Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #1653

We are about to head to South Padre Island from Austin next week. Taking the Excel out for a quick run! We will be down there for 5 days celebrating my big 5-0! LOL. Another couple is going with us and they are taking a T@B. So I am guessing we will be spending most of the time in ours LOL.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2017, 07:31 PM   #1654

Excel Owners Club
Love SPI...spent some spring breaks down there in the 70's. OMG!!! Playing golf on the beach and a keg of beer! "Hippies traded dope for cups of beer. Oh yes, those were the days. I think I'm payin' for it now, so says my body!!! Ya'll have fun, Ya hear? May want to stop by some of the joints on the BBQ trail. Man, that's good stuff. I remember my big 5-0......my honey bought me a Mexican Riviera Royal Caribbean Cruise to Mexico. Fantastic!!!! Hope you birthday is the best yet.

PS...we were in Driftwood a few months ago eating at Salt Lick BBQ. Oh yum!!!! We also like several of your places near or in Austin.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:09 PM   #1655

Excel Owners Club
OK, so we are on the road again! Headed to Ukiah, CA to visit the daughter and GD. Will spend about 8 days there and then we'll head slowly to Portland, OR for the balance of the summer. Yesterday we spent the afternoon and evening in Bakersfield, CA where it was 115*F at 5PM. Rig was 96*F inside when we pulled in. Quite a mess cooling it down with one AC. It finally shut off a 1:45 AM Holy Cow!!! The weather was much nicer to us today.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 06-27-2017, 07:33 AM   #1656
JDT

Tom, we are in Estes Park, Co. Having to run the heater every morning but afternoons require some open windows. I can't tell you how exhausting making that transition everyday is but we are managing.

Taking our first hike tomorrow morning. Hope we are up for it. Take care and enjoy that granddaughter. They are special.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:10 AM   #1657

We had that in dodge city ks, years ago.back windows to the west and 114 in the shade. We hid out in fast-food place for long time. We have two extra fans and put one up by bed and slept with head at foot of bed so we would be "out of the hole". We still talk about that. That fan in bedroom has helped a lot over the years.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #1658

Excel Owners Club
I am glad I choose to go with two A/Cs. I used a heat gain calculator for a S&B home and determined one A/C would handle normal cooling. But after traveling several hours in hot weather or during extreme heat, one A/C would have difficulty eliminating the stored heat of traveling or maintaining a set temperature in extreme heat.

Last year after driving in near 100 degree Texas heat for 8 hours, stopped in Dalhart, TX for an overnight stay. The temperature in the trailer was in the mid 90s. With both A/Cs running, the trailer cooled down in a little over an hour, then maintained the temperature setting of 70 with one A/C and occasional support from the bedroom A/C.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:23 PM   #1659

Excel Owners Club
Yeah I hear ya Carl, In our 13 years of doing this lifestyle, we've gotten caught twice in weather that I felt we needed 2 A/Cs. Not bad, but I hope it doesn't happen again!!!
Old 06-28-2017, 03:20 PM   #1660

Excel Owners Club
I guess I've become spoiled in my old age, Rockin'. I like to be comfortable and stress free. I'm one of those people that would rather have something and not need it, then to need it and not have it. Like a 4x4 vehicle that rarely leaves the hardtop road.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:12 PM   #1661

Excel Owners Club
Well we made to Portland, OR today. Here it is 68*F today with a lite breeze. Lovely! We'll prolly stay here until we sale the rig.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:58 AM   #1662

Excel Owners Club
We are at Buckhorn Lake Resort in sunny, rainy Kerrville, TX. Here for a week to escape the DFW heat. The day after we left, the DFW temp drops 15 degrees. Go figure. Temperature has moderated here a bit also. Not too bad. Took awhile to get logged in to the EXCEL forum. After entering ID and password, it would display the thank you/redirect screen then display EXCEL forum page with log in button, AKA not logged in. Tried every trick I know but couldn't get logged in. Finally, just out of curiosity, I clicked the "remember me" box in the log in screen and it worked. Not to repeat myself, but "Go figure." Will see if it works the next time I log in.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #1663

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the update Carl. Love Buckhorn Lake. Great place. Their beer in their convenience store is a bit spendy.....but darn convenient!!!!

If the logon issue would have happened to me......I'd figured they had finally caught up with me and had banned me for life!!!! Ha.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #1664

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
Took awhile to get logged in to the EXCEL forum. After entering ID and password, it would display the thank you/redirect screen then display EXCEL forum page with log in button, AKA not logged in. Tried every trick I know but couldn't get logged in. Finally, just out of curiosity, I clicked the "remember me" box in the log in screen and it worked. Not to repeat myself, but "Go figure." Will see if it works the next time I log in.
Tried to log in this morning without clicking the "remember me" box, they didn't remember me. Couldn't log in. Tried again clicking the "remember me" box, logged in. Once again, "go figure." Did I ever mention, "I hate computers." After 16 years in IT, late career start, I quit corporate America and retired. My work in IT paid for our EXCEL, but I still hate computers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Thanks for the update Carl. Love Buckhorn Lake. Great place. Their beer in their convenience store is a bit spendy.....but darn convenient!!!!

If the logon issue would have happened to me......I'd figured they had finally caught up with me and had banned me for life!!!! Ha.
Rockin', one universal truth, nothing is cheap when connected in any way to the RV life. However, most RV places I frequent are small businesses and I don't mind paying a little extra to support the small business people, unless of course if they are rude, obnoxious, and excessively greedy. However, I rarely encounter them.

To add to your convenient comment, convenience does have an intangible value.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #1665

Excel Owners Club
Going to Kerrville to escape the DFW heat is like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #1666

Excel Owners Club
Yeah Carl, I'm a bit of cheapskate, but getting better. I'm one of these, coupon clippers, price check everything, and etc. Then go out and spend $175 on drinks and dinner......I can justify it because "I save so much throughout the day!" Ha.

What cracks me up is the people on some of these forums saying they live on $35,000 a year on the road! Ha. Our goal when we started out 13 years ago set by our financial planner was $59,500. a year limit. That ain't never happened and we workcamped 7 summers for site and electric (and some other benees). We came close the second year out.....but 2 years ago it was slightly over $100,000. Anyway that's the way it goes. I'd hate to see what we'd do, if I relaxed and just cut loose!

Tags
excel, heartland, member location