Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #1

As not to take over 'jbfrazier' Welcome, I decide, with Jim's permission, to post several pictures of his project.

Jim wrote:

I'm finding the amount of overlap of the window frame to the outside wall surface to be presenting a challenge to say the least! Several of the corners only overlap by 1/16" to 1/8" of an inch over the outer wall surface, while the sides, top and bottom overlap by 3/8" to 1/2". This presents a real challenge to get them back into the unit with sufficient surface area to adequately seal. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.

One reason for doing this Post is because I have a similar problem with a window on the slide room that I just repaired and after consideration, believe it could have caused part of the water damage to the side wall and floor. It's possible that others could have this situation also.

As this Forum is a place to share and exchange information, I felt that others should be aware of a potential maintenance issue before it becomes a repair one.

The issue at hand is the size of the opening the window is installed into. The side wall provides good overlap and has adequate support. The corners or radius, I feel are too large and because of no backer in the corner, provides little support or protection because of the relationship between the edge of the window frame and the edge of the fiberglass. I noticed on Jim's windows, a 2004 model that his are caulked 90% at the frame's edge for most of the surface, mine a 2001 was only caulked on top and a 1/4 way down the window. That will change.

I don't know if current models have the same issue with the radius/corner cuts or if the templates or computer control of the router, if used, has the same setup. But believe that could be check and make corrections if possible or necessary. I use routers, templates and pattern bits in my work and hobby all the time and it's a great tool and time saver. Also believe that this isn't an issue that PI has alone and is possibly an industry issues as well.

It can be said that after 7 years on my unit, this is the first time this issue has created a problem that I am aware of. Unfortunately I had water damage below this window. After inspecting the others, have not noticed the same condition as is shown in the one photo of my window. Without the comment from Jim, I wouldn't have looked a second time at that window, only thinking it was a scratch in the fiberglass caused by caulk removal or .......

As with lag screws, general caulking and the multitude of other things we look at and inspected on our rigs...,this is just another item we should be aware of and add to the list if you think it's important enough.

Jim's radius/corners pictures.

Don't know if they are all from the same window, its possible that the windows could/might be positioned for a better fit...but we have what is installed at the time.

Without my window removed, this is what I visualize my corner fit being.

My window corner/radius and slit.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #2

As not to take over 'jbfrazier' Welcome, I decide, with Jim's permission, to post several pictures of his project.

Jim wrote:

I'm finding the amount of overlap of the window frame to the outside wall surface to be presenting a challenge to say the least! Several of the corners only overlap by 1/16" to 1/8" of an inch over the outer wall surface, while the sides, top and bottom overlap by 3/8" to 1/2". This presents a real challenge to get them back into the unit with sufficient surface area to adequately seal. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.

One reason for doing this Post is because I have a similar problem with a window on the slide room that I just repaired and after consideration, believe it could have caused part of the water damage to the side wall and floor. It's possible that others could have this situation also.

As this Forum is a place to share and exchange information, I felt that others should be aware of a potential maintenance issue before it becomes a repair one.

The issue at hand is the size of the opening the window is installed into. The side wall provides good overlap and has adequate support. The corners or radius, I feel are too large and because of no backer in the corner, provides little support or protection because of the relationship between the edge of the window frame and the edge of the fiberglass. I noticed on Jim's windows, a 2004 model that his are caulked 90% at the frame's edge for most of the surface, mine a 2001 was only caulked on top and a 1/4 way down the window. That will change.

I don't know if current models have the same issue with the radius/corner cuts or if the templates or computer control of the router, if used, has the same setup. But believe that could be check and make corrections if possible or necessary. I use routers, templates and pattern bits in my work and hobby all the time and it's a great tool and time saver. Also believe that this isn't an issue that PI has alone and is possibly an industry issues as well.

It can be said that after 7 years on my unit, this is the first time this issue has created a problem that I am aware of. Unfortunately I had water damage below this window. After inspecting the others, have not noticed the same condition as is shown in the one photo of my window. Without the comment from Jim, I wouldn't have looked a second time at that window, only thinking it was a scratch in the fiberglass caused by caulk removal or .......

As with lag screws, general caulking and the multitude of other things we look at and inspected on our rigs...,this is just another item we should be aware of and add to the list if you think it's important enough.

Jim's radius/corners pictures.

Don't know if they are all from the same window, its possible that the windows could/might be positioned for a better fit...but we have what is installed at the time.

Without my window removed, this is what I visualize my corner fit being.

My window corner/radius and slit.