Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2008, 06:23 AM   #29

Excel Owners Club
We are thinking about a Splendide W/D combo this summer. I will do the install as our rig is all set except for the vent. I have measured and I will have to remove the door to the enclosed bath and the closet doors to install. Has anybody here cut a hole for the vent. I assume that I will have to use a hole saw. Was wondering if the sidewalls crack or chip when making the cut. Any tips for cutting through the Gel Coat sides?

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #30

Don't have a W/D in our unit, haven't installed one yet....not on the road enought to justify at this time. With that said, haven't seen where the exhaust vents are mounted on the exterior wall, height wise, and what type of RV vents are available. When Linda had her vent problem last year, cleaning the vent was a problem and should be taken into consideration as to type installed. With that said. I looked at the Spendide site and the only thing they said about the vent was to angle it down and away from the dryer. Which might place it about head high outside.

Like You I have the enclosed bath. Plumbing on the left and I have a rather large access panel on the bottom of the rear wall. Looked inside some time ago and there wasn't anything in it, so not sure what the purpose is. If you have the rear panel, might open it up to see where the wall studs are so you will miss them.

I haven't had to cut that size hole in the side wall. Have drilled a 2 1/8" and lots of 1 1/8" when working on the compartment doors. Assume the HOLE SAW BIT you were referring to was one of these in the correct size.

The exterior wall is not very thick, PI's CRAFTSMANSHIP page gives you an example and look. I had no trouble drilling into the fiberglass and shouldn't worry about cracking the siding as it is thick enough between the glass and backer to do fine. The one thing I would be aware of is possible kick back when starting the cut. Larger bits act differently than the smaller ones and shouldn't present a problem if aware of it.

Tape the siding beyound the cut area, mark your center hole and use the bit, pilot, to drill your center first. Should use caution when starting the 'hole' cut as it could have a little kick when it starts. I usually start off at a slight angle to start the cut that way not using the full 'teeth' to make initial bite. As the wall material isn't thick, use light pressure.

Hope something helped.
Chris
Old 05-30-2008, 11:47 AM   #31

Excel Owners Club
Chris,

Thanks for the input. I believe you and I are on the same page. I have removed the access panel you mentioned and I too found nothing but insulation.

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:42 AM   #32

Our ancient 1999 RGO came with a Sears washer and dryer installed. They are separate units and look to be 3/4 sized units. We are very happy with them. The dryer is mounted on the wall above the top loading washer with enough room to for the lid to raise fully open. The vent goes directly outside with no twists, turns or jogs so there isn't a problem with lint getting caught in the tube. We have had to replace the outside flapper portion because one of the flaps broke. Went to Lowes & found one the same size & installed with no problems. I did have to replace the washer because some fool (Me) plugged into 50A without shutting off the C/B and torched the circuit board. The doors did have to come off, but there were no problems there. There is a pan installed under it which I think is a "must have". Otherwise it would be sitting on carpet. If you're full timing, it sure saves sitting around coin laundrys looking at outdated bulletin boards. And....you always know what has been the washer.

Texan by choice. (even before Escapees)....... Not by chance.
P3 guy is offline   Reply With Quote