Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #1

Winslow 37IKE/37IKF

Let me start by saying we are in the process of selling our house and upgrading our current unit to a full time unit. We have pretty much narrowed down our search to a Mobile Suites or the two Winslow floor plans listed in the title of my post. I have been in contact with three different DRV dealers and have sent them a list of the options and custom things we would want and have gotten prices back from all of them in the 31% to 33% off the DRV MSRP sheet which I feel are good prices for what we want.

Now my question, can anyone give me any good Excel dealers to work with on obtaining similar pricing on an Winslow? I built a 37IKE on the excel web site and got prices back from two of the closest Excel dealers to us (we are in the Austin, Tx. area) which of course showed MSRP. When I responded back and asked if they could order us a Winslow built the way we wanted and sell at 30% to 32% off MSRP they never responded which I take as a no. So can anyone give me the names of any Excel dealers that will deal like the DRV dealers will on a custom ordered Winslow? I do not mind driving for the right deal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #2

we have recently bought the 37IKE and really enjoying our first year out. We also looked at the DRV units as well but for several reasons choose the Excel. Went to the factory in June and saw all that I needed to make that choice. First off the Excel uses a much heavier box frame. Its a good 1/4" thick where as the DRV is much thinner. If you are going to pull around the country over the "smooth" roads, you need to think about strength in the frame work. The coach is not light by no means and is solidly built. Try Bennetts in Grandbury or Moriatry in New Mexico. Try going up to the factory and talk to Bryant. Also suggest looking on RV trader as several dealers may have what you are looking for.
excel2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #3

excel2014, I have been in contact with Bennetts this morning thanks to drfife. Could I ask you if your 37IKE came with 7k axles or 8k? I would like 8k axles but did not see them listed on the option sheet I got from Bennetts. Unless they are part of the disc brake/17.5" option. The Excel web site is very hard for me to find information like that. I finally found insulation values but not for the slide outs.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Keith, contact Bryan at Peterson Industries.

He can answer your questions regarding options and upgrades.

You will find him to be very helpful and a wealth of knowledge.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #5

Russell, thanks again. I sent him an email a little while ago so I may not hear back until Monday.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
JDT

Since you asked about pricing I will give it a shot. You will find some brands that will have a higher percentage discount from dealers because of how the MSRP is done. Some builders inflate the MSRP so the big discounts can be given. Excel doesn't do it that way, or at least didn't when we bought ours last year. My advice is to get the best prices on both units then compare what you are getting for the money. We found our Winslow to be very competitively priced when comparing the bottom line with some other brands we were considering.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
The 8000 LBS axels come with the disc brakes and the 17.5 inch tires.
We ordered our coach from Gary at Bennett's and they was good.
happy tails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Since you asked about pricing I will give it a shot. You will find some brands that will have a higher percentage discount from dealers because of how the MSRP is done. Some builders inflate the MSRP so the big discounts can be given. Excel doesn't do it that way, or at least didn't when we bought ours last year. My advice is to get the best prices on both units then compare what you are getting for the money. We found our Winslow to be very competitively priced when comparing the bottom line with some other brands we were considering.
2nd this.

This was brought a year or two ago and this the way PI prices their fifth wheels to their dealers.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I have disc brakes and 17.5" wheels on my 34iKE. My axles are 7K.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
I have disc brakes and 17.5" wheels on my 34iKE. My axles are 7K.
Times 2
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:00 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Okay I stand corrected we have the mor ride also on ours
Old 12-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
We used Bennett's RV in Granbury Texas. Our salesman was Gary Whitworth. Phone number 817-279-6264.
A word of caution. We also looked at DRV. We found that on the same Mobile Suites unit, the MSRP varied, and our trades were wholesaled out. We were told that on DRV, the dealers have the capability of changing (or adjusting) the MSRP to make what they want on the unit. Whereas Excel's prices were "locked in" and the price is what it is. We also found we could get more bells and whistles for the same bucks as the Mobile Suites. Don't settle! Get all you want in whichever unit you choose. There are more DRV dealers (service consideration) than Excel for faster, quicker service issues. We chose our Limited because I could make the changes I wanted, prettier coach and a better price for our budget. Also, since we have kids and grand babies in PA, we wanted to go home for Christmas, and Excel is the ONLY brand with a minus 10 degree (unit won't freeze up as long as furnace is working) that is in writing. Currently, we are in East Texas with an outside temp of 30, inside temp of 69 with our hardwood floors and are quite toasty. We do have our fireplace on and we feel quite snug and cozy in our home.
Good luck!
Old 12-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #13

Hunter11 Our coach has the 7K axles with the 17.5 inch tires and disc brakes. I talked with bryon on this prior to purchase and he indicated that you really don't need the 8K. I'm sure he will sell you what you want but I found him to be quite honest with his answers. I also asked about the Morride IS system and he said you really don't need this either. Just adds to the overall cost and he will sell you whatever you want or think you need, just depends how deep your pockets are. Onbly thing that I should have had excel install was the spray system for the gray tank. Have your coach prewired for solar and I had them install a magnum 2800 true sine wave inverter. I feel that it works better for the electronics as well as the remote read out.
excel2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #14

Just thought I would respond back on the axle question on the 37IKE. Below is a reponse I got from the dealer this morning.

The 37IKE has 8,000 lb axles as standard equipment. However with the standard 16” tires & wheels the total capacity is diminished to 7,500# per axle. When you go to the Optional 17.5” tires & wheels then you have the maximum capacity of 8,000# per axle.