Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Clubs & Associations > Newmar Kountry Klub (NKK)
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Building NKK Membership

Jim & Sue:

(See last post under "How Many NKK'rs")

After ya read the thing under General Disscussion, which I mention in the "How Many NKK'rs" post, I'm becoming convinced that a (if not THE) major factor in attracting any RV'r to an owner's group is that group's ability to offer the prospective member an excellent source for obtaining "RIG SUPPORT."

This belief doen't just stem from these few iRV2 posts I refer to, but also from info obtained time and again from a number of other forums I've participated in.

In short,....if ya want to generate NKK membership, let's figure a way to offer members an enhanced/accelerated RIG SUPPORT (Svc./Parts/Info) FEATURE of the NKK. It'll be big draw. Ya think??

P.S. I'm not saying it should be the ONLY feature of the Klub, but a major one.

Steve & Lynette
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Steve & Lynette, Jim & Sue,

There is a broad number of items that the Klub can do to increase membership.

1. What Steve mentioned is accurate from my experience. However, in addition:
1a. The current members (mostly more mature in age with large DPs) may not be the future of new members for the Klub.
1b. What kinds of coaches has Newmar been selling for the last 2 years?
1c. Does the NKK serve the target market that is buying the majority of new coaches? An example is,,,, if Newmar is selling Canyon Star toy haulers as fast as they can make them, do NKK chapters and events serve the buyer of a toy hauler coach?

2. NKK Special Events - Do NKK Special Events serve the target market of the membership and those the Klub is trying to attract as new members?
Are the number of special events on the rise or decline? Does having Special Events that are packed with activities the only agenda permissible? Could other Special Event agendas be more attractive to Klub members that are not attending the events now?

3. Hard definable benefits - these are benefits that can be listed in a member brochure. Discounts on services Newmar owners need. While many of these benefits are "sleeves out of the vest" for the vendor, they do represent value to the Klub member. Compare the NKK list of benefits to the FMCA or Good Sam list. In this case, I do not believe size matters. If someone had this as their responsibility, the list would expand and be competitive.

4. Should Newmar offer a service labor discount to NKK members, year around?

5. Should Newmar offer a real and definable discount on parts purchased by NKK members? Just a couple of months ago I purchased parts at the Newmar facility. I was told the NKK discount was already figured into the price of the part. That did not sit well with me. Anybody that purchases parts at the Newmar facility now pays the same price.

6. The NKK membership contains a significant amount of skill that could benefit the Klub. The Klub leadership does not use this talent. Volunteering plays an important roll for members to feel like family. If a member does not hold an office at some level, their skills are ignored.

7. Do rallies at the National, Regional and State level provide the agenda that would attract new members to the Klub. Over the last 5 years these rallies do attract couples who own large DPs. Those numbers seem to be dwindling.

8. The Internet is a tool that will attract new members. Klub site content needs to be current and dynamic. Current content brings members to the Klub site more than any other feature. Before appointing members to positions in the Klub, focus on keeping the Klub site current and dynamic should be discussed with the applicant. Those holding office who do not keep content current should be reevaluated as to their value in the office.

For me, it is time for the Klub leadership to break with the tried and true processes that attract the mature owners of large DPs. I'm talking evolution not revolution. I'd like to see some movement on the above mentioned topics. This will take skilled research and may include members of the Klub who do not hold an official office but have skill in the area needed to provide new and meaningful growth.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up NKK

The Salesperson never told us anything about the NKK. Found out on the Internet, if I'm not mistaken here on iRV2. It's a good starting point, that NEWMAR put the NKK Sticker inside the Motorhome now. So - that Buyers of a used unit see something about the NKK down the road.
I see lots more FMCA plates on Motorhomes. Maybe that would be a way to go with new members. Give a plaque with the first membership.

