time they trade up, and others seem ok with the shorter units. I know that will be fairly subjective, but I can filter for my preferences and needs.

Thanks again!

Old 09-23-2007, 06:58 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Max1:
I just checked my invoice and we were 25.4% off MSRP on a custom ordered rig with all the goodies we wanted . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another special order. Looks like a good way to go.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:51 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
JimB,
In all fairness, I knew my RV dealer as I called on him when he was in the auto business. He "knows that I know" what he has in the deal. I want him to make money, but not get rich off me. I explained that he give me 1 price and we won't negotiate. Get to the bottom line fast. The first and only figure was the one.

As far as lengths go, we would go to the 33ft verses our current 35ft. due to weight factors and TV situation. My bride and I could live in a 33ft with no problem. We have had a hard time getting into some park (especially in the NE and Canada with our 35ft). We will be one of the folks that go down in size.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote