Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #1

Has anyone else experienced problems with the day/night shades? I've already had 3 of them repaired and now another two will not work, so they stay down all the time. I've tried tightening the cords with no luck. Any advice?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #2

Has anyone else experienced problems with the day/night shades? I've already had 3 of them repaired and now another two will not work, so they stay down all the time. I've tried tightening the cords with no luck. Any advice?
Old 01-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
huh???
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 2goldens:
Has anyone else experienced problems with the day/night shades? I've already had 3 of them repaired and now another two will not work, so they stay down all the time. I've tried tightening the cords with no luck. Any advice? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi 2goldens,
For us to help you, you'll have to be more specific of what the problem is....doesn't work is a broad statement. Will they not move by hand...or fall down by themselves, or just stick or bind on one side. I've rebuilt 3 of mine and when you get inside of these things, it is amazing they work as good as they do and last as long as they do....IMHO! So tell us what's happening and maybe we can guide you in the right direction.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have had the day/night shade since 1999 and never had an issue with them. Are thay making them cheaper than they were?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:54 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Tom,

Seeing as you are the X-pert on shades or shady things, maybe you can enlighten me. I repaired a window shade one time but I think I didn't finish properly.

Everything worked fine except that the bottom part didn't have the friction it should have and would not come down equally, one side would come down more than the other side depending on where you pulled the shade.

Here is the question finally, when restringing do you have to come out of each side and crossover to the other on the bottom bracket. I did that on the top but not the bottom so even though it would stay up when you went to pull it down it skewed to one side or the other and that was the only thing I could think of.
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:18 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
The short answer is yes....it crosses over at the bottom too! Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 01-16-2008, 05:28 AM   #8

It's always good following Tom, we don't have to work as hard.

Here's a couple of links for general info:
Adjustment and Repair
Service Tips
Use and Care

Hope something helped.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:51 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Chris,

Those links are great. Thanks. Many refer to needing a threading needle. I never saw the reason why. I just use a lighter and lightly melt the string end to make a smooth point and feed it right thru the shades! I guess if I used a needle I would take a chance of sticking myself!! Tom
Old 01-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #10

What's wrong, is that one side comes down crooked and rips the white shade. And, I am very careful putting up and down because of all the trouble I've had. I think the old venetian blinds work a lot better. Especially the one over the table. To try and lean over the table and equally pull up is very tough to do! I will look at the links, but it is a pain to keep fixing these. Just saying
Old 01-16-2008, 06:57 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Sounds like maybe the string is starting to fray. This happens at the beginning of failure. Look at the string as it goes thru the shades and look for a "swollen" looking string. If so it needs to be restrung. That's all I can think of right now! Tom