RVgreetings
TW

How about some NKK clips on UTUBE.COM
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:28 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
As the Newmar Leadership is completing it's trip to the dealers, they could also ask those dealers who go to RV shows to allow a small area within their display for the NKK to talk to people who are looking at the Newmars. Yes, I know booths have been at RV shows in the past, but I have never seen one.
In about 10 weeks the Tampa Super RV Show will take place from Jan, 11-16, 2011. This type of show is a perfect place as there are many owners of Newmar products that coming looking at the New RV's.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:51 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
At the Tampa show, for the last 2 years, there has been a "booth" for the NKK at the entrance to the North Trail display of Newmar coaches. I anticipate the same location will be available in January 2011.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Gary has hit the nail on the head!

As one can tell by our FMCA number we have been members of FMCA for a considerable amount of time. When we were new to FMCA, in our early 40's, FMCA was not, and still is not for members in that age group. Although we have not attended an "Official" NKK event to date, from looking at flyers and news letters I suspect that NKK is much like FMCA. RV'ers in this age group should be who we are targeting for membership. Why haven't we attended, simply because most events are mid week, with a working wife she has to use vacation time to attend, when we both worked both had to take vacation. As Gary said we need to schedule our activities that support our current membership, but make sure it is also attractive to the market we are trying to recruit our membership from. We need to work hard by going out of our way to make new members welcome and part of the group, after all thier participation is the future of the Klub.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:00 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spike:

Ya know, you're right!! But...how the dickens would an owners group (like NKK, or any other such group) go about attracting membership and participation from such a target group (ie., 40's or 50's, still employed, etc.)???

Whether some get together event is planned for a weekend or not, probably isn't as important to retired (and therefore more flexible) members, as it is to owners still working, but, if you ARE still working, what would motivate those still working owners to attend some owner group event??

Your comment about having to work hard to go out of our way to make new members feel welcome since they are the future of such a club, is SPOT ON!! The question is... WHAT might be done in this regard?? Our NKK group IS VERY interested in exploring various suggestions. Have ya got some suggestions??? We need em!!

Thanks.

Steve & Lynette
Old 10-31-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Remember that the NKK is funded and ultimately controlled by Newmar, so convincing the NKK brass to make any change is only part of the task.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:08 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dirk,
You are correct. However, convincing the NKK brass is the first step. To this date, that has no been easy. We have a new ID. Let us see what he does and the path he takes.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:40 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Steve,
To address your last post:
" But...how the dickens would an owners group (like NKK, or any other such group) go but, if you ARE still working, what would motivate those still working owners to attend some owner group event??
"if you ARE still working, what would motivate those still working owners to attend some owner group event??"
This requires the knowledge of what Newmar has been selling a lot of. Then having permission to contact via letter or email the owners. Asking them for permission to have a dialog with them about their use of their coach. Once a trend is established an event(s) can be schedule. A simple example is Canyon Star toy haulers. If it is determined many have families that ride their toys in the wilderness, the Klub would need to understand what would a rally catered to those who ride off road vehicles should contain. Advice and council would be needed, by organizations that have the knowledge all along the way to creating a rally. Partnering with an organization (a leader in the industry) may be the best way to do this. It is like the Balloon Fiesta or the Tampa Super show. The NKK partners with the people who put on these events.

Your comment about having to work hard to go out of our way to make new members feel welcome since they are the future of such a club, is SPOT ON!! The question is... WHAT might be done in this regard?? Our NKK group IS VERY interested in exploring various suggestions.
In one of the Newmar Konnection magazine issues, Jim Hagedon, NKK Member At Large, authored an article on how to go out of the way to attract new members. A chapter can start with the suggestions in this article and alter it to suit their needs.

My apologies, I can not find the article. Maybe Jim can post the information here.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Gary & Dirk:

In your posts of yesterday (#8 and#9 above), you mentioned that ..."convincing the NKK brass to make any change"...etc. and that ...."to date, that has no (not) been easy."....etc.

What "change" are you talking about?? Are you saying that the Newmar NKK initiative does NOT encourage members of the NKK to figure out various ways of attracting and building NKK membership??? Guess I don't understand.

