Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #1

On my 2006 Damon Challenger 355, I have no 12v power to the front under tv cabinet light, the antennae power booster and to the 12v cigarette lighter located under the instrument panel, passenger side. I checked all the 15a fuses and checked the operation of all the 12v items in the motorhome. All fuses are good and everything works. Is there an inline fuse somewhere? Why don't I have power to the front light, antennae power booster and cigarette lighter?
novi2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #2

On my 2006 Damon Challenger 355, I have no 12v power to the front under tv cabinet light, the antennae power booster and to the 12v cigarette lighter located under the instrument panel, passenger side. I checked all the 15a fuses and checked the operation of all the 12v items in the motorhome. All fuses are good and everything works. Is there an inline fuse somewhere? Why don't I have power to the front light, antennae power booster and cigarette lighter?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #3

novi2some, I have never seen an inline fuse on mine, anywhere. I'm not saying there isn't one, just that I haven't seen one. That said, let's assume that all your fuses are good.
Do you only have one under cabinet light? Is it in the middle? I have two reading lights, one on either side of the TV. (I'm just trying to figure out the wiring)

I know that the antenna booster has a fuse inside it. (I should say that my 1992 Mallard's booster had one. I went out and bought a new one just to find out that the fuse was blown on the old one) I'm wondering if there was a 12 volt "out" on the booster and Damon ran the light and the 12 volt outlet...Nah, the outlet uses way to much power.

I think I would start at the outlet. Check the power lead to it, then try to follow it back through the dash to it's origin, if possible. That's the easiest thing to get to. After that, you'll have to at least pull the TV to get to the other wires.
I'm thinking, if it were me, I think I would attach a fused 12 volt wire to one of these and see if they all work or if the fuse blows. It would show if they were tied in together. I'm thinking yes. Anyone else? Sam?
I wish Damon had a wiring diagram!

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #4

I found a bad 15a fuse under the hood in a gang of 12v fuses. I replaced it and power was returned to the power booster and the cigarette lighter plug. The power was still out to the under tv light. I did find a 10a fuse in the slot of the underhood fuse block in a 7.5a location. This location seemed to be dead. The fuse checked as good. Using a trouble light, we chacked all the fuses and this 10a in the 7.5a location showed no power. We did check it with the ignition key in run position as well as in the off position. There was no power to this 10a location. Seems like this is an open circuit. I am wondering if this is the circuit for the under tv light. If thi is the circuit, I am wondering if the circuit somewhere is open along the wiring system. As stated, there is no power to this one light under the tv. Still looking for an answer. I might just tap the power wires leading to the booster
Old 05-09-2008, 04:12 PM   #5

In the last three coaches we have had (two of them Damon Intruders) in order to get the under TV lamp to light, the instrument light dimmer wheel near the headlight switch has to be turned all the way up past the detent. Only then would the under TV lamp work.

There were posts about Ford chassis where if the dimmer wheel was left in the "on" position, it would eventually drain the battery. At the time it was posted that this would not happen on Chev. chassis.

(2nd one, 1st was a 2000 - FORDFORDFORD)
obbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:34 AM   #6

I'll check this out. This wasn't mentioned to me when I contacted Damon Customer Service. They just told me to jump another cicuit to get power to the light. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:42 AM   #7

My under the TV light is also controlled by a switch on the dash. It has a light over and open book symbol over the switch on the dash.

1997 Damon Challenger
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:08 AM   #8

Thanks. I don't have my motorhome here at my house. Next week when I bring it home, I'll check it out. When I contacted Damon rep, he told me he would have to check this out to see if it is controlled by a dash switch. If this is the way mine works, I feel a litle stupid.Thanks for checking it out on yours.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:10 AM   #9

Checked mine a nd it is also controlled by the dimmer switch. John H....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:36 AM   #10

Thanks for checking your motorhome. I wish the Damon Rep would of known this. He just told me to jump a new wire to the light. I did check with the ignition on or off, but did not think it would be controled by the dimmer switch since there ir an on/off switch on the light.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:01 AM   #11

I guess it's hard for the reps to know everything, but something so simple???? It is strange that there would be a switch on a light that is already switched elsewhere, but it is probably just that it's a standard light that is used all through the MH and is easier than useing two types (one switched and one unswitched). John H.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:33 AM   #12

My light under the TV wasn't working and then it suddenly started working.
I checked and sure enough it too is connected to the dimmer switch. I must have been playing around with the dimmer switch.
I noticed today that it prevents making a long reach to the switch under the TV if you use the dimmer switch to turn on the light. May be a safety factor for me and other short arm people.
ear-doc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by novi2some:
On my 2006 Damon Challenger 355, I have no 12v power to the front under tv cabinet light, the antennae power booster and to the 12v cigarette lighter located under the instrument panel, passenger side. I checked all the 15a fuses and checked the operation of all the 12v items in the motorhome. All fuses are good and everything works. Is there an inline fuse somewhere? Why don't I have power to the front light, antennae power booster and cigarette lighter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has been my experience that almost all 12 volt problems lead directly to a bad ground. Case in point, my F-I-L was in his MH a 1975 Winnebago on his way home and he was stopped for no tailights. all I had to do was re-establish the ground to the lights. They had corroded making their operation unpredictable.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #14

Thanks for all the responses. I should have written to this forum and not contact and listen to the Damon Rep. He just told me to jump a new wire to the lamp.