Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2016, 11:23 AM   #1

08 Damon Tuscany 4055 - Dead Coach Batteries?

Would bad/dead coach batteries cause the following?

2008 Damon - Batteries may be original...

Awning motor would not bring awning in?
Many outlets in the coach are not working?
One ac will work and one will not.
Fridge will not work on AC "error message says no AC"

When I click on =votl meter built in to coach it sates 13.1 while plugged in.

All of this while plugged in to 50 amp shore power.
Same situation with genset running.

The batteries look low on water. If I add water might they take a charge?

Do you have to replace all 4? Or should I get them tested and replace just any that are bad?

Any other advice would be helpful?

Also, there is some acid/corrosion in my battery compartment.
Any suggestions for cleaning and getting rid of that?

Thanks !

Mike
lyonsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsden View Post
Would bad/dead coach batteries cause the following?

2008 Damon - Batteries may be original...

Awning motor would not bring awning in?
Many outlets in the coach are not working?
One ac will work and one will not.
Fridge will not work on AC "error message says no AC"

When I click on =votl meter built in to coach it sates 13.1 while plugged in.

All of this while plugged in to 50 amp shore power.
Same situation with genset running.

The batteries look low on water. If I add water might they take a charge?

Do you have to replace all 4? Or should I get them tested and replace just any that are bad?

Any other advice would be helpful?

Also, there is some acid/corrosion in my battery compartment.
Any suggestions for cleaning and getting rid of that?

Thanks !

Mike
Hi
I might know about a couple of these things. Lets take them one at a time,:

Awning- Assuming that it runs off of the coach batteries. With my coach the batteries are charged when the generator is running or the coach is connected to coach power. Many things which run with 12v power runs off of the batteries only. If they are dead there is no 12v power. Some things won't run. I need a working coach battery to see if that is the problem. Check your manual to see if that is the case with your converter setup.

Batteries. Sounds like you need to replace them. Once the acid/water falls below the plate tops they are generally toast. If you have 4 than chances are you have four 6v golf cart batteries working in 2 pairs of 2 to get a 12v output. That would be a nice battery bank once working. If you won't be dry camping then you can replace them with 2 6v or one 12v. Spend some time researching this because batteries are expensive and you need to decide what is best foe you. For now, while troubleshooting you can use any working 12v battery. Remove the dead ones. You cant mix old and new.

110 outlets not working- check the circuit breakers. If they are tripped then reset. If they trip again right away then you either have a short or a bad breaker. These can be ground fault type outlets. Try checking every outlet in the RV for a tripped GF button and trip and reset them all. Sometimes one out of the way outlet can have the button for others far away so check them all.

AC- You may have a switch to power front, rear or both AC's. Try all positions.

Fridge- That could be a number of things possibly related to the above.

Generator- Check the manual and see where the breaker on the generator is and reset it.

Rust in battery compartment- Yes. Brush pot all of the rust. Clean carefully. Coat with paint-able rust reformer and paint it. This rust, together with the low water level in the batteries could mean a malfunctioning charging system.

Do the checks above. You might have done some already. Let us know what you find and get some sort of battery in there. For now don't leave the battery connected when not in use. Best to take it easy and solve one problem at a time.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:47 AM   #3

New batteries are in...

I checked my coach batteries and had two that were bad. Replaced them all with Interstate GC 6 volt batteries.

1 Problem still exists.

Only about 1/2 of my 110 outlets are working in the coach.
My magnum energy readout says I have 54 amps and 14.2 volts when plugged in to shore power. When I unplug and start the generator, I have the same read outs but still have an issue with the same 110 outlets not working.

Some of the 110 outlets are working.

The inverter appears to be working properly and there are no error lights blinking on my switch box with surge protector.

When all of this happened we were camping during a huge storm with alot of ligtning (ligtning stuck a tree 30 yards from our motorhome.

Is there anything else you can think to check? I am thinking it has to be one of my breakers...
Old 07-31-2016, 07:51 AM   #4

Still looking for problem....

Started at the coach fuse box - Have 220 at the box and some breakers have 120 and some have nothing. Looks like all of the ones that have nothing are on the same "bar".

Double checked power at shore power source, switch box and fuse box again and same issue. Have 220 at all of these locations.

I reset the inverted it is a magnum 2000 (appears to be working fine) green blinking light indicating no issues. The readout display says "float charging" which should be normal.

So I am not getting power to some of my fuse breakers....are some of them powered through the inverter?

Any thoughts here.....
Old 07-31-2016, 08:30 AM   #5

No Power to Half Of The AC Breakers

Quote:
Started at the coach fuse box - Have 220 at the box and some breakers have 120 and some have nothing. Looks like all of the ones that have nothing are on the same "bar".

Double checked power at shore power source, switch box and fuse box again and same issue. Have 220 at all of these locations.

I reset the inverted it is a magnum 2000 (appears to be working fine) green blinking light indicating no issues. The readout display says "float charging" which should be normal.

So I am not getting power to some of my fuse breakers....are some of them powered through the inverter?

Any thoughts here.....
Likely cause is that a power surge destroyed one of the large relays in the AC Transfer box. The circuitry in that box controls whether your AC Breaker Panel receives AC from the Generator OR the power cord. The relay for one leg of the 220 is working, and the relay for the other leg is NOT.

Follow the input leads from your AC breaker panel, and you will located the TRANSFER SWITCH box. Most look like a 5 inch square cube box with a black thermoplastic cover. Some are constructed with a metal box. You can find an example here..
https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-D.../dp/B003VAWNVK
bamaguy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:47 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy911 View Post
Likely cause is that a power surge destroyed one of the large relays in the AC Transfer box. The circuitry in that box controls whether your AC Breaker Panel receives AC from the Generator OR the power cord. The relay for one leg of the 220 is working, and the relay for the other leg is NOT.

Follow the input leads from your AC breaker panel, and you will located the TRANSFER SWITCH box. Most look like a 5 inch square cube box with a black thermoplastic cover. Some are constructed with a metal box. You can find an example here..
https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-D.../dp/B003VAWNVK
What he said. If you want to verify that a second way first then swap a breaker from the bad side to the good side and see if that circuit starts to work. If so then you know. Many recommend a surge protector between the plug and post for that reason.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:53 AM   #7

Quote:

Any thoughts here.....
lyonsden,

Sent you a Private Message.

-Gary
Old 08-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #8

Issue Resolved

Thank you everyone for the input.
Problem solved.

Faulty 50 Amp breaker in fuse box.

Had both legs hot going out of the switch box. So the problem had to be in the fuse box.

Issue resolved - new 50 amp breaker - $9.95

Tags
batteries, damon