Steve & Lynette
Old 11-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Steve,
The NKK is owned by Newmar Corp. It is also subsidized by Newmar Corp. The bottom line is the Klub is part of Newmar Corp. My assumption is it is part of the marketing organization. Newmar Corp is a privately held company. The NKK has been around a long time. Starting at the top, the NKK:

1. Board of Directors (BOD) consists of Newmar Corp executives, the appointed International Director (ID), appointed by the BOD, and the Member at Large (MAL) elected by the members of the NKK. The ID and MAL positions have, most of the time, been filled by folks who have the maturity (age) and Klub longevity that allow them to make their positions known, before they are appointed or elected.

2. Region Directors (RD) are appointed by the the ID, with the approval of the BOD.

3. State Directors are appointed by the RD with the approval of the ID.

4. Chapter Officers are elected by chapter members.

This kind of tells one that the status quo will be maintained. Those on the top play a significant role in placing people in the organization. It may be difficult to bring fresh ideas and energy into the organization structure.

Not knowing what takes up the time of the BOD members, or the direction and details they decide upon which govern the operations of the Klub it is not right to be critical when suggestions are ignored or rejected. As in any organization, the higher ranking individuals are in their positions for a reason and the members must trust they are making the correct decisions.
This is a round about way (politically correct?) of saying some would like to move more quickly and step up the pace of new member recruitment. The Klub leadership has taken a more passive approach. I can tell you this is in step with some chapters. Some have taken Jim's suggestions and made an attempt to gain the support of their chapter. In the two instances I am familiar with both were soundly defeated. Ya see there are chapters that have morphed into the image of their officers. These chapters may not hold to the view that gaining new members is the action they want to take. Are they concerned that they are on a death spiral? They are not concerned one bit about this. They will be dead and not need to worry about it!

Another entity in the equation are the dealers. If one has never worked on commission or owned a business of their own it is difficult to understand how easily a potential customer/deal can go south (not closed). Nothing happens, at Newmar, until a sale is made. Every action taken by the Klub is looked at (and rightfully so) so that it will enhance the Newmar Brand. Action taken by the Klub must support the Newmar sales effort. Sometimes great ideas for the Klub are not the correct thing to do from a Dealers/sales view point.

The Klub will continue its' evolution. What I feel individual members can do is take Jim's suggestions and take their own action. Bring in new members. Ask to form new chapters with members who feel the same way. Vote new members into chapter officer positions. Then they can take a more leadership role higher up in the organization.

I am not going to mention the specific instances where "something different" was proposed and rejected. That would not be appropriate.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
GaryKD:

Boy, I've read and re-read, and re-re-read your post (above), and I'm totally confused,.....or really ignorant !!

One thing I need to emphasize and clear up (at least I THINK I do) has to do with your statement in the paragraph commencing...."Not knowing what it takes.....", etc. you say "....it is not right to be critical when suggestions are ignored or rejected." Have I written something or indicated somehow that I am "criticizing" the NKK Board, it's leadership, or Newmar in general???????? I CERTAINLY AM NOT ! If I'm misunderstanding your statement(s), I apologize. Having my degree in Organizational Managment AND Communication, and having worked as a Dept. Manger and in Hospital Mgmt. for twenty years, AND then as a Real Estate Broker (commission based/owner owned) for an additional 13 yrs., I greatly admire and support the Newmar organization including operation of the Kountry Klub.

I know I'm rather new to this discussion about encouraging greater membership and participation in the Newmar Kountry Klub, but, it's beginning to appear that this topic represents some kind of "sore point" and I've somehow "stepped into it" !!
I'm certainly sorry, didn't mean to be or sound critical of anyone, and, although still surprised and confused, I'll try to limit my activities related to promoting NKK membership.

Thanks.

Steve
Old 11-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Steve,
My post was in no way meant to imply you are being critical of anything in the NKK. My post was an answer to your request. Put another way, how the NKK works does not lend itself to changes in direction. The NKK is a self perpetuating organization. This is not good or bad it is just a fact. The NKK has grown, on its' own, for many years. Now that is not happening. Change is required to invite new members into the Klub. This change will be very difficult for the Klub to morph into. Additional details are in my earlier post.